1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi and there buzzing transformers - Hitachi's View

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sbuckley, Jun 25, 2004.

1. sbuckley

sbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got off the phone with Hitachi customer services. I asked them if there are any know issues with the 42pd5200. The rep said 'No'. I asked him about the buzzing noise from the transformer, his answer was - This is not a problem. he told me that the transformer was high power and designed to be kept on for a long time ie - for displays in airports and thats why you get the buzzing. I said that the 42pd5200 was a home model and shouldn't buzz. He told me that they could replace the transformer with a lower powered version to reduce the buzzing. He also said that all tv's buzz, i told him that my philips widescreen did make anywhere near the noise the Hitachi makes. He suggested i go back to my old tv. I can't understand why they didn't put the low power transformer in this model if it was intended for home use. Also you shouldn't have to get them out to fix it right after you have bought it. I'm sure if people keep hassling them, they may just mod them before they sell them. just have to keep your fingers crossed.

shaun :eek:

2. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new Hitachi 37" (5000 series) plasma and there is *no* noise whatsoever from it, period. Whilst I am concerned about some issues (rainbows/banding) with it I can say that noise is not one of them, it is totally silent.
    Perhaps some of these noisy ones have problems with loose laminations in the transformer? (that's if they still have laminated tx these days - probably not...)