Hitachi 42PD7200 what do you think?

Azz thanks for the reply.

Did any of you guys find a problem with the PQ? That's probably my onmly big concern given that all the reviews mentioned that u DEFINATELY need a good digital source cuz analog gives a crap PQ.

How did you solve this issue? I won't be using a Sky box -- should I use a good digibox?

sorry for all the questions, as you probably guessed I'm a novice lol

Bleeders, Richer Sounds wont let you pay over the phone.

If you are going in tonight to buy it as well make sure you take photographic ID and also a letter with your address on it. They need that i youare paying by credit or debit card. Thats why they wont take payment over the phone.

They did however reasure me that the plasma was there next to them, it had my name on it, and it was definitely being held for me :clap:

Chimp magnet

I have sky and freeview and both are excellent.

Dont bother with analogue

My only gripe was i was expecting a better pic via HDMI but it could be my tosh 330e is too good but how to prove it.

If i had known tosh 350e was out i would not even have given the sammi 850 a second look

Azz

syntax error said:
So bleeders, did you get it?

I have mine here all set up :clap:

Good stuff ma' man.

Off down to RS this morning to pick it up.

Ta' for the heads up on the info they need though, never got told that.

Bleeders said:
Good stuff ma' man.

Off down to RS this morning to pick it up.

Ta' for the heads up on the info they need though, never got told that.

Well they told me that on the phone, but then when I was buying it they never asked to see it!

But better safe than sorry.

Absolutely, now I've got to spend the best part of the day re-arranging everything to accomodate it! ;)

How you getting on with yours mate?

Bleeders said:
Absolutely, now I've got to spend the best part of the day re-arranging everything to accomodate it! ;)

How you getting on with yours mate?

Pretty sweet!

I only have my x box's connected to it at the minute, still awaiting on my high def cables arriving.

One thing I notice is that my modded x box looks muich better than the other, its set to NTSC. Im guessing that is why?

Gonna get the DVD from the lounge hooked up with component this afternoon, that will be the acid test.

But yeah, I cant stop looking at it!

Let me know what settings you go for, I have juist copied a guy from on here fore the minute, but might have a fiddle with that too.

Good luck bud! :smashin:

Just got back from RS with mine mate!!

Heavy ain't it.

Will be hooking it up later once I've finished the move around, looks lovely though.

Bleeders said:
Just got back from RS with mine mate!!

Heavy ain't it.

Will be hooking it up later once I've finished the move around, looks lovely though.

Its a bloody tonne!

I had to get a taxi back from Richer Sounds, needless to say the taxi driver was none to impressed when I asked his assistance in getting it up the stairs! Ha Ha!

I was sweating buckets by the time I managed to move it into my room, on my own!

Anyway, here is a pic of mine all set up now. I bought a DVD player from RS as well so I could see prog scan on it. It looks nice, but maybe not as good as I expected, but looking on here I see its a bit of a crap DVD player, cambridge audio DVD59, which RS own :rolleyes:

Here is, look forward to seeing yours when you have it all hooked up.

PICT0024.jpg

Currently, my Denon 500SD is sitting in a Parcel Force depot somewhere, so won't be complete till next week, but I'll be taking pics when I've got the TV up and running.

Bleeders said:
Currently, my Denon 500SD is sitting in a Parcel Force depot somewhere, so won't be complete till next week, but I'll be taking pics when I've got the TV up and running.

Just went and got a Toshiba SD - 530E to replace the Cambridge Audio DVD player I got from RS. The picture is 100% better!!! The panel is really showing its worth now, crystal clear pic :clap:

Hurry and get those pics up bleeders!

Let me know your settings too, Im using these, stolen from another post on here

Contrast +31
brightness 0
colour 0
sharpness 0
Hue 0
Colour temp normal
comtrast mode Auto
YNR off
CNR Low
Film mode off
LTI low
CTI low
Black enhancement low

I warn you, it will look **** when you switch it on at first, I almost hot footed it back to RS! But switching dynamic off will improve it ten fold straight away.

Anyone know how to get the 7200's remote control to operate a Sky+ box. Also what is the TV code so the TV can be operated with the Sky+ remote. I tried the "blink back" and i think the code was 065 but it doesnt work.

when setting up the tv i found that you should plug your sky box into AV 2 or 3 not 1 as 1 does not have RGB SCART support only composite SCART. Using AV2 and setting the Sky SCART output to RGB out gave the biggest picture improvent.

whats the point of the stobe freeze feature, looks funky but the point is????

mattr555 said:
when setting up the tv i found that you should plug your sky box into AV 2 or 3 not 1 as 1 does not have RGB SCART support only composite SCART. Using AV2 and setting the Sky SCART output to RGB out gave the biggest picture improvent.

Oh my God, you have just made me so happy!! I did not realise that they were not all RGB! I had all my inputs going in there via my switcher!

Happy days, my pic has just went up another 5 notches again! WOOT!!!

