1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD7200 & HD tests :)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dan L, May 10, 2005.

1. Dan L

Dan L

Feb 7, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Had another round of testing on my Hitachi just now - phew what a learning curve!!

My previous setup was PC->PDP via RGB D-SUB (the normal VGA monitor cable)...with this setup I was confused as to why I could not get the panel to display ANY interlaced resolution, basically the display would pixellate to the point of being unreadable.

So tried some settings using the DVI-D connector.

First off - wow, the picture is soooo much clearer! According to the manual it does not have as many resolution settings - there are a few VESA resolutions supported, but it's restricted for PC use...so I wired both RGB and DVI-D to the TV and set the PC to clone the displays - best of both worlds :smashin:

Using the DVI-D connector, I tried out 720p first...the plasma didn't like it at all, nothing but a black screen. After consulting the manual, there are two settings on the TV side for the DVI-D input - "DVI-PC" and "DVI-STB". For some reason, the STB setting is the one that supports the HD modes...a little weird...but tried it any way, and it worked a treat.

Everything up to 720p works good, however:

720p - scaling was out, as I've found with the RGB input. The picture was overscanned too much - I had to underscan it (using the Nvidia software) to make the picture fit fully on the display.

1080i - worked, but again the scaling was out, even more so that 720p. Also, the display was fairly poor - readable but fairly pixellated. The pixellation even in Media Center was bad enough to make me not want to use it.

I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong here - or if that's just the way it is?

Either way, very pleased with the improved PQ over DVI...very pleased indeed!