• Panasonic TH42PX60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hitachi PD7500

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
J

junpit

Hi

For a few years I had a 42PD3000 which was a fantastic set but not HD ready. I bought a 42PD7200 last year (July) and received it in September from John Lewis. The unit was priced at £2495 but they price matched it locally so I got it for £1995.

3 weeks ago my tv would not turn on. I contacted JL who themselves got someone out who fetched the TV and returned it after replacing the power supply. It was switched on that evening and I switched it off when I went to bed. When I got up in the morning it would not switch on again. We never physically turn the unit off but use the push switch on the unit.

They fetched it again and returned it a second time. The power supply went again. The guys who bought it back also lifted it by the speakers when they hung it and put a nasty dint in the speaker. Obviously there is something wrong with the panel which is blowing the power supply.

JL have offered me a refund of £1995 or they will swap it for a TV in store.
I visited them today.

I can swap it for a Panasonic TH42PX60 or a Hitachi 42PD7500 in store. I also liked the Pioneer 436SXE which they had for £2495. Strangely enough they would not let me have this model even though my TV was originally the same price in their store.

I can buy a Pioneer 436RXE from Richer Sounds for £1799. What would you advise me to do with my £1995. I have asked JL for a refund which they will do.

Unfortunately I have to wait for JL to fetch my hitachi before they will give me a refund. I am leaning towards a pioneer which will leave me with £200 free to get a mount.

So very simply whats the best picture both with SD and 720p and 1080i.

1. Pioneer 436 (SXE or RXE - RXE does not have digital tuner)
2. Hitachi 42PD7500
3. Panasonic TH42PX60.

I also would be interested in why there is a £700 pound difference between the PX60 and the PV500 in store. This does not really make sense.

Thanks in advance.

Junpit

rickyjohn

junpit said:
Hi

For a few years I had a 42PD3000 which was a fantastic set but not HD ready. I bought a 42PD7200 last year (July) and received it in September from John Lewis. The unit was priced at £2495 but they price matched it locally so I got it for £1995.

3 weeks ago my tv would not turn on. I contacted JL who themselves got someone out who fetched the TV and returned it after replacing the power supply. It was switched on that evening and I switched it off when I went to bed. When I got up in the morning it would not switch on again. We never physically turn the unit off but use the push switch on the unit.

They fetched it again and returned it a second time. The power supply went again. The guys who bought it back also lifted it by the speakers when they hung it and put a nasty dint in the speaker. Obviously there is something wrong with the panel which is blowing the power supply.

JL have offered me a refund of £1995 or they will swap it for a TV in store.
I visited them today.

I can swap it for a Panasonic TH42PX60 or a Hitachi 42PD7500 in store. I also liked the Pioneer 436SXE which they had for £2495. Strangely enough they would not let me have this model even though my TV was originally the same price in their store.

I can buy a Pioneer 436RXE from Richer Sounds for £1799. What would you advise me to do with my £1995. I have asked JL for a refund which they will do.

Unfortunately I have to wait for JL to fetch my hitachi before they will give me a refund. I am leaning towards a pioneer which will leave me with £200 free to get a mount.

So very simply whats the best picture both with SD and 720p and 1080i.

1. Pioneer 436 (SXE or RXE - RXE does not have digital tuner)
2. Hitachi 42PD7500
3. Panasonic TH42PX60.

I also would be interested in why there is a £700 pound difference between the PX60 and the PV500 in store. This does not really make sense.

Thanks in advance.

Junpit

did you like the 7200, in terms of pq etc? I've just got one, its great. Do you know that the 7500 is the same as the 7200, just with built in freeview?

IMO (and it biased), get the £1995 from JL and buy the 7200 again for £1250 (on the net not inc delivery). So about 700 quid to play with, though admittedly you want have the 5 year warranty as with JL.

CFC1

Junpit: Rickyjohn is right. Get the 2k refund from JL and get another 7200 and pocket the difference for something else. You obviously liked it or you wouldnt have got it in the first place.
You wont find many (if any) stories like yours about the 7200 failing. It was just one of those things and you were unlucky. It happens.

dan77

Glad to read these replies as I have just purchased a 7200 for £1398!

No more nightmares like I've had with the 6600.

J

junpit

Hi

Are you guys honestly telling me that the 7200 performs better than a PIO 43SXE on screen?

Everyone I have spoken to suggests otherwise at the moment. I bought my 7200 as I had previously had a 3000 and it was a good TV. Looking side by side running the same material the panasonic and pioneer were almost indistinguishable (pio just better) whilst the hitachi was still good but not quite as crisp.

I looked at both 720p from a media center and 1080i. The 7200 was real close to the pioneer at 1080i but was noticeably not as crisp at 720p.

I just want to be sure that what I saw wasnt being adversely affected by the setup in store which was making the hitachi look worse than it should have been.

At the moment I'm considerfing buying a PIO RXE from Richer Sounds as its 1799 and I will get some change from my refund. Wall mounting is not a big issue as I have a HDMI and component feeds laid into the wall. I could shell out about 1500 for a new Hitachi and get £300 more for my money but with Sky HD coming (ordered last week) I want to ensure the display is stunning.

Another reason for shying away from the 7200 a little is my wife wan't keen on the unit as she said it was not as nice on the wall as the PD3000. Women - really!??

The Pio has rounded black edges and looks the business.

Thanks

Junpit

CFC1

Your call Junpit. But you can currently do a lot better than £1500 for the 7200 (try nearer £1300).
Initially, I too was seduced by the glossy curvy look of the Pio. Then I stood back (My missus pulled me back actually!) and I considered whether the aesthetics warranted the £600 difference between the two. I thought not.
Then I listened to the sound quality from the Pio with its integral speakers and it disappointed me. IMO the sound from 7200 is gutsier and more spatial (maybe due to its side mounted speakers). But this was a big consideration for me because my room is fairly large and from my listening position I didnt want the sound to "get lost" before it got to me.
To my eyes the Pio and indeed the panasonic (pv500 i think) just edged it on the pq over the Hitachi but the 7200 ran them close enough for me not to want to pay the extra money.
I got mine on Saturday and am absolutely delighted with it and for my own part I am more than happy that I made the right choice.
Good luck whatever you choose mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom