Hitachi 42PD7200 Died!

S

shadowcaster

My Hitachi 42PD7200 was working fine a few days ago and as always I turn it off via the right hand power switch. Anyway, I go away for a few days, come back today, try and turn it on and.....dead as a doornail!! :eek:

There was no obvious sign of anything going wrong either. no popping, no smoke, no billowing flames!! :D

I checked the power cable to see if it had come loose....nope! I also changed the fuse twice just to make sure. Still nothing...No power light! :eek:

Apologies, but I'm a bit of a noob on the technical side of this TV and being it's just turned 15 months old, it's warranty has expired and I'm hoping there is an easy solution to getting it working again.

I have Sky HD plugged into it via an Octava switch and I hope it's not a case of the vindictive little Sky box thinking it would fry my TV rather than just the HDCP board! :D

I've came across threads saying there is an internal 20mm fuse. Is this true?

Any advice would be appreciated guys

:thumbsup:

There is a 6.3A fuse on the Power Filter board but I guess you PSU went bust :cool: Some repair centres bother to take a look and try to repair them which mostly its always the same couple of components going wrong ;) Most repair centres just replace the board and hand you over the hefty bill :eek: I suggest you start by calling your dealer and then Hitachi, have a word with them and argue (in a gentle manner IMO) that for the money you spent this is a product that should last a reasonable length of time without a major part going faulty :lease:

Hope this helps :hiya:

My PD7200 died 4 weeks ago. Power pack failed, and it would have cost £180 to fix. My warranty only had 3 weeks to go, so Im glad it died when it did. Gutted though, did not expect my £2500 plasma to die within 12 months.

Peace,

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'll be phoning up the supplier tomorrow followed by Hitachi and post back what they say

My problem does sound similar to bboy-mass'

:D

It looks like my 42PD7200 died too. It's 13 months after purchase, so a month out of manufacturers warranty.

I wonder if this is a trend.

Be grateful to know how you got on with the repairs?

Matt

14 months old and dead too. 4 members in 1 week, this is very strange. I really dont know what to do. Im not forking out £200+ on a screen i paid £2k for only a year ago.

U.K. (240V, 50Hz, I/PAL)
Hitachi Europe Ltd. Digital Media Group
Lower Cookham Road
Maidenhead
Berkshire, SL6 8YA
Tel:+44-1628-643000
Fax:+44-1628-643400
email:[email protected]

: Advice & Repair
: Advice
| TURN BACK |

Spooky guys - my PD7200 also died yesterday so that's five in a week. Placed my order on 21st September so luckily still within MF warantee . Called currys (web order) today and engineer coming out on tuesday. Chap on phone said prob would not be able to fix on site and would take away.. prob take 7-10 days to fix.

My prob is red light and green light come on but screen dead as a dodo.... I want a new plasma...

Having read this thread i have forbodings about this.. any ideas on how to get a replacement?

I'm gettin on the phone to Richer Sounds tomo and will argue my case. Sales of Goods act states any item should last within reason for a reasonable life time. 60 weeks for a 2k plasma in my eyes, with 5 proven exact same faults is enough to guarantee a free replacement/repair. What do you think?

Anyone else with a broken 7200 got lights on but 'no one at home'?!:confused: :D

Please let us know how Hitachi deal with this situation, especially for us future plasma buyers who want to know how manufacturers customer services are.

For anyone in the south of England, I know of a good repair shop nr Gatwick, for those who's warranty is sunk without trace. I wish you the best of luck with Hitachi and a free repair though, that contact is the last resort, clearly.

As the DTI states, its the vendor not the manufacturer that is responsible for this. Therefore Maw we should require no Luck with Hitachi but from the shop we bought it from.

As a retailer, I'm only too aware of this. However, it's a lot easier if H will co-operate. I don't sell any H products, cos historically they are not good here, and I have no wish to be left high and dry. Other manufacturers will honour 'just out of warranty' no problem.

This is worrying as mine is approaching the end of warranty period. Mind you, I did have 4 at the beginning, the current one of which I got in about March. Maybe mine will die in 4 months time? I'm hoping that I got rid of all my bad luck with this set at the start but am keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Mine died a few days ago too. Looks like a Power problem, just run out of warranty in July 06, it's only 14 months old...cheap parts i reckon.
I called up Hitachi and explained the problem, they have asked him to get a service engineer report from one of their suppliers and then they may send the parts and i pay for the labour...
I opened up the plasma and checked the board, the power goes through the fuse Ok and upto the main board, where it dies...looks like a heafty bill.:eek: :confused:

I kicked up a big stink on the phone to Richer Sounds, promised call back by end of day 5pm looms, ring back, can i put you on hold sir, yes no problem, 2 mins later, yes sir even though its 2mths outside of warranty please drop off at local RS and we will repair. HEY PRESTO! well its not fixed yet but here's for hoping.

:D

Thought I might join the happy throng of owners with dead screens.
Mine died on August 28th, five weeks short of one year, called Mastercare, couldn't come until the following Friday, (Sept 1st), told them I was surprised they hadn't come with the part as I had since learned that it was not an uncommom problem.
They said that Hitachi would not release part without serial number.
Received a letter from them on Wednesday Sept 6th stating part had been ordered from Hitachi.
As of today I'm still waiting.
Time to start shouting me thinks.

For those of you within Warranty (even though a harsh inconvenience) can count yourselves lucky. I really had to argue my case with RS, escalating my calls to senior managers on the customer service number. I really hope people out there who bought there screens from lesser known, lesser reputable companies will still manage to get there screens fixed.

As mentioned I am starting to think this is a common fault, Hitachi said to me 'of the thousands of panels we've sold only a few have come back with faults. I am going to start a Poll on this forum for Plasma faults within reasonable lifespan.

All my experiences with Richer sounds have been positive, I would never have doubted they would do the right thing in the end. I reckon they will have to take this on the nose though. Fortunately they have the staff and the facilities to repair it themselves I believe, so it's just the bits to them. It's a bit more awkward for the smaller operations, though I have a relationship with a repairer. I have never yet had to shell out for a repair myself, all agreed with the manufacturers so far, 4 years.

Is it just me or do others find it strange that products fail just out of warranty, I have had this happen on several occasions, it's almost like the is a built in failure timer in products, just so the consumer has to go out and replace, cynical I know, but just take this thread for example.

I'm sure it's unfortunate rather than malicious, after all, end of warranty is not end of responsibility.

The 7200 PSU is quite a common problem and Hitachi know it, even the retailers know it :rolleyes: They should solve the problem for free :eek: And to me it sounds also unacceptable that vital parts are not available from stock and take more than 3 days to arrive to the repair centre :(

Why don't you state your similar problems with Hitachi together ?? :lesson:

Cheers :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom