Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hitachi 55PMA550E

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sdk, Feb 23, 2005.

1. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have this plasma, is it any good. I will not be using it for sport at all.

2. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Yes, I have this screen and I am very happy with it. I looked at various makes of 50" screens and also the 55" Fujitsu. I have no regrets at all with my final decision to buy the Hitachi. Sport looks great also. I didn't think I'd end up buying an Hitachi

3. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear, have you tried it with any form of hi def materiall? And burn in and such, how are black levels? And what dvd player are you using? What is the diffrence between the one with the e and the one without the E?

4. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I haven't tried HD material yet but a lot of the SD material looks excellent. Some material off sky looks better than some DVD's that I have watched.

I have not seen any signs of burn in at all although I don't tend to watch channels with channel logos displayed for very long.

Blacks are very good compared to my Sony CRT which may just have the edge over the Hitachi. Whites (which don't seem to get mentioned much) are excellent. The screen gives a bright and very realistically coloured image.

I am presently using a Pioneer 868 DVD player over DVI which works well although I wouldn't say that it was that much better than my old Sony 735 over component. Having said that, I didn't spend too long comparing the two players.

As far as I know, there is only one model of 55" Hitachi in the UK at present and I suspect that some retailers may just leave the "E" off the end of the 55PMA550E for some reason or other.

I really thought that I would end up buying a Pioneer or a Panasonic after reading posts on this forum, but I as I previously said, I've no regrets at all in buying the Hitachi.

Steve.