1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD7200 versus Panny PE50?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Typical Janner, May 8, 2005.

1. Typical Janner

Typical Janner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two men in a van came and took our RPTV away today, so the need to finally commit on a new plasma has got a little more urgent (that will teach me to put the RPTV on eBay before I have got a replacement!!!).

Never mind, it's probably a good thing, as I have spent far too long going around in circles trying to decide what to get. Now I have to decide quickly, so that should help to focus the thoughts (especially if I am to avoid a divorce!).

So, has anybody been able to compare the Panny PE50 with the new Hitachi? Yes, I know the Panny is only SD, but I don't want to wait until the 500s are vailable (and in any case, as soon as they are available, no doubt everybody will be advising that it is best to wait for the next wonder plasma which is due out in just a month or so ...).

I have decided that I don't want to spend more than £2000 at this time (although the RPTV did go for more than I had hoped :clap: ), so that rules out the Pioneer. At <£2000 it looks like a choice between the Panny and the Hitachi. I have seen the Panny several times, but haven't been able to find anywhere local that stocks the Hitachi. I really don't want to buy sight unseen, but fear I might have to take the risk. Anybody seen the two side by side and care to comment?

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I saw the two side by side (well, with a Pioneer in between, but close enough for direct comparison) at John Lewis in High Wycombe.

On one occasion they were showing a split feed of Monsters Inc DVD via RGB scart, on another it was a TV signal, although I don't know how that was being sourced (split from a shared receiver, internal receiver etc).

My knee jerk reaction - and my wife's, who I had dragged along hoping to convince to go Panasonic - was that the Hitachi was the nicer image to look at. It seemed clearer, sharper & brighter and there was less artefacting (I think that's the right word). I had the misfortune to see Vanessa Feltz in close-up and when she moved her head the PE50 went very fuzzy in the process of moving her hair around (wouldn't we all! ) and took a second or so to calm down when it stopped moving but the 7200 looked better in this sort of process.

This comparison was partly improved by the salesman jiggering with some of the settings on the PE50 (basically bringing the brightness up) and the two seemed more comparable. Although even then the PE50 was not excelling itself as I might have expected.

You should be aware that I have no other experience with either of these screens and don't own a plasma (search ongoing...) and so only speak from what I saw in the shop over the course of 10 minutes or so. If I'd been spending my £2K there and then, based on PQ alone, I think the Hitachi might have got my money.

Saying this, I may simply be victim to more eye catching 'out of the box' picture settings on the Hitachi (or poor ones on the PE50) and I don't know how easy on the eye each image would have been over prolonged viewing.

If the experience taught me one thing it is that you must get some evidence from your own eyes, not go on (even the voiciferous majority) of opinion on this forum. Heaven alone knows how you get pre-purchase time with the right settings and connections and time to concentrate on material with which you are familiar, though! Any recommendations on this gratefully received.

3. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What i think is interesting is that this latest Hitachi only has a cr of 1000:1, no gain over previous generation, while the new Samsung and LG screens have a cr of 10.000:1! Yeh i know it's on paper, it says nothing about pq and nobody here has seen them yet, but it's defenetely something to consider. :rolleyes: