1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 43" RPTV - help!!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mafioso, Apr 28, 2002.

1. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased my Hitachi 43" RPTV and wanted to see if I could improve upon by current geometry set-up as it was a bit out for my taste.
    So being careful, I accessed the service menu and recorded all the parameters before beginning to experiment with the settings. Everything was fine until I started to tinker with the FREQUENCY field under the HORIZONTAL heading.
    My current setting was 06, but when I moved it a few notches lower the picture convergence got worse and then the picture cut-out on me before I had time to readjust and I was left with just the sound. The remote control then refused to work anymore and so I had no alternative but to turn the tv off and on, hoping to be able to put the setting back to what it was.

HOWEVER, after I turned the tv off, it now refuses to turn itself back on and it goes through a series of 3 clicks where it tries to start up, but doesn't. I'm now in a bit of bother as I know that adjusting the service menu is not covered under warranty. So if I do call an engineer out and he manages to retrieve the picture, I'm worried that he will find the tv in service menu and realise that I have been messing with it and so then charge me.

Is there any way I can get the tv going by resetting something or should I playing dum and call an engineer.

Unfortunately, I cannot use the option of getting a replacement tv as this tv was discontinued a couple of months back and there are no more NEW ones around and I don't want to get an alternative as I tested all the others and this came out best in my opinion

Can anyone help me, please?!!!

2. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi mate,
    I've got one of these beauties, and did exactly what you did!!! Best thing to do mate, is deny all knowledge of what you did, and hope upon hope they change it for a new one. Mine TV was totally buggered after I messed with it.
    Just don't touch the service menu again!!! No-one knows anything about this TV, believe me, I've checked! You'll miss the TV, I'm sure.

Cheers,
    John

3. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice Placebo2.

Unfortunately this tv has been discontinued and there are no more new stock anywhere (all ex-dems and graded left) trust me I know!!!

No, I'm going to have to get this baby repaired somehow.
    I've managed to find a sight that stock the service manual for this model. The site is called www.servicemanuals.co.uk and the manual is in CD ROM format for a very reasonable £15, if you're interested?
    I'm hoping that somewhere in there will be explanations of the values in service mode and a clue as to how to recalibrate them without having to open the tv up.

If ALL else fails I'll have to call a Hitachi engineer out and own up if necessary to help solve the problem. I love the tv that much.

Wish me luck.

Marco

PS I still can't understand why tvs have configurations in the service menu that can completely mess up the whole tv without any back-up retrieval system. Why can't they be made like PCs - if you mess-up, just reboot the damn thing and 9 times out of 10 original setting have been retrieved from back-up.
    Just a thought......

4. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Marco,
    Don't purchase the service manual!!!!! It's only got diagram's of the internal structure of the TV! Nothing to do with the TV's actual service menu. I know, I've bought one!

Cheers,
    John

5. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

believe it or not I managed to find a site in Czech Republic which has sent me a pdf file for adjustment settings in the service menu.
    They normally charge a membership fee of 75 euros for 6 months, but when I explained them my problem they sent this pdf file for free!!!! What a result!!!
    It even has repair tips - one of which mentions my problem.

Unfortunately the solution is not a remote control job so I need to call an engineer. In fact most of the adjustment settings in the service menu mode seem to need access to the inside of the tv.

Cheers.

Marco