Hitachi 42PD9700 or Panasonic 42PX600

Sprads

Standard Member
Ok going mad really can not decide which plasma to go for both are good sets would love the Hitachi but from what I have read a few people seem to be suffering with contrast not sure if this is a fault or a feature, so need some advice please, friends got a Panasonic and it really looks good but its the PX60 and sorry but dont like the speaker set-up just dont look right.:lease:
 

camorra

Novice Member
I suggest you find both screens' respective threads and take it from there to get your answers :lesson:

Don't bother asking questions but finally let your eyes judge it all up and make sure you visit your nearby stores testing both sets with various inputs :thumbsup: if possible get the salesman to lend you the remote and fiddle around with the settings yourself :eek: Just don't be afraid :clap:

Finally, let your eyes decide for you :smashin:

Cheers :hiya:
 
W

Waga Waga

Guest
I was in the same boat, and eventually bought the Hitachi 42PD9700

My Reasons

1. I'm a sucker for asthetics and think the PX60 looks cheap, tacky and plasticky (even my wife thought so, and she's not into tellys). Hitachi looks modern and sophisticated, to my eyes anyway.

2. Price has dropped alot for the Hitachi, now about £1515 from www.electrosaver.co.uk. 42px60 about £1342 today from Digital Direct.

3. Hitachi are offering a free 4 year warranty with certain retailers, so its kind of worry free for 4 years, (although i got mine on a pricematch with John Lewis so its 5 years)

4. Hitachi has a better resolution, can take 1080i natively (1024x1080 vs 1024x720), and so far, picture quality from my set has been amazing. Watched DVD's upscaled to 1080i and just spent my time admiring the pictures, ignoring the dialogue.

I'm not saying that the panasonic doesn't have good pictures as well, it has very good picture quality.

5. People say panasonic has better blacks but can suffer with green tinge and some screen burn.

all i can say is that the Hitachi Blacks look alright to me, but i'm not as fussy as some i guess.

6. Bonus, Hitachi has a motorised stand, so can swivel around using remote control. Handy for me so can watch from dinning table or living room.

7. Has better sound than the PX60 (although Panasonic do make the PX600 which is same panel but with better speakers, but mor expensive than PX60).

8. Just one other thing i noticed from looking at shops, most shops seem to hook up the PX60 with an upscaler(Usually sitting underneath the telly, so has amazing pictures (e.g John Lewis and Currys), where has hitachi and most of the other tellys seen to be on a normal feed so doesn't look as good.



I think overall, i'm happy with the picture quality of the Hitachi, its working brilliantly, looks cool in my living room, and it has a long warranty, so i'm happy with my choice. No regrets. "Motorised stand is a Bonus"

Think if i bought the panasonic, i would have been happy with the picture quality, happy with the price, its a bit cheaper than Hitachi, but not my much now price has come down.

Would have been worried about a 1 year warranty (Unless bought via price match with John Lewis = 5 years), but think i would have been dissappointed with the way it looks (Especially with the plastic Stand). Want people to come in and say, "Wow!!" Dont think the panasonic looks special enough. Bit vain, but thats my opinion anyway. And sound wouldn't have been as good.

Hope it helps, but i think both tellys would be good. Just about living life being content with your choices and ENJOYING the telly and not getting nit picky with things (unless its an obvious fault).

What ever telly you get, ENJOY!!! :clap:
 

Neo319

Member
Waga Waga said:
I was in the same boat, and eventually bought the Hitachi 42PD9700

My Reasons

1. I'm a sucker for asthetics and think the PX60 looks cheap, tacky and plasticky (even my wife thought so, and she's not into tellys). Hitachi looks modern and sophisticated, to my eyes anyway.

2. Price has dropped alot for the Hitachi, now about £1515 from www.electrosaver.co.uk. 42px60 about £1342 today from Digital Direct.

3. Hitachi are offering a free 4 year warranty with certain retailers, so its kind of worry free for 4 years, (although i got mine on a pricematch with John Lewis so its 5 years)

4. Hitachi has a better resolution, can take 1080i natively (1024x1080 vs 1024x720), and so far, picture quality from my set has been amazing. Watched DVD's upscaled to 1080i and just spent my time admiring the pictures, ignoring the dialogue.

I'm not saying that the panasonic doesn't have good pictures as well, it has very good picture quality.

5. People say panasonic has better blacks but can suffer with green tinge and some screen burn.

all i can say is that the Hitachi Blacks look alright to me, but i'm not as fussy as some i guess.

6. Bonus, Hitachi has a motorised stand, so can swivel around using remote control. Handy for me so can watch from dinning table or living room.

7. Has better sound than the PX60 (although Panasonic do make the PX600 which is same panel but with better speakers, but mor expensive than PX60).

8. Just one other thing i noticed from looking at shops, most shops seem to hook up the PX60 with an upscaler(Usually sitting underneath the telly, so has amazing pictures (e.g John Lewis and Currys), where has hitachi and most of the other tellys seen to be on a normal feed so doesn't look as good.



I think overall, i'm happy with the picture quality of the Hitachi, its working brilliantly, looks cool in my living room, and it has a long warranty, so i'm happy with my choice. No regrets. "Motorised stand is a Bonus"

Think if i bought the panasonic, i would have been happy with the picture quality, happy with the price, its a bit cheaper than Hitachi, but not my much now price has come down.

Would have been worried about a 1 year warranty (Unless bought via price match with John Lewis = 5 years), but think i would have been dissappointed with the way it looks (Especially with the plastic Stand). Want people to come in and say, "Wow!!" Dont think the panasonic looks special enough. Bit vain, but thats my opinion anyway. And sound wouldn't have been as good.

Hope it helps, but i think both tellys would be good. Just about living life being content with your choices and ENJOYING the telly and not getting nit picky with things (unless its an obvious fault).

What ever telly you get, ENJOY!!! :clap:
Hey man, thanks for that. :smashin:

I'm just wondering, have you compared a good DVD player over RGB and your upscaling one? Is it a big difference? Because I thought the 9700 already has great scaling technology in itself..?
 

Brother

Novice Member
Why not get a 42PX600 Panasonic from JL - get a price match and you will have it delivered for £1712. Thats almost £800 off the JL list price, with a free 5 year guarantee that other retailers charge about £400 for.

If you don't like it they will send a courier to pick it up free of charge within 28 days if you don't like it and give you a full refund (minus £30 original delivery which is included in that £1712 figure).

This way you get a screen that meets your concerns about the 60 model at no risk to yourself - live with it a month and see what you think. By that time the Hitachi price might have dropped anyway.
 
W

Waga Waga

Guest
Havent tried it with a normal DVD Player over RGB

Although i did try with the different settings between 480, 720p and 1080i over HDMI and even on the standard 480 it was very good, as you said, TV can do its own scaling, and seemed to do a good job.

think someone mentioned earlier in the 42PD9700 forum that if you have a cheap unscaling DVD player (Which I have) better to leave the TV to do it, but if you have an expensive one, then use the DVD player.

You might want to ask what dvd play back is like via RGB in the 42PD9700 owners forum.
 
W

Waga Waga

Guest
Just remembered, have heard of some people taking their DVD players into shops, hooking it up and testing the TV's with their equipment, so might want to try that before you buy, then can see what its like with your own eyes.

Think everyone has a different idea of what is good / bad picture quality, and it'd be better to test it with your own equipment, then you can see what you will actually see.

:thumbsup:
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
Waga Waga said:
4. Hitachi has a better resolution, can take 1080i natively (1024x1080 vs 1024x720), and so far, picture quality from my set has been amazing. Watched DVD's upscaled to 1080i and just spent my time admiring the pictures, ignoring the dialogue.



8. Just one other thing i noticed from looking at shops, most shops seem to hook up the PX60 with an upscaler(Usually sitting underneath the telly, so has amazing pictures (e.g John Lewis and Currys), where has hitachi and most of the other tellys seen to be on a normal feed so doesn't look as good.
4. Its not that clear cut matey Hitachi is ALIS (only half the pixels are "lit" at any one time.so its more like having 1024x540x2, panasonic is 1024x768 with all pixels lit

And I have never even seen an "upscaler" in currys (do you mean a HD feed?) if so you just ask them to connect it to your Hitachi, and there is a good reason it doesnt look as good.....

Waga Waga said:
Think everyone has a different idea of what is good / bad picture quality, and it'd be better to test it with your own equipment, then you can see what you will actually see.

:thumbsup:
This again is rubbish mate, a good picture is one that is an accurate representation of the original live image personal preference doesnt come into it its the most accuarte one and unless you know how accurate yoru display is you have no idea what your seeing and if its any good or not
 

Neo319

Member
Waga Waga said:
Just remembered, have heard of some people taking their DVD players into shops, hooking it up and testing the TV's with their equipment, so might want to try that before you buy, then can see what its like with your own eyes.

Think everyone has a different idea of what is good / bad picture quality, and it'd be better to test it with your own equipment, then you can see what you will actually see.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for that. I have bothered 7200/9700 owners extensively with my SD pq questions as I'm going to get one this saturday. ;)

I would say I have an expensive DVD-player without scaling so I would imagine the difference with a new expensive upscaling DVD-player wouldn't be big enough to for the extra money. But I could be wrong ofcourse.
Maybe the store can show me the difference.
 

Woziak

Novice Member
hornydragon said:
4. Its not that clear cut matey Hitachi is ALIS (only half the pixels are "lit" at any one time.so its more like having 1024x540x2, panasonic is 1024x768 with all pixels lit...
Actually it is that clear cut. The Hitachi Alis H6 displays 1080 lines of each frame at once. The Panasonic 768 lines of each frame.

@Neo319: Don't bother with buying another DVD-player. The 7200/9700 are pretty good at upscaling.
 

Vinny74

Novice Member
Waga Waga said:
think someone mentioned earlier in the 42PD9700 forum that if you have a cheap unscaling DVD player (Which I have) better to leave the TV to do it, but if you have an expensive one, then use the DVD player.
Personally I disagree - Tried my old Harman Kardon 506 with my 42PD9700 via component and the picture was very good.
Bought myself an Oppo971 against the recommendation of several people since they said that the TV would do a better job of upscaling than the Oppo.
Once this player was set up correctly using the Digital Video Essentials DVD the picture was in a different league.
Even my wife commented on the quality, and she WAS NOT in favour of either purchase.

But at the end of the day it's just personal preference.
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
Vinny74 said:
But at the end of the day it's just personal preference.
But the point is it has nothing to do with personal preference...........an image is a representation of something real so its how close it looks to real life thats important not "that you think an overly red picture is better" for example
 

Vinny74

Novice Member
hornydragon said:
But the point is it has nothing to do with personal preference...........an image is a representation of something real so its how close it looks to real life thats important not "that you think an overly red picture is better" for example
Yes but some people prefer a high contrast setting, and may decide that they find less colour to be more appealling, and (as has been reported on this forum) may also prefer a higher than average sharpness.
Those settings may appear better to them
 

Sprads

Standard Member
Hmmm so what I got is the Panasonic owners loving there sets and the Hitachi owners loving there sets so that says both sets are good so taste is going to decide, my current equipment is a Yamaha S557 DVD Player, Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD Player, Yamaha RX-V350 Amp and an NTL box. Use the 557 as me main DVD Player so that would be a Composite connection and the others RGB, :confused: still not sure PX600 Or 9700 4 year warranty on the Hitachi looking good Hmmmm:rolleyes:
 

Neo319

Member
Sprads said:
Hmmm so what I got is the Panasonic owners loving there sets and the Hitachi owners loving there sets so that says both sets are good so taste is going to decide, my current equipment is a Yamaha S557 DVD Player, Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD Player, Yamaha RX-V350 Amp and an NTL box. Use the 557 as me main DVD Player so that would be a Composite connection and the others RGB, :confused: still not sure PX600 Or 9700 4 year warranty on the Hitachi looking good Hmmmm:rolleyes:
I don't understand why anyone would pay so much more money to get the same picturequality as the PX60. :confused:

I'm going for either the 9700 or the 7200 depending on the PQ difference. But everybody's got their own preferences I guess. :) Who knows, I might still even go for the PX60, but at this time (haven't seen the PX60 in person) the 9700 has my preference.
 

Sprads

Standard Member
Neo319 said:
I don't understand why anyone would pay so much more money to get the same picturequality as the PX60. :confused:

I'm going for either the 9700 or the 7200 depending on the PQ difference. But everybody's got their own preferences I guess. :) Who knows, I might still even go for the PX60, but at this time (haven't seen the PX60 in person) the 9700 has my preference.
As I have said mates got the PX60 mounted on the wall and picture is really good from his DVD Player with Composite Connection Shrek 2 looked Amazing, but I dont like the speaker set-up at the bottom PX600 has the same screen but has better speakers and is more on par with the 9700, and yes they are alot more Hitachi is about £1489.99 + £30 Delivery and the Panasonic is £1696.99 + £30 Delivery so say £200 difference that could got towards leads and 4 years on the Hitachi sounds like I am talking myself into the 9700.:rolleyes:
 

Neo319

Member
Sprads said:
As I have said mates got the PX60 mounted on the wall and picture is really good from his DVD Player with Composite Connection Shrek 2 looked Amazing, but I dont like the speaker set-up at the bottom PX600 has the same screen but has better speakers and is more on par with the 9700, and yes they are alot more Hitachi is about £1489.99 + £30 Delivery and the Panasonic is £1696.99 + £30 Delivery so say £200 difference that could got towards leads and 4 years on the Hitachi sounds like I am talking myself into the 9700.:rolleyes:
:rotfl:

I'm not going to use those better speakers (there are 10 on the 9700 mind you!;)) because of my surround system, so that's not a consideration for me either between a 60 and a 600. And who uses PIP/PAP for real?! :lesson:
 

cboy

Banned
just to let u know about the pip u cannot *or i cant* use pip for dvb/component it will only go av1/2/3/dvb or sumit like that
 

Sprads

Standard Member
cboy said:
just to let u know about the pip u cannot *or i cant* use pip for dvb/component it will only go av1/2/3/dvb or sumit like that
So what made you decide on the PX600, and are you pleased with what you have also to point another question I will be using either Xbox 360 or PS3 at some stage and still deciding on them but will leave that for another colum be more confused than I am already.:confused: So fast moving graphics will be used from one of the named consoles at some stage.:rolleyes:
 

astonbilla

Active Member
People say panasonic has better blacks but can suffer with green tinge and some screen burn.

all i can say is that the Hitachi Blacks look alright to me, but i'm not as fussy as some i guess.
This is complete tosh - the panny seems to handles retention as well as, if not better than most other plasmas.

Also, green tinge only really seems to be an issue for those who do not have a panny - its nothing to worry about and it really does not detract from normal viewing at all.

also - do a search in the 9700 owners forum for the general feeling on the sets "black" level.
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

Has Amazon Prime Video dropped Dolby Atmos?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh and Sonus faber unite under Fine Sounds Distribution in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 2nd August 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom