1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD7200 what do you think?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iZombine, Apr 29, 2005.

1. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this Plasma after reading a great review it got in What Plasma magazine.

John Lewis have also said they will do a price match on it for £2028 with a 5 year guarantee.

Has anyone here got one or does anyone here know if they are good or bad?

Thanks

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    They do seem to be getting a lot of good reviews at the moment.

I got to have a good look at one at the Smart Home show at the NEC two weeks ago. It was showing some hi-def material and was looking fantastic.

John

3. hvaghela

hvaghela
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "John Lewis have also said they will do a price match on it for £2028 with a 5 year guarantee."

Sounds great, who will JL price match with? :clap:

4. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    www.soundandvisiononline.com are selling it for £2028 but with only a 1 year guarantee.

John Lewis do a 5 year with all the TV's they sell.

It's either a choice between this Hitachi or the Pioneer DPD-435XDE ( £2639 )but I can't really see the point in paying £600 extra for something thats only an 1" bigger and has the same quality picture.

5. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it worth paying a bit more for the 42PD7500 (with Freeview) ?.

6. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not if you have SKY.

7. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if i could get confirmation tht this would handel sky hd i would probably order.does anyone know if it does 720p50hz.im also looking into panny pv500

8. pmonger

pmonger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the hitachi 42pd7200 can handle sky hd! it is fully compliant with skys hd guidelines. ive just had mine delivered today and bruvs playing outrun on the xbox on it as i type! the screen is massive and the motorised swivel base, operated via the remote, is a class idea. im running sky plus on it and cant wait for the high def broadcasts! it really is an excellent buy. ill post some photos later if you'd all like?

9. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    yes please post some photos that would be great.

10. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    got one last week, think its great,according to the manual[the sze of a small telephone book]it will "do" 1080i/50 1080i/60 720p/50 and 720p/60 as well as 480i ,576i ,480p ,576p hope this helps, also i think the pq is better than the pioneer 43xde i saw on demo in a sevenoaks viewing room !

11. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Tell us what store

12. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  13. pmonger

pmonger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    me again. heres a photo (if i've attached it right!)

14. pmonger

pmonger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    oops. obviously not! sorry, new to this forum lark! wil try again later.

15. drdmc

drdmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how did you price match with john lewis? I thought their price match didn't apply to internet quotes?

thanks

16. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They have a Retail Outlet. May be JL consider them as a normal high street shop.

17. drdmc

drdmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they do have a retail outlet but the price on the internet clearly says 'web price' - anyone know if the retail outlet sells it at the same price?
    just been to JL and tried with the rgbdirect quote - they're shut so jl will ring them to confirm price

18. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It wasn't an internet quote, I phoned the shop up and that was the price they gave me.

19. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    will not match internet prices at all !!!!

So im looking for a store that will.

20. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Who will not match an internet price?

Soundandvision have a store and i phoned them up to order the plasma and the price they gave me this price over the phone, £2028.

I've also found another store that sell's it for £1915.

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product.../1085?osCsid=8f99bbdec55f683fc0dfe8f8bf4a275a

I'm off now to see if John Lewis will do a price match on it.

21. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    good luck let us know how you get on

:thumbsup:

22. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Very pleased with mine, ordered from totaldigital.biz on Thursday afternoon, arrived Saturday - £1945 with delivery!

My pictures of the installed unit are here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1647754#post1647754

Very highly recommended for the money - SKY looks fine through it via RGB - better than I was expecting. It loses a bit of definition running through my HTPC but not so much as to be irritating.

DVD/consoles looks suberb

HD stuff is absolutely stunning, I tried mine with the Madagascar DiVX HD trailer and it truly is jaw-dropping running at 1280x720p.

Dan

23. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Very nice set up mate.

Just got back from John lewis and their sales team isn't working today so they can't phone up the other stores to verify the prices. So i'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.

