1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi 5200 advice please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by urbanlegend, Jan 16, 2005.

1. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi all,
    been trawling these forums for what seems like ages now.decided on a hitachi 5200 based on price,looks etc.im a complete novice as my current tosh 32" crt is about 10 years old!i am thinking about buying the wireless JVC THSW8 home cinema simply because i like the idea of no trailing cables for the rear speakers.any advice on compitability and best connections would be so helpful as i havent got a clue on which cables to buy for the best quality source or where to put em! :confused: (as ive heard that this screen is great if you use the best quality connections).ive also got to connect sky+, xbox and a vcr if the wife gets her way and they normally do dont they :rolleyes: thankyou in advance.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If (like mine) your wife doesn't like wires trailing everywhere, you should consider the Hitachi 5300 instead of the 5200. Both TV's are similar, but the 5300 has a separate tuner/switching box, which means that the plasma display only has a power cable and an umbilical cable going to it. The umbilical cable is 10 feet long, and it connects the display panel to the box. All your external devices (Sky box, DVD player, etc) connect to the box.

Now, I can't say I'm over impressed with the JVC surround system. The rear speakers use wireless to connect, and this will almost certainly cause noise (a hiss) from those speakers. In any case, the rear speakers will need some sort of power cable. The JVC is a good low-priced starter system, but I guarantee that once you have caught the cinema sound bug, you will have sold it within a year, and bought something better :)

3. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for your reply nick.i was gonna go for the 5200 so i dont lose the dvi connection which seems benificial.what are your thoughts?also yes maybe the jvc will create some hiss but a budget system is as far as i can stretch to avoid an ear bashing from her indoors :blush:and i really do like the sound of no cables to run to the back of the room, but im sure i will upgrade in the future.what sort of connection set up would you advise?any help most appreciated mate thankyou.

4. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I was also looking at the 5200, and decided upon this after looking at price, spec etc.

Given the HDDVD,HDTV etc i would say a dipsplay with a digital input is the only way to buy now, i can see the Panny viera screens and the others without either DVI or HDMI connections being left behind within 6-12 months, and i can see prices for non digital plamas's going lower than there digital brothers. Go for the 5200 unless you need the hang on the wall value of a media box.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I suggest you read one of the many threads on HDTV already posted. I haven't got time to go through it all again, except to say that unless you intend to buy a new HDTV DVD player and HDTV Sky+ box within the next 5 years (which I don't) then don't worry about DVI, HDMI, etc. HDTV is going to be a very part-time service until at least 2010.