hitachi 42pd7200 buzzing noise

A

ak57

ok i'm scared. my brand new screen is making a buzzing noise. now i've read on these forums that some are totally silent. well mine is only noticable when you get right up close but for over a grand, i'm not gonna risk it if it's a fault.

does anyone know what my rights are regarding this issue if it is a fault? i only bought it yesterday.

g852

if its a day old, you can take it straight back today, if you want to. see what other hitachi owners say. or go find one on display and see if that buzzes. or wait a while and see if it dies down.

A

ak57

yeah, i thought about checking on a display one. but then i thought it's so loud in the store i wouldn't hear it anyway

A

ak57

so have you heard of anyone who had a buzzer which went away. normally i find that when something buzzez, it gets gradually worse. if it's like this now and i'm right then... arghhhh

True Romance

Distinguished Member
hi,
got mine last week after sending a back a samsung lcd for buzzing, read all the reviews so went for the 42pd7200, only this one is buzzing even more. if you have sky and go into sky planner and change to box office, setup, etc you can hear the buzzing change tone! got the engineer coming on friday will update when he's gone.

Neil.

g852

ak57 said:
so have you heard of anyone who had a buzzer which went away. normally i find that when something buzzez, it gets gradually worse. if it's like this now and i'm right then... arghhhh

I have a philips LCD in another room and it buzzed horribly and quite loudly. But after a while it went. A few days of normal watching. It was very annoying though, not audible over normal volume, but audible at low volumes and when changing channel.

cyman

mine had a slight buzz from new but it became more audble over time. it is one of the coils in the power board. the windings vibrate under load and cause the buzz.

i contacted hitachi direct who put me in contact with a local engineer they came out a week and a half ago and should be here in about half an hours time to fit the new power board.

if you can here the buzz over normal viewing volumes (16 sound level) from a couple of metres away then you should get it looked at or get it replaced. if you have to get up close with the volume down to hear it that is pretty normal and a lot of plasmas do this.

have you got your picture settings at factory defaults as they set contrast to max and the brighter the picture the more power used and the louder the buzz. do a search on here for the hitachi thread and you will find some optimum picture settings which i have used and are perfect.
cheers

:thumbsup:

A

ak57

man, why do many hitachis have this problem? i can hear it when the volume is at 40 plus

tgl

Novice Member
ak57 said:
man, why do many hitachis have this problem? i can hear it when the volume is at 40 plus

If I am not mistaken there are two common faults that occur with mid-range HD ready plasma's, and not just Hitachi's.

1. Fan cooling the display CPU.
2. Transformer hum.

Both have generally been corrected by newer releases of some plasma models, which is why some people complain about noise and others don't, for the same plasma model.

Unfortunately some display's using the Faroudja scaling chip up to 1024x768 or greater for HD, require a cooling fan. Where-as a model below may not have a fan, because the amount of processing and therefore heat generated by the CPU is far less. For example the LG 42PX4DV doesn't have a fan, where as the 5DV model does. The difference is purely in the scaling requiring the addition of a fan in the 5DV model.

Some people on this forum have complained about the 5DV fan noise, and yet, I don't hear mine at all (well not unless I stick my ear to the back right-hand side of the screen. Then again, my screen was manufactured in December 05, so they may have cured the issue by then.

If you aren't worried about taking the back off your prized screen, then sound proofing could always be added (taking care not to cover the ventilation holes).

TGL

camorra

Novice Member
The buzzing problem with some Hitachi's is transformer T201 or 202 on the Main Power Supply PCB. It changes tone when more current is drawn from the PSU, depending on the colours/brightness of what is being displayed in that moment :lesson:

Actually it is not such a big problem, but is mostly annoying :rolleyes: Fiddling a bit with contrast and brightness levels should reduce the noise, but anyhow, if your set is new try keeping these settings low for the first 200 hours or so :cool: The screen will also get better as you go along :smashin:

Hope this helps :hiya:

Jinxy

Mine does buzz but the vast majority of the time I can't hear it. Its noticable if the sky planner is up but also on normal viewing when the volume is low (6-10) and its quiet in the house (around midnight). I keep thinking I'll call Hitachi and get it fixed...but we've now had it for 4 months and so far I just can't be bothered as its not noticable most of the time.

Steve

Shiftynagasaki

I Had Two 6600,s Both Were Sent Back For Buzzing, However Both Of Mine Were Buzzing From The Speakers Not The Screen Even When Muted. Went For A Pioneer In The End No Buzzing Far Superior Pq

cyman

update: engineer has been today to sort out my buzz. he replaced the power/tranformer board which has greatly reduced the buzz it hasnt completly gone but i wasnt expecting it to. the only way to hear it now is to turn the volume down to about 10 and then you really have to strain to hear it. at normal levels 16-19 i cant hear it at all :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom