1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PMA400E vs 42PD3000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geordie Jester, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Hi everyone,

The last few weeks I have been reading all the useful info on these boards. I am itching to buy a 42 plasma or 30 lcd. I have searched around for more info, but I just wondered if someone could spell out the technical differences in the two Hitachi's. I realise one is a display panel and the other has a tuner. .....but what about picture quality ?

I watch digital cable TV /DVD/Video and so am I better off going for something like...

http://www.flattelly.co.uk/Merchant...A400E-bundle&Category_Code=SP&Product_Count=0

This bundle looks really good, but then there is a LOT off current feedback praising John Lewis for the warranty.

Regards

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Geordie J,

Welcome to the forums :):hiya:

Am looking at getting something myself to (at some point) and have been juggling between the PD3000 or the 400e due to costs differences and what the total costs would be including all the other bits that are needed other than the screen part.

As far as i'm aware the Hitachi units are identical specs. Both are Alis panels, same 1024x1024 res, and things. Only difference appears to be the tuner and the addition of the speakers.

Although from hitachis website value in () is for Pd3000 unit:

the 400E has no Preset Picture modes (4)
    No preset Audio modes (4)
    No Picture and Text (Yes)
    Picture And Picture (No)
    No Trubass (Yes)
    No Matrix Sound (Yes)
    No Center Channel Mode (Yes)
    No Scarts (3)
    No MM Box (Yes)
    Optional Speakers (Yes)
    Option Tablestand (Yes)

regards
    Gary

3. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi nealgs, I've been told by RS tech support that the 400E is only 853x480 :confused:
    ASH1

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ASH1

I think RS are wrong - its an Alis panel as PD3000, with 1024x1024 resolution :smashin:

AFAIA all of Hitachis current Plasma range are Alis based panels , or at least looking at Hitachis website comparison they are.

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/

do the comparison wizard thingy :)

regards
    Gary

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi nealgs, I've been looking on the Hitachi web site, but can't find the 400E. Except in the set up menu. Do you have a link for it?
    ASH1
    :suicide:

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Hi Nealgs,

Thanks for the welcome ! :hiya:

To be honest the more I look into this, the more confusing it gets. I swing from being fairly sure that plasma is the boy, then I think that LCD is going to the be the way forward. I do like the look of the Sharp LC-30 4e but the jump to 42 " makes the screen so impressively big!

Then there is the slightly worrying screen-burn issues..... coupled with the fact that bottom-line its still v expensive. Its almost so much money (to me) that I can't make the plunge !

Out of interest what were your thoughts on the package I mentioned ?

9. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    nealgs, your right it is 1024x1024. Decision, decisions, do I go for the Relisys, Hitachi, or three month old Pioneer MXE?
    ASH1. :confused:

10. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    the 400 has a slightly differnt coating to the screen which makes the blacks a little bit blacker and dont forget the 400 also has the one fan on it

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    thought the 400's were meant not be quite noisy as they have fans? may be an issue?

JJ

12. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ASH1 - hi m8e, out of the 3 you mention, i'd go for the MXE if you can get a warranty with it or it has some warranty left (Pioneer blacks are blacker IIRC, and also 1024x768)

Otherwise the Hitachi would definately be my next choice, with the Relisy not really in the running.

If I had a choice of Relisys or No Plasma, i'd go for the No Plasma route and save up more cash or wait for prices to drop a bit more - basically I think the statement "You get what you pay for" is true here :)

Gary

13. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gather the fan only runs when the unit is turned on and being watched? is it on in standby mode?

can't believe it being that loud, my PC runs 3 x 80mm Fans and 1 120mm Fan, that is loud - the fan in the unit is more than likely used to cool the processing boards(?) so would only be a 40mm fan at the largest i'd say.

Would have to hear it to really say, but i'd be suprised if it was that intrusive when listening to programs esp watching a DVD at reference levels:smashin:

Gary

14. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm you'd be suprised actually, my 40mm fan on my motherboard's northbridge used to easily be the noisiest and most annoying one in my pc, and that was with four 80mm fans and a 120mm also in there.. the smaller they are the higher pitched they are, so much more noticable..
    Though having said that you are right about it not being an issue when you've got any sound on.. Also we don't know for sure it is a 40mm fan or what rpm it is.

15. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm good point Arsenal. Difficult to demo in a shop probably as well what with customers and other background noises etc

(modded my post to say 80mm fans, as thats what they are, not 60mm DOH! :) )

Gary

16. chrisambler

chrisambler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a Chance to get 42PMA400E from work.

We have three spares....

Does anyone know about the rumours about screen life.....

I would really like one but the screen life really worries me....

17. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums :hiya:

If you want to keep it for over 12yrs, then maybe a worry ;).

I've read somewere that Half-life is around 40k-50khrs before screen reaches half it brightness, so at 8hrs/day usage screen would take 12-17yrs to reach 50% brightness

Something to worry about???? Nope, i'd say unlikely :)

Gary

18. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi nealgs, This is how my demo at RS went. Spent nearly an hour trying to get a picture on the Relisys with my Denon 3800 (component set up). In the end they came to the conclusion that the slot in card was naffed. So no go on the Relisys. They had a Pioneer DVD player DV-747 connected to the Hitachi 400E by S-video. So I asked if I could but my Matrix Reloaded disk in. WOW even in S-video it was a stunning picture, Up close as well as at a distance. :D As already mentioned it does have a fan but I was in a quite shop with no music playing and I was straining to hear it. I also seen today a Fujistu P42HHA10 and I love it, trouble is it's 3.5K. Properly going to see the MXE on the weekend.
    ASH1 :cool:

19. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ASH1,

Hehe - Relisys definately off the list then now:smashin:

Had a demo of the Fujitsu at Harvey Nicholls in Leeds a few weeks back, was being driven with a component feed from a Sony DVD unit.

It's also an ALIS panel display (ala 400E) but with Fujitsu's own processing unit (can't remember what's called) - was excellent screen, except was over £4000.

I think for me it will be either the PD3000 or the 400E when (if) the time comes, although i've yet to see a Panny 6 series in action.

Let us know how the MXe demo goes to

Gary

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Ash1

Do keep in mind that with any of the ALIS panels that your ultimately viewing your Progressive video signal on an Interlaced panel. There's one heck of a lot of video processing going on with these ALIS panels!

Where your outputting Progressive from your DVD player the panel takes the Progressive signal and has to convert your signal into 2 x 1024x512 sub frames before displaying it on the 1024x1024 Interlaced ALIS panel.

I'd go for a Pioneer PDP-433MXE - New or Secondh hand.

Best regards

Joe

21. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ASH1,

Basically as Joe F says

If I could afford the Pioneer, then that would probably be first on my list, but until they are around £2.5k they'll be out of my reach and the Hitachi/Panny 6 would be the next choice

Gary

22. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Have a look at the What Home Cinema site and there are reviews on both these. To the right of the reviews are the specs.

How I am confused coz from what i can c the 400E does both pal and NTSC prog Scan whereas the other does not??????????????

23. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Petrol Head,

They will both accept a PS input (PAL or NTSC), however both will display as Interlaced as this is the way in which they work.

I dont tend to trust these Glossy mags as they tend to be dodgy sources. In my experience, you are far better off talking to a knowledgable dealer such as Joe Fernand from TMF Solutions.