Hitachi 5200 Anything I Can Do?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gazgits, Mar 24, 2006.

1. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many apolagies if this has been asked before. I bought this screen just over a year ago and at the time was ensured that it was HD capable, both by Hitachi and Sky. Reading the latest reports i believe this is now not true. Is there anything i can do such as modding the tv or even claimning for a missold tv. Im furious that after spendind over 2 grand that this tv will now not recieve HD pictures.

Thank you

2. Disturber

Disturber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I was in exactly the same position as you last August. I had purchased the 5200 in Comet in March as I was also told that it was HD capable.
    However after several months realised i was going to have a few problems.
    Went into Comet in August and complained to the manager that i had been misled into buying the tv, also bombarded him with 720p-50/60 info which easily confused him.
    They offered to swap the TV for similar priced one. I wanted the Hitachi 42pd7200 but this was £500 more than i had paid (£2000), so gave me a full refund.
    Went home and bought the 7200 online for £150 less than i had originally paid.
    (7200 now online for £1400!)

3. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunatly i dont think i will be able to do this as I bought online and if i remember correctly the company didnt state if it was HD or not. To me blame lays with both Hitachi and Sky. Althoug htrying to get anything from them would i imagine be an extreme uphill battle.
    I was hoping that there will be some convertor or magic box of tricks that can convert the format for me. Still i can but hope

4. Whitey1977

Whitey1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have the same screen. The reason it is not HD Ready is because it will not display 720P @ 50Hz. It will though display 1080i @ 50Hz. It has been officailly stated that the sky HD box will have an output option of auto/1080i/720p, so in theory we should be able to set the sky box to 1080i and watch HD. Any programme broadcast in 720p would then be converted to 1080i by the sky box for the TV

Hope this helps

Whitey

5. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yes i have just read something similiar, if this is true it is great news.