1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PMA400e + HDTV connection for Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dizagaox, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Dizagaox

Dizagaox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I was wondering, how exactly would one connect Sky HD to the Hitachi 42PMA400e Plasma Monitor? I've looked at the manual, which does not say anything regarding HD, however I know it is capable of 1080i/25 HDTV.

Sky HD seems to be using only HDMI or DVI (through converter with HDCP), yet I cannot see either ports on the back of my 42PMA400e.

Could anyone solve this for me please?

Cheers.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is some hot news on this, a couple of threads on it, and a big one in the hi def forum. The 1st gen boxes will have component video, which digs you out of a hole. The doubters keep saying 'sky will turn them off' 'not all material will be allowed on component' etc. I just can't see it happening, no point in putting them on then not allowing their use. I'd have thought piracy was a big issue with digital, after all it would be a 'bit for bit' copy. Not so after a couple of A/D conversions, less of a problem with analogue output.

3. Dizagaox

Dizagaox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh, okay. Sky HD's first few boxes have that, but none of the subsequent ones will. So i guess i'll just have to use that.

Will it make the picture quality any less? Or is the only difference that the DVI (HDCP) and HDMI are just for security reasons and easily plugging?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    HDMI is scart for the 21st century, yes. Plug and play, and all that. The quality achieved on any set varies according to the money/development time spent on the different inputs. Take a panasonic as a well known example. There, the analogue inputs are very very good, as good as the digital. In the case of a Pioneer XDE, the digital is excellent, the analogue, particularly RGB scart, not that exciting. Theoretically, digital should be 'better' on a digital display. Not always so. The problem with the PMA 400 is I don't think it takes HD resolutions at 50Hz, now that is a problem. That would mean no picture at all. Check the handbook, read about accepted signals on component input. 720p at 50Hz is what you need. If so, then a 1st gen HD box is pretty likely to work.