24. stu_bn

stu_bn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note on the 42PD7200 image quality versus the Pioneer PDP435f/xde. We have both on the wall in our shop, fed the same image from a quali-tv euro 1080 hd receiver and dvd players via hdmi. I find the Pioneer, being a true XGA screen, rather than the ALIS panel on the Hitachi, is a lot less noisy (especially with the hd feed). I was watching the usual handball games on hd1 and there was some really strange orange dots appearing on the Hitachi screen that were not present on the Pioneer. Black or dark scenes on the Hitachi are clearly noisier, in light scenes there is little difference between the two. The added noise may be something to do with the amount of extra scaling the Hitachi has to do, as it is only 1024x512 really, and of course there is also the added flicker of the interlaced screen too.

On the whole, I'd get the Pioneer 435XDE, or the new Panasonic Viera 42PV500 hd model, now that looks seriously nice.....(I'm going for the 37 inch, it's 1024x720, no scaling necessary for 720p!!!)

25. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahem - no vertical scaling. Horizontal will still need scaling, and given the unlikeliness of the scan being dead-on, I suspect that there may have to be vertical as well (and presumably scaling from 721 to 720 will look rather ugly). Is this right?

26. david 4 fingers

david 4 fingers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    pmonger,,,were are the photos :) are you still happy with it ???

danluton,,,does the 7200 have a picture in picture function ??????

Almost purchased the sagem hd 45 rear pro tv,then saw the hitachi 5200 witch i was about to order then "luckily" came across the 7200,will have the nessesery funds by the end of the month :thumbsup: .
    David....................

27. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it in the shop, looks pretty good, only a horrible buzz coming from the top, i could hear it in the shop with my head a feet from the top. Just imagine how it sounds at your home, i've read a bit about older hitachi models having the same problem.

28. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    John Lewis have said they will not do a price match with either company. As both shops do not operate on the same level as them. I think that means they won't do a price match with an independent company.

The cheapest place i've found selling the Hitachi is Total Digital @ £1915 with £20 delivery.

But i've started reading alot that the Hitachi 42PD7200 has a poor picture when displaying night time scenes.

DanLuton and Pmonger is it very noticeable.

I've also been looking at the Pioneer PDP435XDE and the cheapest i've found that is also Total Digital @ £2579. Which is £600 more but I don't want to spend alot of money on a plasma screen and then a month later be unhappy with what I brought.

What HIFI magazine have a review of the Pioneer tomorrow so i'll make my decision maybe after reading that.

29. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Jl Bristol will pricematch Soundandvision, they have before for me on a RDXS32 saved me £195 no probs at all. I would try again m8, or try a diff JL and get them to deliver it to you or your local store (not sure if they do that)

Taz

30. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    David - yes it does has picture in picture - split screen for AV + AV inputs, and a small box in the lower right for PC/RGB + AV.

"only a horrible buzz coming from the top"

There is an audible buzz coming from the set, but I've only noticed this when I am very close to the set. I have a 16 month old son, so we have TV volume very low when he's in bed, and I've yet to notice it from a seated position - and normally things like this would bug the hell out of me.

"But i've started reading alot that the Hitachi 42PD7200 has a poor picture when displaying night time scenes."

Well, the contrast ratio is still 1000:1 so I was kind of expecting this really - on dark scenes the blacks could be better, put it's only a minor irritation for me. Also if you scrutinise the screen up-close on a black scene, you can see little dark green flecks of noise in the picture...althought you can't see these at all from seating distance.

I had a budget in mind for a new TV and I stuck with it, simple as that. Given the choice between the 7200 and, say, the new Panny, I'd have likely gone for the Panny if:

1) If the price gap had been smaller
    2) If it had been released at the same time as the 7200

As it is you have to ask yourself if having blacker blacks is worth an extra few hundred pounds - for me it wasn't. I've been looking at PDP prices since November, I was originally targetting the 5200 but decided to wait for the 7200 anyway.

All in all, for less than 2 grand I've got something which I'm very pleased with, is future proofed for HD, and has all the inputs I need without fussing over input boards etc etc...

One other point to note is that sound from the attached/included speakers is amazing, I have a 5.1 setup (used rarely) and am very pleased with sound from the built-in speakers - very clear top-end and crisp bass.