Hitachi 42PD6600 recall or not?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Woziak, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Woziak

Woziak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I read in several threads rumors about Hitachi doing a recall of all 6600's due to reliability problems.

Is anyone able to confirm this with an official statement of Hitachi Europe?

It would be nice to know for sure for us 6600 owners... :)

2. Accylad

Accylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I hope they don't - mine is just about "run in" and I am really pleased with the picture. Must admit the sound is not the best I have heard but I use my surround sound speakers so it isn't a problem

3. Accylad

Accylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I have emailed Hitachi asking for the latest information regarding possible recall

I will post their reply here when/if I get one

4. dan77

dan77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have an engineer due to come and give mine it's last rites on Friday. I am hoping for an upgrade.

Interested to hear what Hitachi have to say.

5. Accylad

Accylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Reply from Hitachi is

"This unit has not been recalled, if it had their would be notices in the press, retail stores and our web site advising customers to contact us."

The question I asked was if the TV was GOING to be recalled not if it already had been. I guess I am not going to get an answer to that :)

6. dan77

dan77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I phoned Hitachi UK HQ and was put through to the UK Customer Line who confirmed that there is currently no official announcements on their system of an imminent product recall for the 6600.

I am guessing that I hardly spoke to their most senior member of staff though so whether this is 100% true I can't say.

EDIT - should have refreshed the page - doh!

7. Woziak

Woziak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thnx Accylad...
    I guess that settles it concerning the recall rumor, unless someone has access to some inside info... :cool:

8. jwa1979

jwa1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anyone ever remember a manufacturer running a recall for an AV product?

Call me a cynic but I doubt they would bother unless the product to be recalled is very very dangerous as the cost of a recall would be so high (much less than the cost of losing a little business from a few disgruntled customers).

From what I can see most of the 6600 recall rumours come from threads where a salesman has advised a customer against the (cheaper) 6600 only to recommend the (more expensive) 7200/7500. Go figure.

9. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I had a CRT tv recalled once, part of the circuit board was rubbing on the chassis causing a weak power connection and could have caused a fire:eek:

10. Woziak

Woziak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You've got a point there. Who's to gain from selling all those more expensive Hitachies... ;)

11. Cheezy_Chip

Cheezy_Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a 6600 for three months and was really happy with it. About a month ago it went pop so it had to be taken away to be repaired. About a week later I was told that it had to go back to Hitachi and I should go back to Richer Sounds and pick a replacement. To cut a long story short I went for the 7200. The manager of the store then told me that the Hitachi had agreed to take back all of their 6600's as they are worried about tarnishing their reputation with these units as many had developed faults. The manager also told me that these models in fact were not 'real' Hitachi's as they had been made in Turkey and been badged up as Hitachi. I'm no expert and I am just passing on what the guy in the shop told me. Just wondered if anyone here could back that up?

12. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    About a month ago my company was going to buy a 6600 for a meeting room. Our supplier (who we have used for over 20 years) said she couldn't get hold of one at the time cause there were none in the country and Hitachi were about to do a recall. It sounds like some people are being told there is a recall of this model and others aren't? :confused: I don't know. I may be wrong here.

Because of this information, she refused to sell it to us and we ended up spending a little more and buying the LG 42PX5D

13. Woziak

Woziak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's getting cloudy again... Where are those retailers getting their facts from?

Still waiting for some facts i guess...

14. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Speaking as someone who owned 2 6600's before upgrading to the 7200 I can assure you the salesmen are not just recommending the 7200/7500 for the money.

There is no comparison between the 6600 and 7200/7500 in terms of picture or build quality. I tried to convince myself that the 6600 was ok, but the truth is that it is a sub-standard set (IMO). I'm pleased to hear that some of you are happy with the 6600. Maybe I was just one of the unlucky majority who thaought they were awful.

For anyone thinking of buying a 6600 my advice would be to save up for a good quality set like the 7200.

15. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    OllyH is right:smashin: