1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PMA400E fan modification.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Darren Blake, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have recently been exchanging e-mails with Hitachi Europe regarding the fan noise on my 42PMA400. I thought I would share their responses so far with you.

First point of interest is that to date there have been two versions of the PMA marketed. The early ones had two cooling fans and could be mounted either horizontally ("landscape" orientation) or vertically ("portrait" orientataion). Later versions had one fan removed. These versions should only be mounted horizontally, and the instruction manual has a loose addendum sheet stating this. If you supply Hitachi with the serial number from your screen they can confirm which one you have.

In addition, Hitachi are currently investigating (1) operating the fan on a reduced voltage and (2) doing away with the fan altogether. The testing on the reduced voltage is in their words "almost complete" and ready for release as an official modification. I have asked for clarification on whether this will mean a physical screen exchange, a service menu tweak or an engineer callout.

Hitachi are going to contact me when the fan modification is released to the public. I don't think that I am spilling any corporate beans by telling you this because Hitachi were very open about it with me. I think it will be good news for those of us with PMAs who have issues with fan noise.

Regards,

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Update:

The mod (when it becomes available) will be a "back-off-the-monitor" affair which may require the service guys to take the screen away for a while.

3. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying a new one from richer sounds darren, to be clear is yours a newer or older one and how bad is the fan noise ? Thanks in advance

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I probably should have mentioned that mine is the single fan model. In my opinion the noise is still enough to be a distraction during quiet scenes. I shall be chasing Hitachi about the reduced voltage modification if I do not hear anything else within, say, a month.

You could either make sure you get a single fan model now and get the mod later (like me), or hold off until news on the reduced voltage mod breaks. It sounds like it won't be a long wait.

Have you demo'ed the screen? Mine is on a wall now but for a while it was standing in "free air". The fan sound was not so bad then.

5. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice, considering going for the panasonic 5 based upon what you've said. Only thing is I really want a silver/grey surround as opposed to black (nexnix only have black at £2500) ho hum, will have a think, thanks again and best of luck getting yours sorted.

6. Gizmo®

Gizmo®

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren Blake

Is there any news about the voltage modification from Hitachi??

:clap:

7. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    How do you tell what models have what fans?