Hitachi 42PD7200 what do you think?

pmonger,,,were are the photos :) are you still happy with it ???

danluton,,,does the 7200 have a picture in picture function ??????

Almost purchased the sagem hd 45 rear pro tv,then saw the hitachi 5200 witch i was about to order then "luckily" came across the 7200,will have the nessesery funds by the end of the month :thumbsup: .
David....................

Saw it in the shop, looks pretty good, only a horrible buzz coming from the top, i could hear it in the shop with my head a feet from the top. Just imagine how it sounds at your home, i've read a bit about older hitachi models having the same problem.

John Lewis have said they will not do a price match with either company. As both shops do not operate on the same level as them. I think that means they won't do a price match with an independent company.

The cheapest place i've found selling the Hitachi is Total Digital @ £1915 with £20 delivery.

But i've started reading alot that the Hitachi 42PD7200 has a poor picture when displaying night time scenes.

DanLuton and Pmonger is it very noticeable.

I've also been looking at the Pioneer PDP435XDE and the cheapest i've found that is also Total Digital @ £2579. Which is £600 more but I don't want to spend alot of money on a plasma screen and then a month later be unhappy with what I brought.

What HIFI magazine have a review of the Pioneer tomorrow so i'll make my decision maybe after reading that.

Jl Bristol will pricematch Soundandvision, they have before for me on a RDXS32 saved me £195 no probs at all. I would try again m8, or try a diff JL and get them to deliver it to you or your local store (not sure if they do that)

Taz

David - yes it does has picture in picture - split screen for AV + AV inputs, and a small box in the lower right for PC/RGB + AV.

"only a horrible buzz coming from the top"

There is an audible buzz coming from the set, but I've only noticed this when I am very close to the set. I have a 16 month old son, so we have TV volume very low when he's in bed, and I've yet to notice it from a seated position - and normally things like this would bug the hell out of me.

"But i've started reading alot that the Hitachi 42PD7200 has a poor picture when displaying night time scenes."

Well, the contrast ratio is still 1000:1 so I was kind of expecting this really - on dark scenes the blacks could be better, put it's only a minor irritation for me. Also if you scrutinise the screen up-close on a black scene, you can see little dark green flecks of noise in the picture...althought you can't see these at all from seating distance.

I had a budget in mind for a new TV and I stuck with it, simple as that. Given the choice between the 7200 and, say, the new Panny, I'd have likely gone for the Panny if:

1) If the price gap had been smaller
2) If it had been released at the same time as the 7200

As it is you have to ask yourself if having blacker blacks is worth an extra few hundred pounds - for me it wasn't. I've been looking at PDP prices since November, I was originally targetting the 5200 but decided to wait for the 7200 anyway.

All in all, for less than 2 grand I've got something which I'm very pleased with, is future proofed for HD, and has all the inputs I need without fussing over input boards etc etc...

One other point to note is that sound from the attached/included speakers is amazing, I have a 5.1 setup (used rarely) and am very pleased with sound from the built-in speakers - very clear top-end and crisp bass.

Nice one :)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

try a diff JL and get them to deliver it to you or your local store (not sure if they do that)

From previous discussions with JL, if you order a plasma from a JL store other than your local you will have to pay £30 delivery charge. Not bad if you've saving £400 on a price match. :smashin:

Reznor said:
I've also been looking at the Pioneer PDP435XDE and the cheapest i've found that is also Total Digital @ £2579. Which is £600 more but I don't want to spend alot of money on a plasma screen and then a month later be unhappy with what I brought.

What HIFI magazine have a review of the Pioneer tomorrow so i'll make my decision maybe after reading that.

Well?
Have you read the review Reznor?
I m wondering what they ve conclude this time :confused:

BTW I love WITH TEETH.
Sunspots is stunning :smashin:
Your best album since Downward Spiral :)

Got mine yesterday from Total digital
Useing Yamada 6600 and cheap freeview box and really tacky scarts and the picture is incredible.
Going to invest in some decent cables a better dvd with divx possibly Samsung HD945 any suggestions on cables the Yamada has served its purpose and does not have component out.
By the way got it for £1945 includes delivery thats cheaper than the old model at Comet all due to threads on this site thanks for the advice

Can anyone clarify the online John Lewis pricing policy.
I've taken the quote below from their site which seems at odds with the great deal offered.

Taken from John Lewis Site:

We do not apply our shops' 'Never Knowingly Undersold' pricing promise to our online and catalogue prices. This is because we are unable to verify the availability and comparability of the goods and the standards of service and support that are offered by other Internet and catalogue competitors, but you can always be assured of the same dedication to competitive pricing and exceptional value you find in our department stores, where we remain of course 'Never Knowingly Undersold'.

Their price matching policy is quite clear. They will aim to match the advertised ticketed price of an object sold by any UK "bricks and mortar" store which is currently in stock and the price is not on special offer or limited sale price. This offer does not extend to internet only outlets.

The confusion arises because some JL stores say one thing whilst others say something completely different. The trick is to make sure you talk to the undersales team rather than a sales assistant and be persistant. Their "never knowingly undersold" policy is a national policy so they can't use the excuse of matching local stores only. You can actually get hold of a written confirmation of their pricing policy from the store itself.

Leerock said:
Well?
Have you read the review Reznor?
I m wondering what they ve conclude this time :confused:

BTW I love WITH TEETH.
Sunspots is stunning :smashin:
Your best album since Downward Spiral :)

Right i've got What HIFI and sound and vision magazine but there must be more than one What HIFi because it reviewed the Pioneer PDP-435XDE last issue.

But it does have a review of the Hitachi 42PD7200.

Rated 4 out of 5

For:
Terrific specification;fine build;good performance from both TV and DVD.

Against:
Image suffers from a little noise with both DVD and TV signals;that's it.

Verdict:
Not quite the best, but certainly still very good indeed;Hi-Def ready spec only adds to it's considerable appeal.

Now what they said about the Pioneer PDP-435XDE: The best Plasma ever 5 out 0f 5

In order to get the from it you'll need an HDMI or DVI-compatible DVD player,but when you match it with one of those then the results are pretty spectacular.

Now me :) : The pioneer is £600 - £700 more expensive so of course it is going to have a better picture even though saying that I did see the Hitachi next to the 50" Pioneer and thought the Hitachi had a better picture. I think i'm still going to go for the Hitachi either from TotalDigital or i'm going to try harder to get John Lewis match the price as I want the 5 year guarantee for free.

I'll you know if I can them to price match next week.

neilmcl said:
Their price matching policy is quite clear. They will aim to match the advertised ticketed price of an object sold by any UK "bricks and mortar" store which is currently in stock and the price is not on special offer or limited sale price. This offer does not extend to internet only outlets.

Sound and Vision online and TotalDigital both have stores. Apparently they sent someone down to both of them to check them out and JL say these stores won't quote over the phone, which is quite funny because they both quoted me the prices over the phone.

Still i'm going to try next week.

hi. sorry for my late post. work shifts so have not had time. had my hitachi 42pd7200 for 1 week now and still very happy with it. i think, for the price, it would be hard to find an equally good alternative. i have attached some photos, hopefully itll work this time! one thing i have noticed with the 42pd7200 is the very occasional click sound from the speakers. has anyone else experience that? i dont have it connected to an amp so all the audio comes from the supplied speakers. also i want to get a Samsung HD945 dvd player to use with it but they are hard to find. does anyone know a place/website that stocks them? thanks.

Attachments

• plasma1-2.jpg
    plasma1-2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 454
  • plasma2-2.jpg
    plasma2-2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 421
me yet again. sorry those posted photos came out terrible! heres some better ones. was trying to get them down to the allowed file size! enjoy!

Attachments

• plasma1-3.jpg
    plasma1-3.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 747
  • plasma2-3.jpg
    plasma2-3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 630
I am now a plasma convert. I had a Pioneer widescreen CRT projection tv for years, and would not even look at Plasma. I had to get rid of my Pioneer due to moving to a smaller house and the only options in my mind were the sagem 45" dlp projection or the Hitachi 42pd7200.

After initially thinking that plasma pictures are rubbish, i am now a convert. The progressive component picture is good, maybe a bit grainy, but doesn't suffer from too much pixelation.

Sky unfortunately is a different matter, Channel five can be very good, CSI is a good example, but the majority of other channels don't look good. (via RGB)

To get the best out of plasma, you need to feed it a superb signal. When sky release their HD sky+ box, then the the use of HDMI will hopefully mean that the picture quality will be as good as you can possibly get out of this tv.

Buy this tv now !

danluton said:
Nice one :)

I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

I'm not! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Superb image quality on DVD via component. Very happy with SKY and games console PQ, very good sound output from the detachable speakers. Whats all the fuss about Sky TV anyway? I'm very happy with the picture quality over RGB scart - its a hell of a lot better than I expected it to be having read so many negative comments on these forums.....

Reznor said:
Right i've got What HIFI and sound and vision magazine but there must be more than one What HIFi because it reviewed the Pioneer PDP-435XDE last issue.

But it does have a review of the Hitachi 42PD7200.

Rated 4 out of 5

For:
Terrific specification;fine build;good performance from both TV and DVD.

Against:
Image suffers from a little noise with both DVD and TV signals;that's it.

Verdict:
Not quite the best, but certainly still very good indeed;Hi-Def ready spec only adds to it's considerable appeal.

Now what they said about the Pioneer PDP-435XDE: The best Plasma ever 5 out 0f 5

In order to get the from it you'll need an HDMI or DVI-compatible DVD player,but when you match it with one of those then the results are pretty spectacular.

Now me :) : The pioneer is £600 - £700 more expensive so of course it is going to have a better picture even though saying that I did see the Hitachi next to the 50" Pioneer and thought the Hitachi had a better picture. I think i'm still going to go for the Hitachi either from TotalDigital or i'm going to try harder to get John Lewis match the price as I want the 5 year guarantee for free.

I'll you know if I can them to price match next week.

Given the significance of an affordable HDMI screen you would have thought it would have got more than a small space in the mag. The comments made deserved more explination. I've Stopped buying this mag as reviews are far from informative.

Yes, of course it is.

For those looking to buy one of these:

As we know, Total Digital (www.totaldigital.biz) are currently advertising the best price on this plasma at £1915 + £20 delivery. But, they are currently out of stock and aren't likely to have them back in stock for at least another week :(

However, TV & Video Direct (www.tvandvideodirect.com) agreed to pricematch them (after phoning Hitachi to see if they could themselves get a better deal). Considerng the excellent reviews that they have, I am more than happy with this outcome :clap:

Roll on tomorrow :D

Just got to hope that the Alphason AG94/2-S I ordered elsewhere also turns up tomorrow :cool:

Now off to check out prices and availability on the Samsung HD945 :rolleyes:

Wondering if anyone could give some advice, I am considering the 7200 after all the good comments I have heard, one thing that bothers me is I want to wall mount the screen and chase the cabling into the wall and fill it backup. Considering HDTV is still sometime off, should be putting all cables from the TV to my stereo stack in advance so I do not have to break the wall again ?

Is there any other option ? Anyone else tried doing the same and can share the experience ?

Had 7200 for a week never got any clicking from amp but i have not used speakers
i am using cheap Yamada dvd through even cheaper scarts and have no problem with PQ
Waiting for Samsung 950 but no stock till end of may according to dealer email recieved a couple of minutes ago guys at AVWOW seem to work late
I don.t know if this this is the way to do things but Hitachi supply manual on cd as pdf if anyone wants this to help them decide i will send by email
And if i have broken any rules Sorry in advance

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom