1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 5200 or 5300 or something else??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by milesoneill, Dec 15, 2004.

1. milesoneill

milesoneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've convinced the missus that a plasma tv is the way to go :thumbsup: , so before I fork out £2000ish I'm after some advice.
    I think I've settled on a Hitachi, either the 42PD5200 or 5300. I fancy the 5300 as the seperate media box means less unsightly wires running along the mantlepiece. On the otherhand, I'm wary of HDTV and the fact that the 5300 isn't high-def.
    So what are my options? If I buy the HDef 5200 screen I will have a bunch of unsightly wires all across the new mantlepiece (is there a media box available like there is for the 5300 which will reduce the no. of wires and also allow me to keep the high def capability?).
    If I buy the 5300 I will lose the high-def but will only have one connection to the plasma. Is it just the media-box that is non-high-def and can this be upgraded later(?) or am I stuck buying a new plasma in a couple of years time when HD hits our screens?
    Is there another screen/option from the vast array of plasmas out there?
    Now, time to check the old savings account......

Miles.

2. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for it the hitachi 42pd5200 is a brilliant screen lookes good and blowes you away when fed with good signal eg digi/cable and on dvd it is out of this world :thumbsup: :hiya: :thumbsup:

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some TV's accept hi-def signals, but that does not mean that they will display a picture that is any better. There is a limit to what can be displayed on 1024 x 1024 pixels. When Sky HD comes out, the boxes will certainly down-convert to lower def formats, so the TV won't be obsolete overnight.

4. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    also it is not the box on the 5300 that is the problem, but the fact that it connects to the screen using the connection you'd need for the HD feed

5. jonslon

jonslon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But remember that the 5200 although it offers DVI, it does not support it at 50Hz which is what will be used by Sky and others in Europe. It's the main reason I returned my Hitachi, but as soon as they release the series they're currently selling in Aisa or similar (high number of greyscales. HDMI and 50Hz support) I'll be ordering an Hitachi plasma again! The picture was tremendously impressive, especially via component.

6. milesoneill

milesoneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. Jonslon:You mention that the 5200 doesn't support 50Hz. Does the 5300?
    Noidea: you said the HD connection on the screen is being used by the media box. - is it not possible to pass a HD signal through the box to the screen?

7. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    go for the 5200 if you can for the dvi input
    its a cracking screen

also if sky do broadcast hd this is the set that they selling at the moment under there name
    so maybe forward looking for them

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you saying that the Sky plasmas are rebadged Hitachi's ?

If you are, you are wrong, because the Sky plasma TV's are not 1024 x 1024, as all the 5xxx series are !

9. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just looked at the DEC Sky magazine at the Skybuy section and the 42inch one clearly states 1024 * 1024 for the top of their range set. the lower range one is 852/480. Perhaps Sky get their screens from more than one source.

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Actually the 32PD5x00 is 852 x 1024.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, Ian, because it's a 32" screen. The thread was discussing 42" screens. I have not seen the latest Sky promo, because I already have a plasma, and (quite frankly) Sky's prices are OTT.

P.S. Just looked at the Sky ad - it does look like a Hitachi 5200, but "piano black" sounds more like Panasonic ?

12. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42PD5200 Manual states that it can display a 1080i/720p signal at 50 or 60 hz over the DVI feed. Though I haven't tried it

13. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the manual says that. Well, which manual are you referring to? Which country? Is there an on-line version where that statement is included?

14. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, you're right. 1080i 50hz & 60hz / 720 60hz only.

Do you know if we will be able to get a freq. converter?

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, you will, but the price will probably be high to begin with. Basically it means that you will be feeding in full frames at 60Hz and reading them out of memory at 50Hz, and that's likely to take a lot of memory.

16. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, and no. Won't work this way, therefore won't take excessive memory off the single operation of FRC'ing. Otherwise things would seem to go rather slowly, not to mention you'd lose the audio sync (either that, or Kate Bush woud have the voice of a Marvin Gaye... :laugh: ). Btw you're describing the process of going from 60Hz to 50Hz, actually the reverse will be required (would have opposite effects too, i.e. Marvin Gaye with the voice of Kate Bush :rolleyes: ).

There's a thread about Panasonic and HDMi boards next to this one, you'll find information about FRC'ing and HD Video Scalers/Processors that can do the job (and yes, they _are_ expensive toys!).

17. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i have read reviews( i know not the best source) that say the new sky plasma is the hitachi 5200, see what plasma
    they review both sets and give them good reviews
    it is a hitachi rebadged

18. milesoneill

milesoneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm..it seems the 5200 is the way to go.....even if I'm with Telewest!
    Now how do I go about hiding all those cables??? :(

19. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    if you are any good with a solering iron try somewere like lets automate http://www.letsautomate.com/ for video cable and make your own cables (they have video distribution cable) if not contact your local quality hifi store and i am sure they will help