Hitachi 42PD7200 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Dave A, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like many people the more I read the more confused I seem to be getting. I want a 42” Hi-def ready plasma screen that is going to last me a while and I don’t want to spend crazy money (not sure the two things go together). I am looking at the Hitachi 42PD7200 which I have now seen for £1,799 incl delivery at Digitech Electronics, has anyone used them before and are they any good? :confused:

Also does anyone have any other suggestions for similar spec screens at this price point, I am going to wall mount and I would rather not have any speakers built into the screen (the Hitachi’s are removable)?

The only doubt I have with the Hitachi is the ALIS screen, which despite reading a number of other threads is still not clear to me whether I should view this as a negative.

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    What's wrong with ALiS?

3. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I like alis, due to the absence of visible 'grid' and blocky pixels.. but it is'nt very suitable for HD technology and the black levels are'nt the best.

4. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    alis - shmalis - not very suited for hd - don't make me laugh

check the reviews of this set - i have had one for two months now and no complaints - it does look nicer without the speakers attached

As for blacks - well I watched Batman Begins last night - no complaints

Also would suggest a DVE calibration after about 250 hours - it improved my picture certainly

But have a look at the available sets - its a good price @1799 but you need to see various sets in action before deciding - I took a good two months going back and forward looking at various models and decided on this as a comination of price, picture, connections and aesthetics.

No regrets thus far, and looking forward to sky hd - and xbox 360 - roll on Dec 2nd...

5. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is always good to hear positive responses from existing owners. Have to say I am very tempted.

A local outlet has the 7200 in stock for £1,995 which I could collect from. But with a possible saving of £200 I am very tempted by the offer at Digitech, but having not heard of them I am a little twitchy, I phoned them today and the guy said he was expecting some in today, coincidence or spinning me a line?

6. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well, I paid 2k for mine just so that I could get it directly from Richer Sounds in Belfast where I live - I was wary of spending so much online and wanted to have someone to batter if things went wrong

Also paid extra 200 for RS two year extension to the OMG - peace of mind - and as extended warranties go it was the cheapest and best...

I think you can become obsessive about such purchases when visitng sites such as this one - you start to look for faults or see testamonials to other brands which border on zealousness.

Ultimatley, plonk your money down ( after a period of appropriate research ) and enjoy - dont become obsessive ( Hello , Majid....) :)

7. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say what you have said makes a lot of sense, I like you, would prefer to hand over the money with the ability to go back to see someone if there are problems. Having said that if someone could confirm the quality of service of Digtech I would appreciate it.

Was the box it came in much bigger than the size of the actual screen?

8. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Considerably - I went and hired a small van for £28.00 for four hours to go and pick it up - money well spent, given the advice to keep it vertical.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    'Not very suited for HD' I expect he means the built in fixed overscan, the 'interlaced' nature of the display, and lack of PC compatiblilty (no native res) and scaler compatibility. Sure, you can plug a HD source into it, it's fully HD ready and all that. Bottom line, go and see one run, and see Pioneer and Panasonic too. I'm sure you could find owners of those 2 to spout enthusiastically about their own kit too, even if they are disappointed, few people will ever admit to a bad decision. Or in many cases, even realise they have made one.

10. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Nothing wrong at all with mine running 1080i content.

NOTHING I SAY :smashin:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Of course not, to you. You chose it and paid for it.

12. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you expand on your comments regarding the lack of PC and scaler compatibility? Is the PC element in relation the 1024x1024 screen structure that does not allow for 1:1 mapping? Have to say I am not going to connect a PC anyway (although I would have liked to run a couple of HD clips I have to see what the image is like)

Not so sure on your comments re the scaler. If I purchased a DVD player that has the Faroudja chip to upscale images are you saying this would not work with this screen, even if it was connected via HDMI? If this is the case, why would it not work as the DVD player would be outputting 720p or 1080i signals?

Cheers

13. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sweet Jesus MAW, would you give it a rest...

