1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD7200 - What DVD player are you using?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by clarky78, Aug 27, 2005.

1. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    OK i want a dvd player to keep me going till HD dvd comes in, so a while. I have a perfectly good aiwa that works through RGB scart, however i wanted to use component through my amp which this can't do. So i bought a Pioneer 585a and it was absolutely aweful, so took it straight back. Was advised maybe to go second hand, and was recommended a Harman Kardan DVD 25, found one of those on ebay cheap enough so got that. This is bad too, Suffers green tints to faces and around dark scenes, i know it's not the screen because it doesn't happen througb RGB scart on my Aiwa. It also suffers from being very grainy even my grilfriend noticed how spotty the picture looks. Maybe its my leads?? Also for some reason wouldn't work through my amp either.

So im looking again, what are people out there using that they're happy with, i don't want to spend the earth, just want a decent no thrills player. I thought about getting hold of an older 575a from RS for £100 but surely the new version can't be worse?

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    nobody?

3. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that it would be well worthwhile to get a Pioneer 575. A lot of people on this forum are very happy with this machine. I think that the main differenence with the new model is that the 585 was set up to provide an HDMI connection - which may well have been to the detriment of the component output. If you get the 575 from Richer Sounds and are unhappy, you could try the Toshiba SD240 at£59. I run an older model Toshiba on my TV and it produces excellent pictures (allbeit via Scart).
    At a slightly higher price range, you could consider the Sony 955 which has a lot of happy followers.
    I recently acquired a Denon 2200 - which was one of the last ones in the shops and it gives some excellent pictures via component. If the Pioneer /
    Toshiba options are not satisfactory, try finding one of these machines secondhand or perhaps even a Denon 2900.
    All these suggestions are only any good, if you want to use component as an interim solution whilst waiting for one of the new HD players (whichever format will win the day!)

4. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The toshiba is very cheap, i would be suprised that it could be any good! I may consider trying the 575, as richers will take it back, though i have seen it for £69 at hyperfi, though returning that would be a problem.
    I like the denon's they go for high prices even second hand it seems, maybe i should try and get one of those.
    Does anyone think cables could cause the problems?

5. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Wait for the new Denon 1920 with Faroudja 1080 upscaling and HDMI output.

Cheers :D

6. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    Im currently using a samsung 850 dvd player connected via a supra hdmi lead ,it gives a very clean and detailed pic .

But i took my pc downstairs the other day and played a dvd through that and was pleasantly suprised ,so for me im ditching the the standalone dvd player route and building myself a htpc . :)

7. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Cambridge Audio Azur 540D. Cant fault it - great picture, great sounds. I have it connected using component cables. I'm saving the digital connections on the Plasma for HD content.

8. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Are the component cables from Cambridge audio too? As mine are so wasn't sure if they might be causing the issue.