Hitachi 42PD6600 - Potential Alternatives

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dan77, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dan77

dan77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone,

My Hitachi 42PD6600 was returned to me by Mastercare today after they had supposedly resolved the problem with it retaining the image and channel settings.

In short, they didn't :mad: and not only does the problem still exist, they managed to scratch the stand and the bezel around the screen :(

Anyway, it is now booked in and the Mastercare call centre person says that I should be looking at a replacement or refund.

I looked on the Currys website and they are no longer listing the 6600 for sale, I got it in the January sales and it looks like I've been sold a lemon therefore I'm not keen on another one anyway.

Can anyone recommend an alternative from the current Currys line up that a) has similar number of inputs including HDMI and b) is in the same price range that I paid (£1299) and c) is not plagued by problems as the 6600 seems to be :(

Thanks,
    Dan.

PS - Would be nice to have a brand where all of the Sky remote buttons work which I find so annoying with the Hitachi.

2. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    The Hitachi 42PD7200 will answer your every need!! it is a totaly different animal to the 6600 believe me I have had both. Maybe a few quid more but will be worth it in the long run.

3. Nottman

Nottman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm repeating myself here, having said the same thing on another thread, but Currys swapped my 6600 for a 7200 when it couldn't be fixed - with no price adjustment - and someone else has just said Hitachi are going to recall ALL the 6600s due to reliability issues. There is absolutely no comparison between the 7200 and 6600 - go for it!

4. dan77

dan77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi - how did you go about getting the upgrade to the 7200 then? I am going to go into the store tomorrow to discuss.

I guess they don't actually sell the 6600 any more?

5. dan77

dan77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bump, I went into store today and they are sending another engineer on Friday to call time on my 6600 and then they will swap it for a brand new one in store.

I really would like the 7200 but the instore price was around 1800. Did you just ask for the next model up?

I already rang the store and they only have a display 6600 but with all this talk of an imminent recall and the problems I've had I don't want another one!

6. windie

windie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Dan77,

I have just been through this myself, if you are dealing with mastercare for all of this then you get vouchers from mastercare and take them into store and exchange them for a new screen.

I also go them to price match the web price for the 7200. They wouldn't budge of the free delivery tho:rolleyes:

Good luck

7. Nottman

Nottman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dan77,

I simply took the receipt into my local store as requested where the manager was expecting me. I pointed out that as I'd ordered on the internet, I would expect to get a replacement at web price rather than in-store. I pointed out I'd like the 7200 and he checked the current web price for me; it had just dropped to £1511 that day, virtually the same as the £1499 - less £100 coupon discount - I'd paid for the 6600, so that saved me a bit of haggling. He then said he'd make a few phone calls to the appropriate people and call me at work the next day, which he did, telling me I could expect another call soon from their web people to confirm the replacement. The call came as I put the phone down, and I was told the head office would ring within the next 3 working days to arrange delivery - with no price adjustment - which they duly did. All very smooth, surprisingly. Good luck!

8. dan77

dan77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I got my 6600 in the Jan sales for £1299 (starting to realise why they were so cheap now).

I need to find something around that value as I don't really want to plough in any more money to honest.

Will check out the web price of 7200 on the day though.

Thanks for the replies.

9. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,223
    Dan: Check around and you can now get the 7200 for about £1350. If you can get your £1300 back then another £50 would secure you a great deal. After the 7200, there really isn't anything that comes close this side of £1700 IMO. Good luck mate.

10. smanaton

smanaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    hi chaps, i have the 6600 brought from currys in the sale (1299) i have only had a couple of problems, it turned itself off one day and never came back up, 5 days for an engineer and then it worked when he turned it on!!! i had checked it numerous times in the 5 days, the other problem is screen burn, its seems to happen very easily, paying a game for an hour with say a dial in the corner and it burns into the screen, it does work its way out but takes a while! i never got the extended warranty so i guess unless they recall i'm stuck with it??

11. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,223
    smanaton: You look to be in exactly the same situation as Dan. Go back to the store and push hard for a another model replacement (ie the 7200). There isnt much difference in price at the minute but the last stocks of the 7200 are being snapped up fast and there may not be any left in a couple of weeks. Good luck.

12. Woziak

Woziak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If it goes away it's called image retention... Screen burn is permanent!

13. smanaton

smanaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    thanks, starting to worries that it could turn permenant!