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    PC issues are indeed 1024/1024 related. A dedicated video scaler also requires ideally to access the native res of the panel. Also, PC resolutions are the only ones that don't overscan. You really need to see it run, the ALIS picture is, er, 'different'. Yes, I know, all you guys who've got them think it's brilliant, yawn. Seriously, the look of alis is a bit like marmite, no no, not brown and sticky, you either love it or hate it. What the users like is the bright, bold colours, and the price of course. What the haters don't like is the lack of anything resembling black, though if your room is bright you may not notice that. We also see frame rate conversion judder, picture noise, and rather than the 'detail' the lovers see, we see 'busyness' it's over sharp and unnatural. They are super critical on settings, so the initial shock of it out of the box is not what you will end up with. That's why I recommend seeing one, and being objective. If you've seen it and like it, buy it. If you buy it with no demo, don't come round here telling everyone it's the best. How would you know?

15. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I run my HTPC via DVI on the panel at 1920x1080i and, aside from the overscan issues (the screen edges are slightly beyond the display when using the Windows desktop) I don't have any other concerns about it at all. The overscan is a non-issue in Media Center anyway since the UI can be set to compensate for this. All IMO of course; as everyone always says, try to see the panels you are interested in side-by-side and make a decision that way instead of going on people's personal opinions, as they will most likely be biased anyway :)

At the end of the day, if the PV500 had been out at the same time as the 7200, and the price tag had been the same as the 7200, I most likely would have bought one...but that was not the case. Not that I regret buying the 7200, I'm more than happy with it - and £1799 is an absolute bargain.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That is a good price for an HD ready screen, very tempting indeed. You'd never get near it with any other Japanese brand. If that's the budget it may well be the best available.

17. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think you're getting him down MAW...

18. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There's no getting down on this!! :D

MAW's is only a personal opinion on Hitachis which reflects nothing at the end but his personal hatred to the brand. No one gives a sh*t what he says.

The 42PD7200 is a winner, boasting super picture quality, great connectivity and at a price you can't resist!! No competition at that price, really. Apart from the fact that it's miles better than similar products costing hundreds more. :thumbsup:

Cheerz :hiya:

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The slight difference with mine is that I really have seen them all. And 'fact' is in fact your personal opinion. We can surely agree to differ over opinions. All I've rally said is for god's sake go and see the blooming thing, nobody's opinion counts but your own when it's your 2 grand!!

20. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Regarding my comment about Alis and HD, it was only regarding the resolution of ALis screens. But i agree with MAW when he says it can't be beat for budget plasmas(You did say that did'nt you?).

Black levels can be improved with a little tweaking like turning the blue level up slightly and turning down red accordingly(i swear it works) but the grading of dark greys/blacks is not great(someone in a black shirt or black hair against a black background, for example)

21. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Im sorry maw ,i do respect your comments but your incessant hitachi bashing is boring .YAWN
    Not everybody who's looking to buy a plasma is a complete berk ,and for me personally who demo'd lcd's and plasma's for over 4months as well as listening on here ,and looking at my old mans pw7 ,i do think i made a good choice .

So stick that in your pipe . :eek:

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Fact is that very few people actually take that trouble. Good on you for doing so, and making a reasoned decision, and one that you are happy with. This is a public forum though, and within the rules (unlike you) I will speak as I find. If you don't like it, tough.

23. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have an Hitachi 42PD7200.

The screen is really good, everyone who has seen it is amazed with the PQ. I also can't explain why everyone is so negative on the blacks of this screen. I have an Denon 1920 DVD (HDMI) witch is set to 720p or 1080i. Have watched dozens of movies and can't say an bad word about the blacks on this panel. The colours are very vibrant, am very happy with the choice i made.

Jeffrey

24. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    If i broke any forums rules than i apologise .

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No worries from me, just avoid talk of sticking anything in anyone's pipe, it would be a shame to get a ban for insults over a trivial little thing like this thread. I don't resent it in any way, not the kind of thing I'd report at all, just a word of caution in case you meet someone who is not a metal man, a sensitive type!

26. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Fair do's ,sometimes i forget im not still on a building site at work . :oops:
    No worries duck.

27. azs

azs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kingsize,
    I've owned my Hitachi for a year now and am very happy.
    I have only just got round to mating it with a modern DVD player and I have to say I think the pictures through the component sockets are the absolute business. I don't think anyone on this forum could question that this is a very good value unit - read last years magazines to see where it sits in the eyes of the proffessional reviewers.

However, if I had my time again I would spend some time investigating DLP rear projection. They are getting much slimmer and IMO any plasma would struggle to improve on the picture + you get more inches for your money.

my2p