Hitachi 43 ilumina

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Jam, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Jam

Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think about picking up the 43inch ilumina at empireDirect for £1692?

At the same price point, the only contender for me is the sony dsp41 with the onbard digital tuner - but I would welcome opinion. Esepcially from anyone who owns either of these sets.

2. elric

elric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just bought one of these babies from Unbeatable.com for £1620, I am very impressed with it. Picture is excellent rich colours, no dot crawl,in fact perfect ( I have sky digital and DVD ) and the sound is excellent to. With a DVD and DTS it is really impressive I can really recommend these sets at this price. Also when it comes it has an Hitachi offer of a 5 year tube guarantee for only £75. Have looked at most other sets and read virtually all the various write ups and believe this set is as good as any and better than most.

Cheers

3. Jam

Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, after literally months of debating I think I have finally found my TV.

The extra £75 warranty on the rptv tubes is a big bonus.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Check out the new Panasonic 42PT1. I just took another look at it in a local shop..and I really like the picture...bright and sharp - unlike the older Panasonic 47PT series which were reallly rather dull.

Sorry - you may have made your decision already and I've heard the Hitachi is great (though I never saw one)...

Cheers
    Daz

5. Jam

Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,

I guess the best thing to do is try to compare them all. Unfortunately, the local electrical retailers (comet and curry's et al) only appear to stock certain models. I guess whoever pays them the most for their floor space :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Stupid question alert! Where do you put all your AV stuff, digi box, DVD player etc. Is there an opening underneath the TV? If so, any problems getting remote signals to stuff?
    I thank you.

Cheers,

7. elric

elric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no space under screen it is all taken up by Sub woofer, centre and left and right speakers. you can get cabinets to sit TV on but this raises viewing height above a sitting eye level height. I use a separate hi fi stand for DVD, Video and sky. Dont need an AV amp as the Hitachi has it all built in.

Steve

8. Jam

Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems like a pretty fair price to me for the Hitachi C43WP910TN.

I'm almost comfortable with it.

But if anyone knows where to get one cheaper then I'm all ears.

Well, with a head and other stuff thrown in of course :)

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again!
    I think I'm going to go for this TV. Just a few questions though. Is the set really 91kg? That's really heavy for a rear pro.
    Also, does the set come in two peices, the stand and the screen seperatley? and lasltly, I have both $ky digital and DVD, I'd like both to use their RGB output, anyone know if I can passthrough a RGB signal through a Sony 7700?

Cheers,

10. elric

elric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

No the set does not come in 2 pieces, it comes in a massive box very well packed and it does weigh about 90Kilo. Once out of box ( the hard part needs 2 people ) it is on castors and glides easily around.
    Steve

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!.
    A question about this set, Does it have any known problems, ie, poor auto convergance, bad geomtry, or is it the best RP out thier? I think I'm going to go for it!

Cheers,

12. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had FOUR of these sets delivered direct from hitachi. All faulty, or damaged or something else....

However, most owners seem very happy so i guess I was very unlucky 4 times......

Listen for above average speaker buzz, and check that the auto convergence works well.

A few posts have been seen regarding early screen burn but this can happen on any RP TV.

At just over £1600 a good one has to be very good value for all the features they offer!!

P.S. As I remember there is no option to shift the picture horizonally to allow for RGB shift etc.. None of mine were well positioned on delivery.

Regards

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys!
    Please could someone confirm for me that the Hitachi set uses CRT and not LCD to project the image. Checked the home entertainment website and it said LCD, spoke to a dealer today and he said CRT, please help

Cheers,

14. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Definately CRT.

Regards

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can you fit a decent sized centre speaker on top of this set?
    Sorry to ask so many questions by the way, it's just I'll be buying this TV blind, I haven't seen at any dealers.

Cheers,

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Plecebo, yes you can fit a good size speaker on top. I have a BMW c/speaker about 9" deep fits no prob it looks like a matchbox on top compared to my old 29"sony.
    Just make sure its shielded [just in case!], oh and make sure your drive, street is clear when it comes it had to be unpacked outside as it wouldnt fit in house otherwise [monster].
    Enjoy....

Regards Martin.

17. Jam

Jam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good point actually, I'd like to see this thing up and running before I shell out my cash.

Anyone know a UK dealer with one in the window?

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Finally found one! John Lewis on Oxford st have one on display. Checked to see no one was looking and then pressed the magic eye thingy! It seemed to do a great job, does this convergance centre the picture. Having had a dodgy signal being feed to the TV, I was just wondering whats the geomtry like? a good test I always find is the Alien movie, with the THX logo at the begiinning. Do all the blue bars show? Anywasy, John Lewis have it on sale for £2995! I enquired about price matching and they said sure, but not internet retailers! Bugger. Also, there's a 6-8 week wait!

Cheers,

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered using empire direct, i would have used them but i saw deal too late. The packaging set comes in is very tough should travel well.
    As regards geometry issues etc the store i bought my set let me set my DVD player up and run video essentials disc. geometry was very good as it is on set i got delivered. Hope this helps:D

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!
    Thanks to everyone for their comments on the above TV. I'll be ordering one within the next couple of days! Any setup tips?
    Also, has anyone ordered anything from Sound&Vision in Bolton?
    Any horror/great customer service stories?

Cheers again,