hitachi 42pd7200 anti climax???

A

ak57

hi, i've just set up my screen and am not 100% happy for some reason. does anyone know if it get better after the 200 hour running in period? and after 200 hous can you put the contrast/brightness higher? also does anyone else think that PAL on sky digi looks way better than RGB?

i mean have i done something wrong here? i've set it to extended 2 with contrast -13 and brightness -13 (unlucky number?) the screensaver is set to 1 hour and the wipe is set to 1 hour. contrast is low on sky digi.

finally can someone please tell me if setting sky digi through av2 scart is correct? i haven't had the chance to test this on dvd yet but am hoping for somethig special. also, when are you supposed to use that dvd to get the settings right (before or after the first 200 hours) thanks, and sorry if i've asked obvious questions but i'm dumb like that

Those settings look a bit low. :(

Try these as a starting point:

Picture Mode: Natural
Contrast: +1
Brightness: +5
Colour: -5
Sharpness: -15 to 0
Tint: Greyed out for Sky
Colour Temp: Normal
Contrast Mode: Normal
YNR, CNR, Film Mode, LTI, CTI, Black Enhancement, Auto colour: all off
All colour settings set to off to start with.

AV2 is RGB enabled. The picture should be better than PAL.

If your talking about the DVE disc for calibrating, I'm waiting until after the 200 hours so that if it sets the contrast/brightness higher I should be OK.

By the way, what don't you like about the PQ?

Regards

assuming PQ means picture...... ok , thinking about it, it probably means picture quality? am i right? it just doesn't seem as vibrant and sharp as other regular sets around the house. i mean i get a better picture from sky in my room with a regular jvc 28 inch widescreen. i hope dvd is better. i plan to connect that with scart. is it worth getting the thor scart cables to connect dvd and sky, thanks

It takes a while to settle down, the 1st 200 or so hours are not the best, but using the setting found in the 7200 Settings thread (do a search) the picture quality is massivly improved. Sky looks really nice once its setup properly, and its on a decent channel, the lower quality channels will show up so picture defects.

Once you get a high def source running into it the picture quality is just stunning. Xbox 360, High Def upscaled DVD or true High def images are just out of this world.

Steve

ak57 said:
assuming PQ means picture...... ok , thinking about it, it probably means picture quality? am i right? it just doesn't seem as vibrant and sharp as other regular sets around the house. i mean i get a better picture from sky in my room with a regular jvc 28 inch widescreen. i hope dvd is better. i plan to connect that with scart. is it worth getting the thor scart cables to connect dvd and sky, thanks

ARe you sure your CRTs are accurate or are they in defualt overblown mode?
DVD you should use Component for best PQ (Picture Quality) and it may not seem as sharp as it has a much larger area to fill with the same amount of data

in other words that means it has a worse picture. how much better does it get after 200 hours? and is the screen supposed to be totally silent?

Jinxy said:
It takes a while to settle down, the 1st 200 or so hours are not the best, but using the setting found in the 7200 Settings thread (do a search) the picture quality is massivly improved. Sky looks really nice once its setup properly, and its on a decent channel, the lower quality channels will show up so picture defects.

Once you get a high def source running into it the picture quality is just stunning. Xbox 360, High Def upscaled DVD or true High def images are just out of this world.

Steve

Completely agree with you there steve

biggest problem i have with sky is the channel inconsistancy - Some channels (channel 4, Five, E4) looks amazingly good but others just look really bad - but as pointed out on previous threads its not a problem with the actual tv its just the signal. I guess you could call it an issue but if u feed a poor signal into the hitachi u will get a poor output (GIGO)

but once u get some good hi-fef and component dvd images onto the hitachi its fantastic so stick with it mate

settings listed above should do u fine (also go with a good QED/THOR scart cable too) connect dvd via component cables

Try these settings for size ,

Picture Mode = Natural
Contrast = +1
Brightness = +7 (during day), +3 (during night)
Color = -5
Sharpness = -15 (i.e. Off)
Tint = 0
Color Temperature = Normal
Contrast Mode = Normal
YNR = Off
CNR = Off
Film Mode = Off
PAL Comb Filter = Off
LTI = Off
CTI = Off
Black Enhancement = low
Auto Color = Off
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Red = 0
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Blue = 0
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Green = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Red = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Blue = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Green = 0
Color Management->Magenta = 30
Color Management->Red = 30
Color Management->Yellow = 28
Color Management->Green = 27
Color Management->Cyan = 35
Color Management->Blue = 36
Color Decoder: Red = +32
Color Decoder: Green = +43
Color Decoder: Color = -5
Color Decoder: Tint = 0

Turn panel life back to normal as well.

Let me know how you get on.

couple of things. make sure your sky box scart is actually set to rgb so you get the better picture. also minimum viewing distance for a 42" screen is about 9 feet away for optimum pq and clarity. if you are closer than this you have to expect some jaggedness on sd inputs.

i have had my 7200 for about 5 months now. i use the settings above (except the sharpness which i have set to about -5) and with sky,xbox360 and tosh 350 dvd the pq cant be faulted.

set it up as listed and make sure your inputs are all set for optimum pq and you will def see an improvment. and the screen def gets better with use

:thumbsup:

The PQ on mine got worse after 200 hrs in fact horrible with red starbursts and shimmering especially on dark scenes. Hoping engineer will suggest replacement when he comes out to it but won't be getting another Hitachi that's for sure!

One of those things to be honest. You get duff plasmas from everybody...I had duff 435FDE, couple of LGs etc before settling on the Hitachi, which is brilliant

Had mine a week and a half. Its waiting to be moved into the lounge and fully intergrated with full AV system. Nevertheless been throwing any signal I could at it, through DVI, VGA, Component, S-VHS (I've no HDMI). Very very impressed with it (althou s-VHS is a bit pants to say the least! My HTPC Component 1080i output (even through Yamaha 657) playing Norah Jones HD clip is fantastic (inout AV4), A second PC input from the same source through RGB2, (simulating 2 monitors) allows PC games to be played at 1024x760 (great), and Upscaling DVD through either DVI or component (from SnaZio 1350) is wonderfull. Took 5 months before deciding in the 7200, and very glad I did!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom