1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 44PD5200 picture problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by crackles, Sep 4, 2004.

1. crackles

crackles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I've just taken delivery of a 44PD5200 plasma TV. Its running Sky through its only scart, and DVD via S-video. I cannot receive an analogue signal due to signal blackspot.
    The picture quality is merely ok via Sky from about 4 or 5 metres away but from about 2 metres or less it is far poorer than I would have expected from a plasma with such good reviews, and I'm sure its worse than my old 25inch Sony CRT.
    The picture is not crisp, and looks kind of 'blocky'. It seems like it may not be showing the correct number of colours? This is especially noticable with text. I've tried a new IXOS scart but this makes no diference.
    The DVD is even worse, with S video or scart (I have no component outputs on my DVD player). The same symptoms as with Sky, but also diagonal lines!
    Is there anything that you experts could suggest?
    I'd really appreciate any thoughts, its driving me mad!
    Cheers all,
    Crackles :smashin:

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    How did your Sony look from 1 meter away ??

With regards to SKY , I think you will find that picture quality will vary from channel to channel , and even programme to programme on the same channel .

There have been loads of threads on settings for the 42" hit plasmas try a search

As for DVD , is the player set to output via S-Video (obvious question) , I run mine with component and have no problems with picture quality

Finally get hold of a set up DVD ,DVE or Avia.Both flavours available from Pierro in the power buy forums , And spend some time setting the picture settings to suit your enviroment ,

All the best
    John

3. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Diagonal lines?
    Sounds like a component connection to me.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    SACD, I'm sure you mean composite, and you could be right. faint cross hatching diagonally is usually due to not enabling RGB on the sky box. Crackles, it's in the services menu, and make sure you've set it to 16:9 while you're in there. Same goes for the DVD, unless it's so old it doesn't do RGB, in which case chuck it out and spend £70 on a new one if you can't afford better. (after buying the screen it's tough I know) But a quick look in the menus is free. I'm not a big Hitachi fan, but they really are not all bad, it should be better than your description. You can connect the DVD player to scart 2 on the sky box. When you turn it on, it will override sky and appear. Turn it off and sky will reappear. 2nd edit..... check you are using the TV scart on your sky box! (Hi epsomjames...) The VCR scart only outputs composite. Your old CRT was far more tolerant of iffy signals, and of course the sheer size of the plasma shows up imperfections.

5. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I yep, I got it mixed up---what a dope.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Being right is more important, you knew what you meant!

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    if I hadn't been sitting down :rotfl:

to late to edit it now MAW :D

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've said it before, it's the pants reliability whicj is my biggest issue. I don't like the picture, but that's my choice. I appreciate others do. I don't like the buzzing, and we all agree on that. If you have a loud one, you are in for a rough ride.