1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD7200 installation connections / hdmi?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pr1970, Jul 12, 2005.

1. pr1970

pr1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

I`m just about to purchase one of these and was wondering what connections/cables I should use to connect it up. I`m going to mount
    it on the wall (above a fireplace) so I`m wanting to route the cables around the inside the wall in plastic trunking.
    question is, could i use just a hdmi cable and power cable to connect it up or will i need s-video , componet cables and phono cables (what my current setup has).

thanks in advance

Paul

2. rich7237

rich7237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what you are going to plug into the tv and how easy it will be to add leads in the future. Hdmi will carry sound and picture from a dvd player and the picture is better than scart/component. Sky will need an s-video or scart lead too plus phono if you use s-video for the sound. You could always plug them all in and hook up which leads you want then you wont have to worry about getting behind the thing again when you need another input! By the way dont discount table mounting, the motorised stand is very cool and you can point the tv at which ever chair you sit in to make the most of the matrix sound(which is also pretty cool)!

3. pr1970

pr1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the idea was not to table mount the tv as the idea is to create more room in the lounge, hence mounting it on the wall above the fireplace.
    i`m just wondering if i can do without all the scart/component/s-video cables and just rely on a hdmi cable for the picture and audio.
    i currently have a dvd to tv via component, a vcr via scart and playstation2 via scart.

is there anything that can switch from various sources to hdmi? say dvd component to hdmi or scart to hdmi or is that too much wishful thinking?
    thanks
    Paul

4. rich7237

rich7237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That I think is wishful thinking( I could be wrong) , you can get an av box which will do everything except for the hdmi (dedicated hdmi splitters can cost over £100 )so you could have only two wires running to the tv hdmi for dvd and scart from the splitter for everything else. As you only have a video and playstation picture quality wont suffer too much going through a splitter. The conections for the tv are on the bottom so it's not like you can not plug more stuff in quite easily later anyway. I thing about the fire place you may not be able to use the fire with a plasma haning just above it, it could ruin your telly so you need to look into that!