Hitachi 42PD7200 Died!

Well after a google session I spotted this thread on this very forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300874

Now I'm really annoyed, in the words of the late (and not so great) Robert Maxwell, even a one eyed Albanian can tell there is a QC issue with this set, Hitachi know it they are just not willing to admit there is a problem, I'm not looking for a public humiliation, just a one to one over the phone with someone from Hitachi who going to offer to fix my plasma...at their cost...and quickly !

Have you tried watching Sky HD, Xbox 360, HD-DVD on a 14" portable......

Retronana

My 7200 packed in tonight - EXACTLY 1 week over the year warranty :mad:

It simply will not switch on - totally dead.

What a nightmare!

Anyone any luck getting this repaired for free outside of warranty?

UPDATE

That is now 11 guys on here;

shadowcaster
bboy-mass
Mattcom35
tim kay
Fozzv
vbansal
Delboy34
craighome
Retronana
GIR
zorro

This cannot be right - this must be a Quality issue with these sets?

All have packed in aroud 11-14 months after delivery

Pretty sure I have a legal support helpline at work who can give guidance on consumer issues - will speak to them tomorrow an update the thread

My 7200 packed in tonight - EXACTLY 1 week over the year warranty :mad:

It simply will not switch on - totally dead.

What a nightmare!

Anyone any luck getting this repaired for free outside of warranty?

Sorry to hear this news, I'm only just out of warranty and have not managed to get Hitachi to agree to repair at their cost....yet

Sorry to hear this news, I'm only just out of warranty and have not managed to get Hitachi to agree to repair at their cost....yet

Has the dealer you purchased the set from come back to you with a way forward yet.

Has the dealer you purchased the set from come back to you with a way forward yet.
Yes they have, the MD rang me this morning, nice guy, wants to assist and advised me to put my case on email and send it to him directly which I have done this afternoon.

I wouldn't want to say much more than that as I don't want to cause the dealer concerned any hassle as I don't think they can really me held liable for this mess.

I'm no detective, but the evidence all points to a PSU Board breakdown fault on a load of sets that where purchased in summer 2005, all which seem to now be failing.

Summer 2005 was a real peak selling period for this set, it was getting brilliant reviews and the High Street price was around £800 less than its nearest competitor at the time, 1000's of these must have been sold and heavens knows how many now dead or are going to go pop in the next few weeks.

Although RICHER SOUNDS have said they will collect my screen for repair and are supposed to be contacting me today to arrange I decided to also contact HITACHI direct.

I sent an email to the Customer Service via the HITACHI UK web site and got an immediate reply advising me to
"contact the Customer Help Line 0870 405 4405 during office hours, ( Mon-Fri 9am-6pm ) where one of our consultants would be able to advise you of your local Hitachi repair agents"

I telephoned this number and was given the name of as local repair agent, who has said he can look at the screen next week - not too sure which route to go but would prefer to use the local guy rather than have screen sent all around the country.

This is getting worrying.Bought my 7200 about 3 weeks ago but from what I'm reading here it could have been a big mistake.I'll watch this post with interest.

I would hope Hitachi have changed the PSU units on new stock, so hopefully you should be ok :)

Thought I would post a copy of the posting I found with regards to the issue with the PSU.

The original post was made on the 5th Feb 2006, bit of a shame some of us didn't spot it.

Unless Hitachi are stupid (lets assume they are not !) they will have known there was an issue with the PSU in late 2005 and should have acted by offer a mod for sets that where likely to be effected.

Hi,

I've had my 42PD7200 now for 7 months and I have enjoyed its great allround performance.

Two week ago it just died on me, no picture, no nothing. Telephoned Hitachi (to their credit, excellent response) and they arranged for their engineer to call me. I explained the problem, very simple. Without any hestation, the engineer confirmed the power supply would need replacing and one was ordered.

Last week the engineer called and within 45 minutes the offending part was replaced and the television was as good as new. The speed with which the engineer handled the original telephone conversation and the repairs, prompted me to ask if he had replaced this part before. Yes, he had replaced 7 (seven) power supply units in the last 3 months on the 42PD7200.

It begs the question, has anyone else expirenced the same problem?

Further, IMHO the picture appears to me to be sharper and more radiant then before. The engineer did say that the power supply has been upgraded.

Second question, how many other 42PD7200 owners, out there are using their televisions, unaware that the power supply is not quite up to standard? I guess under the circumstances, I must have been one of the lucky ones, as had this part become faulty after the initial warranty period. I hate to think, how much it wiould have cost.
Set-up:Hitachi 42PD7200, Panasonic DVD-S97, Yamaha DSP-E800, Audio Analogue Pre/Pwr Amp, Teac VRDS10se CD, Pink Triangle Dacapo (1307) DAC, Nakamichi CR-1 C/Deck, Pro-ject RPM9 T/Table, Ruark Speakers and VDH Cables.

I would hope Hitachi have changed the PSU units on new stock, so hopefully you should be ok

You're having a larf, mate! It's cheaper to see how many fail in the field, how many people complain if it's out of warranty, and fix the 'few' that crop up and get stroppy, far cheaper than wholesale replacemtn of PSUs in new, boxed product, and repacking to 'as new' standard.

You're having a larf, mate! It's cheaper to see how many fail in the field, how many people complain if it's out of warranty, and fix the 'few' that crop up and get stroppy, far cheaper than wholesale replacemtn of PSUs in new, boxed product, and repacking to 'as new' standard.

I get your point, although with a PSU failure it could have caused a fire, Microsoft replaced every Xbox PSU with something that was more akin to 1970's radiogram PSU when they had QC issues, maybe its going to take someone to take them to the small claims court or get some Trading Standards office involved.

If I have not heard anything from Hitachi via my dealer by the end of next week I'm going to ramp it up a level !

One email to Steve May and Barry Fox and Hitachi will be pleading for mercy ;)

They will not stop to plead for mercy, your PSU will be out, and new one in, before you pass wind, let alone a citizen's advice bureau. Just pity the folks who do not know enough to get to that point. Lots of folks would go to the manufacturer (there's another thread just the same about Philips), be fobbed off, and just roll over. It's our job, part of the profit margin is to pay us to chase on your behalf. 1st stop, retailer, guys. Manufacturers have all just rolled over for me so far, they have more to lose from a retailer. And I'm just a small independent, though a member of a prestigious trade organisation, maybe that helps? Maybe it's just being polite but firm...

My screen packed in last night. Switched it to standby and when i went back to switch it on, Nothing. Lucky for me i purchased the panel protect warrenty from RS. Rang them thismorning and they are aranging pickup as we speek. Still not happy that this has happened on a 14 Month old £2000 bit of kit. very worrying.

First post by the way :rotfl:

Guys check out the Sales of Goods Act:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/Fact Sheets/page24700.html

One part says:
"For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement)."

So under these circumstances, Hitachi should cover you/repair for free.

Jon

Can anyone who is one of the Hitachi 11 (now 12!) PM your names, date of purchase and serial numbers.

I'll then get it knocked up into something that can be posted here....

Hi mate

will do that now.

I will definately be taking legal action, as I have a house insurance policy which covers me for legal costs up to £50K, so will do it - nothing to lose really.

I have already taken legal advice on this, and their view was two fold;

1. if I can prove that there are 11 (now 12) others with similar problems, a court would almost certainly deem this to be a manufacturing fault.
2. Most courts would agree that an item costing between £2000 and £2500 should last longer than 12-14 month

Both of these fall within the Sale of Goods Act I believe

I think for records, we need;

Name of Owner - Paul Cowan
Date Of Purchase - 13th September 2005
Date of Fault - 18th September 2006
Place of Purchase - Comet Direct
Serial Number -

Where do we get the serial number from as a matter of interest?

I have attached a basic Spreadsheet to help collate the details for everyone :smashin:

Attachments

• Hitachi Problems.xls
    15 KB · Views: 186
Get your serial form the back label of your Plasma ;)

I would also state the date when fault occured in the spreadsheet to show that the problem occurs at some point around the 12-month mark :cool:

Cheers :hiya:

Good shout with the date of fault - have updated the spreadsheet :smashin:

My plasma is still on the wall bracket at the moment, so cannot get at the serial just now, but will when I get it repaired

So come on guys - lets get the details on here, so we can compile a comprehensive list

Added my details and uploaded :)

Attachments

• Hitachi%20Problems(1).xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 214
Added my details and attached.

Attachments

• Hitachi%20Problems(2).xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 148
Have updated my details.

Attachments

• Hitachi%20Problems(2)-2.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 120
File Updated - thanks guys :smashin:

Attachments

• Hitachi Problems1.xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 107
Added the date my past to the other side :(

Attachments

• Hitachi%20Problems1(1).xls
    14.5 KB · Views: 132
I've attached the XL sheet with my info.

I hope to hear from the HITACHI engineer tomorrow about when he will look at my screen.

Attachments

• Hitachi Problems 3.xls
    15 KB · Views: 200
Question for those lucky ennough to have had the repair - how long did it take from first reporting ?

Not had mine repaired as yet - sent a letter to Comet Direct by recorded delivery on Friday, asking them to fix it, before I take urther action.

Any more for the spreadsheet - still around 6/7 names to collect :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom