Hitachi 65QLEDSM20: cannot change HDMI EDID Version (no sound from Bluray player)

billyblue

Novice Member
Just purchased this TV a few days ago and on connecting the old (6+ years old) Bluray disc player to a HDMI port the TV displays video but no audio. The Bluray player audio format is set to PCM. Have tried the general sound setting on the TV set to PCM and also tried Auto, no change.
The Bluray player works fine on the old TV that was replaced, and I tried using a known good HDMI cable from another device.
I thought that perhaps because the Bluray player is so old it might be a mismatch with the HDMI format versions. On the TV I went into Settings-Device Preferences-Input-HDMI EDID Version. The manual says that I should be able to select version 1.4 or 2.0 or Auto, but it is greyed out and won't let me change the setting.
Would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

• Hitachi 65qledsm20 TV User Manual.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 24

Fred Smith

!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi Jaycee, thanks for the advice. I reset power on both Bluray player and TV but no change.

If you have any other devices try connecting those to the TV and see if that 1.4/2.0 menu activates if it does set it manually to 1.4 then connect the BD player.

There is a Dr HDMI device from HD Fury to bypass EDID issues but that would cost almost as much a new cheap BD player.

Could try a factory reset of the TV on the off chance it works.

Upvote 0

billyblue

Novice Member
I've tried all of the above suggestions - thank you, much appreciated - but no joy. The HDMI EDID version is greyed out on all inputs and won't allow it to be changed. Tried Hitachi's tech support but their first level help knew less than me, and no response from escalation.

I bought a cheapie Bluray player and works fine. Resolved, albeit not the solution I hoped for ;)

Thanks y'all.

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The EDID version should not really matter if all you are doing is sending Video and Audio to the TV - have you confirmed the 'not working' BDP reacts the same on all HDMI Inputs on the TV?

Ensure the Player is set to 2.0 PCM as that is all the TV is going to support.

Joe

Upvote 0

billyblue

Novice Member
The EDID version should not really matter if all you are doing is sending Video and Audio to the TV - have you confirmed the 'not working' BDP reacts the same on all HDMI Inputs on the TV?

Ensure the Player is set to 2.0 PCM as that is all the TV is going to support.

Joe
Hi Joe
Thanks for the advice. I tried all HDMI inputs, and BDP set to PCM but no change.
Ended up buying a new BDP, they are quite cheap, and it is working fine.
Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom