Hitachi 7200 MUCH better than PW6? Selling a s/h PW6 advice pls?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ollie501, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Having posted recently about a fault with my Toshiba 42WP37 (which is basically a PW6 panel), I took advice from Richer Sounds, on the cost of repair...

They advised that it would cost a minimum of £400, and that's before parts! Based on that info, I went ahead and ordered a new plasma yesterday, namely a Hitachi 7200.

I've since spoken to a local(ish) dealer this morning, who after negotiation with Toshiba over parts, have advised that including VAT the repair cost will be £112, which is obviously a susbstantial difference from RS's price!

I'm now in a quandary as to whether to:

a/ Keep the Toshiba and cancel the order, and finance agreement, for the Hitachi or..
    b/ Keep the Hitachi, pay for the Toshiba to be repaired and then sell it.
    c/ Shoot myself! :suicide:

I'm quite keen on the idea of having a HD-Ready set, which the Hitachi is, but in terms of standard definition, is the picture quality of the Hitachi going to be sufficient to justify getting rid of the Toshiba. It's been a very good set, although given current standards is a little long in the tooth, particularly the 846x480 resolution.

What sort of price should I be looking for if I decide to sell the (fixed) Toshiba, bearing in mind it would include speakers, pedestal stand and 3 terminal inputs (scart, component & composite/S-Vid) - I've spotted a couple of PW6 sets on fleabay which have gone between £700 and £950, and others listed at £500 which haven't sold at all, so....?

If the Hitachi is going to absolutely wipe the floor with my current set, then it would obviously be preferable to go for the new set, but if the SD picture is going to be of little difference, then is it still worth doing?

The problems the set has caused in terms of stress over the last week, quotes for repairs, new sets, finance agreements etc, has been a right royal nightmare to put it mildy, and I've lost a fair amount a sleep over it, since it is a LOT of money, for me anyway.

Any advice very gratefully received, although quickish answers would be appreciated greatly, since if the consensus of opinion goes in favour of the Tosh, then I need to be a bit quick about cancelling the Hitachi...

Thanks as always

Ollie

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If the plasma was a PW6 then that was one good SD plasma if not the best

but it did require alot of care with connections to get the best out of it

The hitachi will be brighter, punchier and sharper but will fail in contrast, colour, texture. It is hard to say if the hitachi will be better picture wise for SD but I think the PW6 would be bettter if setup right, but that is becasue I like the deep smooth textured picture it gives

You may prefere the sharper, brighter picture the hitachi gives. But I wouldnt say it would wipe the floor of the PW6 which is a damn good panel which still is one of the best for SD

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    A thing to note about the PW6 picture wise

At first glance it may seem nothing special but after awhile you see how good it really is

Noise free
    deep blacks
    Tuxtured colour
    Smooth Motion

Much like a normal CRT set but 42"

Then you see another panel that hits you with it's brightness and it's pin sharp image.

But after regular veiwing you notice how "digital" it is

Digital noise
    Bad with motion
    Unnatrual skin tones
    Poor crushed blacks

Alot of plasma are or are becoming to digital looking for my liking