Hitachi 42PD6600 screen burn protection

paulefox

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have one of these on order and they are delivering Thursday but I am a bit worried about screen burn
Does this screen have any protection against this built in
has anyone experienced it
I am considering renting one for a year instead but can not decide

Don't know about the 6600, but my 7200, which is similar, has pixel shuffle, the corners can be dimmed slightly to protect against logos, screensaver and something else that I can't remember.

I only use pixel shuffle and have had no problems :smashin:

Just remember to get rid of "Dynamic".

What is the option for pixel shuffle on the 7200 Badger? I can't seem to find it, although I think it may be on by default as I thought I noticed the screen move slightly when I was on the NTL EPG.

Hi
I have one of these on order and they are delivering Thursday but I am a bit worried about screen burn
Does this screen have any protection against this built in
has anyone experienced it
I am considering renting one for a year instead but can not decide

I wouldn't want to put you off from buying it - but as I've mentioned elsewhere... my mate bought the same plasma (hitachi 6600) and even though he claims he had turned the settings down to well below 50%, taken it out of dynamic mode, within 4 days his screen had a channel logo (Zee TV , asian channel) burnt in the top corner.

I had the same plasma on order and as you will see in the Hitachi 6600 threads, I was one of the first to compliment what I thought was superb picture quality on the Hitachi - to my mind, with Freeview, it's every bit as good as plasmas i've seen worth upto £1000 more... that's how I impressed I was with the PQ, that I ordered it at Currys on the spot - but, after seeing the screen burn on my mate's 6600 -- I had no hesitation in cancelling it... it's not a risk I was willing to take... from what my mate says, they only had Zee TV on for abt 3 hrs per day, but somehow the logo just got stuck permanently!

I've been to see him again this week and taken another look at his plasma, while the screen burn has faded away a little - it still looks pretty ugly and has ruined what is otherwise superb picture quality.

As a result of what happened, my mate's taken off the Sky Digibox and connected it back to his old CRT upstairs... he's only using the plasma for watching DVDs now (that too with black bars removed, even if it means zooming in and cropping a bit of the picture off).. and he's taken the settings down so low that the picture has lost the clarity and vibrant colours that made it such an attractive screen when I saw it at the store...

He's so fed up with the whole thing that he's just hoping the screen burn gradually fades away within a few weeks under these settings and watching only DVDs , and he'll eventually put it for sale for about a grand... and then perhaps get an LCD or something..

What should have been a pleasant experience for him by purchasing this plasma has turned into a nightmare.. :rolleyes:

bishman said:
What is the option for pixel shuffle on the 7200 Badger? I can't seem to find it, although I think it may be on by default as I thought I noticed the screen move slightly when I was on the NTL EPG.

Goto "function" , "screensaver".

Mine is set to 5mins.

It shuffles the picture a couple of pixels. It's totally unnoticable.

You probably already have it set.
It's been such a long time since I saw it, I had to check the manual.

HTH

PS
you also have "Luminance manager"
This gives you "Extend 1" and "Extend 2". Personally I'm not convinced with this as it seems to increase contrast.
I have mine set to normal.

Majid Khan said:
I wouldn't want to put you off from buying it - but as I've mentioned elsewhere... my mate bought the same plasma (hitachi 6600) and even though he claims he had turned the settings down to well below 50%, taken it out of dynamic mode, within 4 days his screen had a channel logo (Zee TV , asian channel) burnt in the top corner.

I had the same plasma on order and as you will see in the Hitachi 6600 threads, I was one of the first to compliment what I thought was superb picture quality on the Hitachi - to my mind, with Freeview, it's every bit as good as plasmas i've seen worth upto £1000 more... that's how I impressed I was with the PQ, that I ordered it at Currys on the spot - but, after seeing the screen burn on my mate's 6600 -- I had no hesitation in cancelling it... it's not a risk I was willing to take... from what my mate says, they only had Zee TV on for abt 3 hrs per day, but somehow the logo just got stuck permanently!
I've been to see him again this week and taken another look at his plasma, while the screen burn has faded away a little - it still looks pretty ugly and has ruined what is otherwise superb picture quality.

As a result of what happened, my mate's taken off the Sky Digibox and connected it back to his old CRT upstairs... he's only using the plasma for watching DVDs now (that too with black bars removed, even if it means zooming in and cropping a bit of the picture off).. and he's taken the settings down so low that the picture has lost the clarity and vibrant colours that made it such an attractive screen when I saw it at the store...

