Hitachi 42PD7200 what do you think?

Sammity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this Plasma after reading a great review it got in What Plasma magazine.

John Lewis have also said they will do a price match on it for £2028 with a 5 year guarantee.

Has anyone here got one or does anyone here know if they are good or bad?

Thanks

They do seem to be getting a lot of good reviews at the moment.

I got to have a good look at one at the Smart Home show at the NEC two weeks ago. It was showing some hi-def material and was looking fantastic.

John

"John Lewis have also said they will do a price match on it for £2028 with a 5 year guarantee."

Sounds great, who will JL price match with? :clap:

www.soundandvisiononline.com are selling it for £2028 but with only a 1 year guarantee.

John Lewis do a 5 year with all the TV's they sell.

It's either a choice between this Hitachi or the Pioneer DPD-435XDE ( £2639 )but I can't really see the point in paying £600 extra for something thats only an 1" bigger and has the same quality picture.

Not if you have SKY.

if i could get confirmation tht this would handel sky hd i would probably order.does anyone know if it does 720p50hz.im also looking into panny pv500

the hitachi 42pd7200 can handle sky hd! it is fully compliant with skys hd guidelines. ive just had mine delivered today and bruvs playing outrun on the xbox on it as i type! the screen is massive and the motorised swivel base, operated via the remote, is a class idea. im running sky plus on it and cant wait for the high def broadcasts! it really is an excellent buy. ill post some photos later if you'd all like?

yes please post some photos that would be great.

got one last week, think its great,according to the manual[the sze of a small telephone book]it will "do" 1080i/50 1080i/60 720p/50 and 720p/60 as well as 480i ,576i ,480p ,576p hope this helps, also i think the pq is better than the pioneer 43xde i saw on demo in a sevenoaks viewing room !

hvaghela said:
"John Lewis have also said they will do a price match on it for £2028 with a 5 year guarantee."

Sounds great, who will JL price match with? :clap:

Tell us what store

oops. obviously not! sorry, new to this forum lark! wil try again later.

how did you price match with john lewis? I thought their price match didn't apply to internet quotes?

thanks

they do have a retail outlet but the price on the internet clearly says 'web price' - anyone know if the retail outlet sells it at the same price?
just been to JL and tried with the rgbdirect quote - they're shut so jl will ring them to confirm price

It wasn't an internet quote, I phoned the shop up and that was the price they gave me.

Reznor said:
It wasn't an internet quote, I phoned the shop up and that was the price they gave me.
will not match internet prices at all !!!!

So im looking for a store that will.

good luck let us know how you get on

:thumbsup:

Very pleased with mine, ordered from totaldigital.biz on Thursday afternoon, arrived Saturday - £1945 with delivery!

My pictures of the installed unit are here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1647754#post1647754

Very highly recommended for the money - SKY looks fine through it via RGB - better than I was expecting. It loses a bit of definition running through my HTPC but not so much as to be irritating.

DVD/consoles looks suberb

HD stuff is absolutely stunning, I tried mine with the Madagascar DiVX HD trailer and it truly is jaw-dropping running at 1280x720p.

Dan

Very nice set up mate.

Just got back from John lewis and their sales team isn't working today so they can't phone up the other stores to verify the prices. So i'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Just a quick note on the 42PD7200 image quality versus the Pioneer PDP435f/xde. We have both on the wall in our shop, fed the same image from a quali-tv euro 1080 hd receiver and dvd players via hdmi. I find the Pioneer, being a true XGA screen, rather than the ALIS panel on the Hitachi, is a lot less noisy (especially with the hd feed). I was watching the usual handball games on hd1 and there was some really strange orange dots appearing on the Hitachi screen that were not present on the Pioneer. Black or dark scenes on the Hitachi are clearly noisier, in light scenes there is little difference between the two. The added noise may be something to do with the amount of extra scaling the Hitachi has to do, as it is only 1024x512 really, and of course there is also the added flicker of the interlaced screen too.

On the whole, I'd get the Pioneer 435XDE, or the new Panasonic Viera 42PV500 hd model, now that looks seriously nice.....(I'm going for the 37 inch, it's 1024x720, no scaling necessary for 720p!!!)

stu_bn said:
On the whole, I'd get the Pioneer 435XDE, or the new Panasonic Viera 42PV500 hd model, now that looks seriously nice.....(I'm going for the 37 inch, it's 1024x720, no scaling necessary for 720p!!!)
Ahem - no vertical scaling. Horizontal will still need scaling, and given the unlikeliness of the scan being dead-on, I suspect that there may have to be vertical as well (and presumably scaling from 721 to 720 will look rather ugly). Is this right?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom