Hitachi 5200 + XBOX with Component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by loadsofleads, Jun 8, 2004.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title suggests. I have a brand new Hitachi 5200 which I have hooked up to my Xbox via component. There seems to be inteference across the screen, red green and blue lines vertically along the screen albeit pretty faint. Im guessing it's a prob with the component lead, might be worth trying a scart RGB cable. Anybody have any expierience of using a plasma with an Xbox component cable :confused:

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    is your box modded ? mine isn't and sounds like youve got same as me

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it's not modded. You have exactly the same problem with a Hitachi plasma you say . Hmmmm that doesn't sound good :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm running xbox via component to my 42PD5200

Get it chipped
    Get the official Hi-Def X-box kit
    Get the Enigma video switch disc and make your uk xbox think it's yank
    Turn on the hi def outputs
    Get yourself some Hi Def games such as MX Unleashed- in full 1080 res it's bloody marvelous.

Bingo.

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    that exactly my intentions when I build up the courage to do it myself :laugh: . or funds to get it done :D

6. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Probably cost you £70 or so all in.. that's with a chip proffesionally fitted and the hi def kit ordered from lik-sang.

Not a lot really

7. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    @ Taffyboyo,

Do you get a slight buzzing noise coming from your panel? MY 5300 does so just trying to get feed back from others.

8. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yo Scooby, you have an Xbox connected to a Hitachi 5200 and your not getting any banding issues :confused:
    I have now chipped my xbox and connected it via component, the picture is much better, Rallisport Challange 2 looks bloody marvellous, but there is STILL very very faint multi couloured lines vertically down the screen. Maybe I have a dodgy component box, the leads are IXOS £60 jobbies, so they are ok :eek:
    What component box are you using and where did you get it.
    Any other Hitachi 5200 owners out there having banding issues via component Xbox :confused:

9. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taffyboy,
    The resaon for your banding is most probably the component cable itself. I used to have the same effect on my plasma when I was using a cheap component cable. I bought the official HiDef-Kit from Microsoft and now everythings fine, in fact besides the banding, PQ was improved again by the MS cable compared to the noname cable.

Regs,
    Markus

10. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    continuity

As I said, I'm using IXOS £60 cables. As good as the Microsoft cables are I doubt they beat them on quality. The only thing it could be is the component box, that is a weak link in the chain. I actually have two component boxes, both exibit banding but one gives awful ghosting the other is pin sharp except for the banding. I hope it's not a ALIS screen problem because if it is, there is no way to solve the problem short of buying a new plasma. Do you use a ALIS screen :confused:

11. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been playing Soul Calibur 2 on it, no banding :confused:
    Great I guess, but the game was running in 4:3 mode and my plasma was not allowed to zoom, or strech the picture, it was stuck on 'full' :confused:
    What the hell's going on here, anybody know if this game is 720p or 1080i.

12. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Soul Calibur 2 runs in 720p but only in 4:3 mode which is what you have probably got it set at. SC2 also runs in 480p at 16:9

13. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just because you use IXOS cables, it does not mean that they cannot be faulty. If you can lay your hands on a cheap alternate cable as a test it might be worth giving it a go.

14. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When run in 720p it's looks sublime and there is NO banding, when forced to run in 480p the banding returns, what the hell could cause that :confused:

15. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try connecting to AV1 component. I have no interference or banding. However, on AV2 there is banding (wierd). Btw I am using high quality Monster Cables: Gamester 400x component xbox cable and Lightwave 100x to my hitachi. Everything is pin sharp and excellent picture.

16. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    This sounds just like a problem I had and still have with my Iiyama C480T via component video.

If I set my xbox to NTSC mode and tell it to use 480p/720p/1080i, everything is great.
    and until recently when an MS update made the Dashboard available in progressive, via the joypad button hold, I use to get tight vertical lines in the dash only (due to the dash being 480i).

However about 2 months ago I bought the PAL version of Indycar Racing 2k5, this like a few other PAL games wont work in NTSC mode, so as M$ dont support PAL progressive I had to set my xbox to PAL to play this game, when I do every PAL game I have has slight green and red washy vertical lines over the image (NTSC interlaced looks better as there are faint lines but not RED and greeny).

I too thought it was my cheapo 8 quid cable so I bought an IXOS component Lead......
    And there was no change, infact the bloody thing is so heavy it loosens at the back of the xbox now and then and I lose colour.

It is my conclusion that when not outputting progressive video, the xbox outputs some not fully standardized (possibly RGB not YUV?) in interlaced mode that certain Screens or sockets to that screen can not fully interperate.

Do not waste 40 quid plus buying an expensive cable, the chances are you will see no change