He's so fed up with the whole thing that he's just hoping the screen burn gradually fades away within a few weeks under these settings and watching only DVDs , and he'll eventually put it for sale for about a grand... and then perhaps get an LCD or something..

What should have been a pleasant experience for him by purchasing this plasma has turned into a nightmare.. :rolleyes:

I have to say, I'm a bit dubious about this, Majid.
Whilst not doubting what you're saying, I can only say that I have not had the slightest hint of retention, let alone screen burn.
The PQ of a default set up in Currys is useless, being totally garish and OTT, in my opinion.
The picture on my 7200 (to be fair, I'm not sure I'm comparing like for like, here, although it's the same screen) is miles better than default,because I took the trouble to do some research, get a disk and set it up properly.
That is something I would recommend to any prospective buyer of ANY plasma.

Paulefox, carry on mate and buy it :smashin:

That's what I dont seem to get badger, on the one hand there's ppl like yourself and others on here who have had a plasma for a year or so and have had not the slightest problem with image retention or screen burn, and then there are ppl on here who buy new plasmas and even with low settings during run in period, screen burn seems to occur... and in my mate's case, I've actually seen the damage its done so can't assume its just a 'myth'..

It just seems kind of random.. in when screen burn tends to happen.

I suppose it might well be that during the run in period you should avoid all channels with logos/static images altogether and then once it settles down, screen burn is no longer an issue.. because it seems most accounts of screen burn that i've read happen with ppl who have bought new plasmas.. and it happens within days.

I was thinking of the Hitachi 7200, I'm put now off by burn in.

Counting how many hrs the tv has been on, adjusting contract and brightness.

Most tv channels have logos in the corner like Majid's mate's tv.

I just want a tv I can switch on and input what ever I want without having a huge checklist.

SO no plasma can do this then?

Is plasma a flawed technology?
Is plasma burnin any different than crt burnin?

I'm sure you've read before, in my posts, that I mostly watch BBC news 24.
Even with it's fat red logo :eek:
And I'm talking about hours on end.

I was dubious because I was wondering if your friend was telling the whole truth.
I personally know people who are genuine technophobes. You can suggest things to them.
They'll say they have done what you suggest, but really don't understand what you're saying, so they haven't done it at all, even something as simple as turning the contrast down.
Then, there are another set of people who think you talk rubbish and leave things as default.

If that's not the case, your friend must be really unlucky, IMO.
You should have gone ahead with your order,IMO.
But I can understand why you cancelled.

I would say that there are very few posts about people getting screenburn and people with problems are the first to post on sites such as this.
So I really would say it's a very small problem, although it obviously does happen.
Your friend has my sympathies :(

marty2005 said:
I was thinking of the Hitachi 7200, I'm put now off by burn in.

Counting how many hrs the tv has been on, adjusting contract and brightness.

Most tv channels have logos in the corner like Majid's mate's tv.

I just want a tv I can switch on and input what ever I want without having a huge checklist.

SO no plasma can do this then?

Is plasma a flawed technology?
Is plasma burnin any different than crt burnin?

See my above post.
My experience is CRT's don't need burn-in.
Plasma's just need a bit of thinking about.
99.9% of the time it's not a problem.
I hardly think taking precautions for the first few hundred hours (I personally don't think 200 hrs is enough) is a major problem or represents a flawed technology.
I recommended the 7200 to a friend. He duly bought one :smashin:
He has a 3 year old girl.
Guess what channel is used the most??

CBeebies, with it's dreaded logo, that seems to cause more probs than any other :eek:
All against my advice (see my previous post).
And guess what???
No problem (yet) because I used an AVIA disc to set it up.
I know I harp on, but really can't emphasise proper set up enough.

You have a valid point there badger, but this whole episode has left me feeling quite disappointed.. I remember my mate calling me up himself before he bought the plasma, he had seen the advert on tele and waas asking me about whether he should go for this Hitachi or go for a better plasma from a good makee like Sony (still a popular brand, it seems :) ) and my suggestion was that from what i've seen the picture quality on the Hitachi plasmas are every bit as good as the Sony's , also Sony use the same (ALIS) panels as Hitachi... so my advice to him was go for the Hitachi 6600, because it is a bargain and it is also High Definition ready. I told him I was also looking to buy the same plasma and will order it this weekend, but have to delay my delivery for a month or so due to some home improvement.

Anyhow, I also advised him that it would be best to turn the settings down initially, and he enquired why this was necessary? and guess what I told him? :"Screen burn - but I assured him that its not that much of an issue as long as you put the settings down to less than 50% (brightness and contrast) and put it to "Normal" viewing mode rather than "Dynamic".. " and he did exactly that upon getting his 6600.

He called me up the following day to tell me that he had changed the settings to what I had told him and said the picture quality with these settings was just breathtaking, especially with DVDs it was superb. (I actually made a post about this in the Hitachi 6600 thread, re my mate's views on his new plasma).

But such was his and maybe my misfortune that even after following my advice, just 2 to 3 hrs of Zee TV a day (my mate and his mrs both work full time, so only watch tele for a few hrs in the evening during the week) for about 4 days, and he called me up on the Thursday evening telling me that his screen had a logo stuck on it... I told him it's probably just image retention and temporary, will fade away (relax, its normal with these things when they're new I told him) but then it seems the logo was there permanently.. I went over to his house on the weekend and saw it myself..

And after cancelling mine, now he's almost thinking that I used him as a 'guinea pig' to test out the new Hitachi plasmas.. :rolleyes: dont know whether to laugh or cry on this one ! , but his mrs told my mrs that he was going to get a good quality Sony plasma but I convinced him to go for a Hitachi because it was better, and now I've ended up cancelling mine too..

I tried assuring him that it was just unfortunate and must have been a faulty model but screen burn isn't that much of an issue with these new plasmas form what i'm aware - "If screen burn isn't an issue, mate" he says, why did you cancel yours ? lol and hmm.. on that point, I'm almost speechless..

I've got a 7500 - through which my mum watches a lot of ITV3 - with its fixed logo - even during ads - no retention problems, but that's after altering contrast/brightness as per "7200 picture settings thread".

As I reminded another thread Panasonic are quoting 1000hrs run in before screen is 100% safe from burn-in. (That's if your Panny plasma lasts that long - :rotfl: :rotfl: see problem threads on Pannies.)

Back to Hitachi's - Panel Life Extend modes ignore contrast setting and run panel conservatively to prevent burn-in or mitigate problems with burn-in.

Hitachi do hilight the issue in their manual, and include a pink slip on retained images - recommending screen area use be maximised (no black bars/zoom).

I do think that they ought to replace panels if some customers are unfortunate with the panel they receive ; plus they should ship in Panel Life extend mode - which should only be released into normal mode once the necessary hours have elapsed.

Do other plasma brands hilight the issue or wash their hands of the customer as soon as the panel goes tits up?

Good points :smashin:

Why manufacturers ship screens in a stupid setting, I don't know.

Majid, tell your mate to complain, you never know!!!

Tell him to quote this site and tell them he followed the advice.

Stanleyntl, hit extend 1 and it definitely UPS the contrast, IMO.
But who am I to argue with Hitachi???

I think the processing is pooh, full stop.

Badger,

If a screen gets burn in Panel Life extend mode Hitachi can't really argue about a replacement panel- just following their recommendations.... :thumbsup:

Majid Khan said:
I suppose it might well be that during the run in period you should avoid all channels with logos/static images altogether and then once it settles down, screen burn is no longer an issue.. because it seems most accounts of screen burn that i've read happen with ppl who have bought new plasmas.. and it happens within days.

I think this view is spot on - all the ppl i know who have had screenburn issues get it within the first few weeks

Incidentally (see a screenburn thread which I posted this on about 3 weeks ago when I was really concerned) my local comet pumped out the same high def footage on a Panasonic, Pioneer and Hitachi and the sales rep said only the hitachi got screenburn and they were particular sensitive to it

I'm going to run my panny 42pe50 in properly for the first 200 hrs on a dvd looped so no static logos etc are shown - for the money you spend i don't understand why people risk not doing this - Panny's manual tells you to do this...

..this is the same as if a car manual says don't go over 30mph in second for the first 500 miles and you do so and something happened you can't blame the car - you have to blame yourself for not following the instructions

Guys, The problem here for all Plasma screens irrelevant of manufacturer (to some extent or other) is the damn screen logos that TV companies think are so essential!
Our best protection is to let them know how we feel and insist that they are removed. All you need to do to protect your screens is to sign the petition! See
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243634&highlight=screen+logos

I've had my 7200 since Monday and haven't seen the slightest hint of any retention yet, let alone actual burn. Even after a couple of hours on the sci fi channel viewing by the mrs, I turn over and can't see a hint of the logo. The settings are about 0 or a little under for brightenss and contrast. I've watched movies with black bars, 4:3 images and other channels with logos but all in moderation.

The problem I am having is not one of image retention but one of no image at all. On Friday night the TV decided to turn itself off and wouldn't come back on. Pressing standby on the remote allowed me to turn the power light from red to green and back again but there was no reassuring click that occurs when the panel powers up. Turning the power switch off for about 10 minutes and then turning it back on restored the tv to operation. Unfortunately this happened again yesterday and twice today :( .

Other than that, I have been delighted with the set. I will be calling my dealer first thing in the morning.

Anyone know my legal rights regarding replacements and refunds?

Just to recap.

If I buy a plasma and for the first 200 hrs, keep the contrast and brightness down then after that period I can use the tv just like any crt.

SO after this period burn-in will not ocur?

ALIS is more prone to burnin?

I'm scared of buying a plasma, may have to go the LCD way.

I want 42". I watch a lot of logo channels like the sci-fi channel and $ky 1.

How can they tell you not to watch channels with logos if that is what you are buying the tv for in the first place. It's a fact that channels have logos.

Am I correct in thinking that if I watch the sci-fi channel for a few hrs then switch over 'cause stargate is starting on $ky1 that I can't watch it because I've had the tv on a logo channel for too long?

I don't want a tv that dictates what I watch. I wanna control the tv, not let it control me.

marty2005 said:
Just to recap.

If I buy a plasma and for the first 200 hrs, keep the contrast and brightness down then after that period I can use the tv just like any crt.

SO after this period burn-in will not ocur?

ALIS is more prone to burnin?

I'm scared of buying a plasma, may have to go the LCD way.

I want 42". I watch a lot of logo channels like the sci-fi channel and $ky 1.

How can they tell you not to watch channels with logos if that is what you are buying the tv for in the first place. It's a fact that channels have logos.

Am I correct in thinking that if I watch the sci-fi channel for a few hrs then switch over 'cause stargate is starting on $ky1 that I can't watch it because I've had the tv on a logo channel for too long?

I don't want a tv that dictates what I watch. I wanna control the tv, not let it control me.

On a panny the first 200hrs dictate what you watch, after that its the wife that dicates :D

Watching channel A with a logo and then switching to channel B with a different logo is fine. The problem is having the same logo in the same place for too long.

bishman said:
Anyone know my legal rights regarding replacements and refunds?
I was just asking in case it became necessary but have spoken to the retailer and they have said that they will sort a replacement ASAP.

Can we bury the hatchett on the magic "200" hrs? Panasonic's own technical papers specify 1000hrs before a plasma behaves as robustly as a std CRT set.
At which point screen wipes etc remove retained images without any problem.

Some people may just be unlucky if burn occurs despite lowering picture settings - maybe not all panel batches are identical, only "within manufactures tolerance". So that some of us get burnt and some of us don't.
The manufacturer or dealer would do well to replace sets for the handful of unfortunate customers.

stanleyntl said:
Can we bury the hatchett on the magic "200" hrs? Panasonic's own technical papers specify 1000hrs before a plasma behaves as robustly as a std CRT set.
At which point screen wipes etc remove retained images without any problem.

Some people may just be unlucky if burn occurs despite lowering picture settings - maybe not all panel batches are identical, only "within manufactures tolerance". So that some of us get burnt and some of us don't.
The manufacturer or dealer would do well to replace sets for the handful of unfortunate customers.

Would love to bury the hatchet on this...

Which panny was that relating too? Other people who have panny's on avforum have said the manual refers to 200hrs?

This also backs that theory up...
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...-burnin.html+200+hours+panasonic+plasma&hl=en

Here's the link to the Panasonic white paper date Nov 2004 :
white paper .

Probably wouldn't tell you the full SP in any manual. :lesson:

This is straight from the horse's mouth - independant sites may take a different view - is it worth the risk not taking Panny's advice? :eek:

stanleyntl said:
Here's the link to the Panasonic white paper date Nov 2004 :
white paper .

Probably wouldn't tell you the full SP in any manual. :lesson:

This is straight from the horse's mouth - independant sites may take a different view - is it worth the risk not taking Panny's advice? :eek:

mmm...thank you for this but I really do think you need to give the full context - heres my take :lesson:

Firstly I should say they are talking about ALL plasmas as it is an inclusive study, except where they explictly state.

"Panasonic has developed new phosphors that are resistant to image burn and has added other features to minimise the occurance"

So in my view buy a panny if you want to avoid image retention for definate and follow the manual instructions

As for the 1000hrs I do think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - this is not a recommendation but merely quotes from what "videophiles recommend" back in 2004 - prevailing thought from videophiles now appears to be 200hrs-

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom