1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi 42pma400e panasonic th42pw5b or toshiba 42wp16

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Adrenochrome, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    if they were all the same price and you had to choose one which one would you choose and why?

reason for asking is that the "enemy" has finally given me the go ahead to get a plasma (yeeha)

these are the three i have narrowed it down to.

at the moment i have sony sky digi-box, sony dav-s300 all in one home cinema and a jvc video that is gathering dust at an alarming rate of knots.

must i buy a seperate tuner or not?

what is the best way to connect it all?

why is the grass green etc etc?

all help is greatly appreciated

i just wonder what the "enemy" is after for herself now:D

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    From a display perspective I looked at these three models side by side. The Tosh and the Panny are similar, perhaps because the screens are both made by Panasonic. The Hitachi had a much poorer picture interms of colour, contrast and blacks and whites.
    However this is an eye thing, one person can have a different view to another so I recommend trying to view them all. Its also worth looking in detail what the connection options are.

Regards,
    Neil.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Tom,

As for buying a separate tuner - no need, use your dusty old JVC through the plasma's composite input. Connect your Sony digibox by RGB through a JSTech RGB to VGA converter, and then to the plasma VGA input. Connect your Sony DAV-S300 into the plasma s-video input. Sorted! By the way, I'd buy a Pioneer 433MXE :) :) Out of your 3 though, I'd go for the Panny.
    Hope this helps.

Steve

4. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Or even simpler; the DigiBox RGB output to Plasma RGB input. The recorder is connected to the second DigiBox VCR SCART and can feed through to the AV input of the Plasma. Select AV input on the Plasma for this mode.

The full version DigiBox is designed to just this with either AV and RGB pass through.

5. mambasna

mambasna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i exchanged the hitachi 42pma400e for the panny 42pw5 'cos the fan/system noise was too intrusive. The panny is fanless, silent, sexier, cheaper (from sevenoaks sound&vision, they were great, even did the exchange on new year's eve!)

6. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont want to buy a tuner either..i hav. sky with 2 scart, vcr with 1 scart, dvd with 1 scart...so how do i connect? to a 42 panny plasma ver5 ..also i keep seeing this jb box converter thing ,what is it why would i need it and how does it work..
    wowwww that was a lot wasnt it .
    any advice will be apreciated.
    great forum here im new as u can guess but i do like the things iv learndid now its a case of rememmemmberin it all:)

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282