1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD7200 Vs Panny 42PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chimpmagnet, May 27, 2005.

1. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys. I've been racking my head over which plasma to get... and mainly it's down to the 42pd7200 or the 42pv500. Can any of you here shed any light on which is the better overall model.

Got about £2000 - £2300 to spend.

I can't say that I'm impressed by the Hitachi's 1000:1 contrast ratio, and then I read something about it's HD not being great due to the alis screen or something (please excuse my lack of knowledge!). What would I need to do to get a good picture out of it?

The panny is about £300 more expensive but it looks like it could be a great plasma. There's not a lot of user info about this one yet though.

I'd really appreciate your views and experience on this.

Also is this a good time to buy one of these. I've seen loadsa posts around here that say "prices will fall" or "wait for a few months" etc etc ... is there any substance to that or are people just waiting so that the new models become old and hence cheap?!?!

The new Samsung PS42S5H could be worth waiting for .... ?

Thanks in advance folks! :hiya:

2. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh I should have mentioned that I might be getting a price match at John Lewis for both. The 42PD7200 will come in at £2000 and the 42PV500 at £2280.

If I get this confirmed I'll definately let you guys know where to match it from.

My knowledge on plasmas isn't great so your expertise is rally appreciated in helping me make the decision.

Thanks

Chimp

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Blacks on the Panny are definately better than on the Hitachi. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about the fact that the Hitachi has an ALIS screen particularly if you are not going to be using a PC with it.

Hi Def picture quality on the Hitachi is excellent as it is on the Panny.

So Panny costs more but has better blacks so, if you can, get a look at them both and decide...

John

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    If JL do match PV500 with their 5 year guarantee for £2280 then :smashin: and tell us all asap.

Is that including pedestal stand by the way.

5. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah that should include the pedestal stand as it's the PV5000B. Must admit I'm tempted to go for the PV500 as for £280 more it will have the digi tuner built in and a better contrast ratio.

6. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh and delivery would be around June 9th, so not THAT long to wait!!

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    Make sure you get the DMR-ES10 with it, and maybe ask how much to upgraded the DVD to ES50

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't prefer a plasma based on specs - Panasonic's 3000:1 contrast ratio is pie in the sky.

The Hitachi produces a VERY slightly lighter shade than the Panasonic's black level - but most ppl would need a side-by-side to check this. The Hitachi isn't like a Pioneer XDE in this respect. And when it comes to dark scenes, I have seen no better than the 42PD7200 - just tested it out at my friend's, and things that are invisible, and i mean literally invisible, on Panasonic's leap out of the dark void on the Hitachi. The Hitachi has a much brigher picture too.

There may be many reasons to prefer the PV500, but 'contrast' isn't one of them IMHO.

9. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently purchased the 42PD7200. Quite frankly, no regrets. Picture and sound are both superb.

Are you sure the price of the Panasonic is £2280. I'm sure that beautiful stand is extra. I checked out the Panasonic and Pioneer before purchasing the Hitachi.

By the way, the Panasonic DVD-S97 dvd player works a treat with the Hitachi.

Good luck with your purchase.

10. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the Toshiba SD 530E today from Richer Sounds at £120. Must say I am very impressed, lovely pic. I have the 14 day returns thing though. you may not know, but as they sell your model for £170, I just wondered were the extra £50 goes? Thanks.

11. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi syntax,

Been there, done that. Originally, purchased from RS the Cambridge Audio DVD79, returned within 2 days, had serious lip-syn problems and picture was not up to standard. Got Tosh SD530E, very good but build quality not up to standard, returned 5 days later. Finally, replaced with S97, never looked back, superb picture via HDMI with extensive picture and audio menu for fine tunning to ones taste. Worth the extra £50.00.

12. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well funny enough the DVD79 is lying here beside me as well! HA Ha! YEah, I didnt like it either.

So the S97 has HDMI input then? That does make it an interesting proposition. Is it visually miuch better than prog scan then? I heard there was not a lot in it.

13. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having tried out both HDMI and component, I prefer the HDMI, but there's not a lot in it. Also, I just felt that the Panasonic looks nice and has a better build quality then the Toshiba. Further, I now have the use of both types of connections. But, only you can decide if this is this worth the extra £50.

14. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much are HDMI leads generally? Do they come in as wildly varying costs as component, and how much should I be looking to spend.

The components I have just now cost £90, so I guess if I can save on the cables then it would make the extra cost on the DVD player negligible.

15. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I personally use/prefer Van Den Hul. I have ordered the VDH HDMI cable (£44.95) and should receive Tuesday/Wednesday.

I should have pointed out earlier, my comparison of the HDMI and component is not really correct as I am using the freeby HDMI (this is all I have at the present time) that came with the player, as against VDH cables for the component. I would be very disappointed if the VDH HDMI did not show an improvement in PQ.

Cheers
    Jawed