All my secret fears have been put to rest, it all looks the business now!!! :clap:

its is kinda confusing. at the front of the manual im sure it says something about use AV1 for set top boxes then at the end of the manual it describes the video formats each socket support and that is where it says AV1 is SCART composite only. these TVs are too bloody complicated.

think i got the right tv code for the sky remote now. its either 0145 or 0253. cant remember which but can control volume from the sky remote now.

Weird thing to note. if you press the TV button on the Sky remote, the TV switches to Composite SCART, push the Sky button and it switches back to Componant SCART. Easy way to see a huge picture difference.

Bleeders said:
So would I be better sticking the SCART into port 2 then to get best results?

Oh yeah, absolutely mate, its MUCH better! I was getting quite a lot of boise round about white writing before, now its much better :D

mattr555 said:
its is kinda confusing. at the front of the manual im sure it says something about use AV1 for set top boxes then at the end of the manual it describes the video formats each socket support and that is where it says AV1 is SCART composite only. these TVs are too bloody complicated.

think i got the right tv code for the sky remote now. its either 0145 or 0253. cant remember which but can control volume from the sky remote now.

Weird thing to note. if you press the TV button on the Sky remote, the TV switches to Composite SCART, push the Sky button and it switches back to Componant SCART. Easy way to see a huge picture difference.

Matt, can you post your picture settings when you get it set up to a level you like, Im interested to try quite a few settings to find something that suits me, thanks.

Newb question I know, but is it common to have some noise when sitting about a foot away from the screen?

A bit peeved off as well, bought a Thor RGB Scart cable and I can't get the poxy thing to fit. >_<

Bleeders said:
Newb question I know, but is it common to have some noise when sitting about a foot away from the screen?

What input are you using?

Using progressive scan DVD I am finding it crystsal clear from that distance.

Make sure your scart says RBG in the top right of the screen too if its scart.

Also fiddle with the settings. Try using the ones I posted, they seem to work quite nicely.

weird your scart wont fit, they are universal, you are probably just not lining it up correctly I would guess.

DVD is fine for me too! Awesome picture.

Consoles are fine, it's Sky+, some channels are better than others.

These 'kin speakers tho! >_<

Bleeders said:
DVD is fine for me too! Awesome picture.

Consoles are fine, it's Sky+, some channels are better than others.

These 'kin speakers tho! >_<

Yeah, the DVD is freakin awesome, I am stunned with it. It looks so good I can hardly concentrate on thw actual films, Im too busy looking at the colours! :clap:

I dont have it hooked to Sky, I flatshare and have this in my room, the Sky is in the living room. Prob wont have it hooked to sky until they start broadcasting in HDTV. Is it quite bad? Really grainy?

Whats up with the speakers? I dont hav them fitted either, space issues.

Do you have consoles hooked to yours? X box looks so nice. I cant wait to see what it will be like through prog scan!

Got any pics yet? :cool:

I had the 42pd7200 delivered two weeks ago, but because of work I've only just set it up. I've never had a plasma before - to me the PQ straight out of the box is BRILLIANT!!!!!

I haven't had time to fiddle with the settings yet. I note the settings Syntax Error is using (Cheers mate), but what about other 42pd7200 users? :cool:

I've connected my DVD recorder with component and RCA phono, my DVD player (without prog scan) with scart (AV3), Digibox (not +) via scart (AV2), and VCR via scart (AV1). The DVD PQ and most Sky channels' PQ are out of this world. :clap:

My only quibble is the tv is over 100cm long (without speakers), yet the majority of connections input/output are in the middle 25cm, why have the connections so tightly packed - design flaw? It make inserting the cables EXTREMELY difficult. :mad:

hvaghela said:
I had the 42pd7200 delivered two weeks ago, but because of work I've only just set it up. I've never had a plasma before - to me the PQ straight out of the box is BRILLIANT!!!!!

I haven't had time to fiddle with the settings yet. I note the settings Syntax Error is using (Cheers mate), but what about other 42pd7200 users? :cool:

I've connected my DVD recorder with component and RCA phono, my DVD player (without prog scan) with scart (AV3), Digibox (not +) via scart (AV2), and VCR via scart (AV1). The DVD PQ and most Sky channels' PQ are out of this world. :clap:

My only quibble is the tv is over 100cm long (without speakers), yet the majority of connections input/output are in the middle 25cm, why have the connections so tightly packed - design flaw? It make inserting the cables EXTREMELY difficult. :mad:

One thing I would now say about those pic settings I posted is that if your panel is quite new then lower the contrast levels as I noted it eas causing a bit of burn in! I paniced at first, but it has all faded again, so I am now down to contrast +2 until it has all bedded in.

I might of been a tad unfair on the PQ out the box, it was probably down to a mixture of me having my scarts running through component at first accidentlly. But now I have my prog scan DVD set up and everything running through RBG it looks incredibly sweet.

So anyone who initially is not impressed with this panel, stick with it, make sure everything is set up right, and connected properly, cause the pq is definitely there :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom