Hitachi 42PD6600 Post delivery & Setting Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plop 90

When did you place your order? I ordered mine on Sunday and live in Swindon, got the dreaded no stock e-mail last night.

I placed my order on Tuesday morning (day 6 of the 6 day sale).

As to why I am going to get mine and you are not, I can think of 3 possible reasons...

1) Could be down to regional location in the UK
2) Could be that the complaints they have started to receive from avforums members have made them rethink their order cancelling ways (if that is the case then I am eternally grateful to everyone who has emailed them)
3) Could just be that Currys decline some and accept others. I was just lucky

Alternatively, they could still cancel my order and refund me the money, although I would keep the £69.99 from linemypockets which is processing right now. Seems (hopefully) unlikely though.

Good luck to all you guys who haven't heard from them yet...

- Nick

Hi all

I'm a new member :hiya: to the forum. I ordered my 6600 from my local Currrys last Saturday, and it's due to be delivered tomorrow (Sat) morning, Can't wait.

I had been dithering about buying a plasma for a couple of months and had finally decided to go for the Samsung but no body had it available. Then a long came this Hitachi offer and after a very impressive demo bought one immediately.

I'll post again tomorrow and let you know how it's going :clap:

Could anyone post an picture of the screen in daylight? I haven't seen any other pictures then from Hitachi's internet site

Thnx,

Jeffrey

Awaiting confirmation of mine.

In the meantime, can someone give me the measurements of the unit please?

Overall W X H - not bothered about the depth, just want to see exactly on the wall I will put it (if I get it :eek: )

Thanks

Zorro
From the Currys Website:
Weight Not Specified
Height (exc Stand) 728 mm
Width (exc stand) 1046 mm
Depth (exc stand) 97 mm
RR

:oops:

never noticed that :rolleyes:

Thanks

Any feedback on the Ferg'son dvd recorder that came as part of the 6600 package?

I've just got back home 2 hours ago after a 4 day break up north. I'm the chap who initially started this thread as I had ordered the 6600 on Sunday night. Whilst I was away I was able to check my email (wish I had'nt)... I am one of those unfortuanate people who have received an email from Currys (B**tard's) stating that my order would not be processed due no stock availibility. I am totally disgusted and peeved off with Currys. I even gave them a call as it states in the email to discuss an alternative product (which I did'nt want to consider). I gave the woman on the other end of the phone a right mouthfull and piece of my mind. BTW do Currys/Dixons group out source their call centers abroad to places like like India? I'm don't mean to be a snob or prejudistic (I am an asian) but the call did sound "distant" and the lady had a typical "ohhh dearrrry me" Indian accent :D Anyway I was pis*ed off that they could not keep my order on hold until the plasma was in stock again even though I was willing to wait upto 5 weeks and also as I had placed my order on the 4th day of the 6 day deal. she was'nt having any of it. I was told that I would have to re-order and pay the current price of £1999. As a goodwill gesture she would waive the delivery charge... which is a load of boll**ks. Personally I feel it is a conspiracy against me as I used all promotion vouchers to get £100 off and free delivery. I am now thinking of my second option plasma which is a LG . :rolleyes:

AZZY

Complain to Currys mate, see the other thread "Hitachi 42PD6600 What?" post 339 for details. The more of us that complain the better the chances of Currys doing something about it!

I'm gutted for you guys. Isn't that just typical of currys tho? Thats all they care about is getting they're quota, nothing else! The more that complain the better, thats definately right! Mine hasn't turned up yet and until its on my doorstep I'll have doubts. Azzy, Vince, you stick in there and give 'em grief!! I reckon we should keep the 6600 thread going.

Vince31, Just read your detailed post on the other thread... nice one mate! seems like you've been through exactly what I have experienced. No doubt I will be using your template especially as you've done all the work, just a matter of copy n paste.
Cheers once again. :smashin:

The other LG plasma i'm considering is non HD but it has a HDMI connection... High Definition Multimedia Interface. Could someone please tell me what this actually is. My evalutuion is that you can connect high definition gadgets to it like a HD DVD palyer and a sky HD Digital receiver... but what is the point of that if it cannot display in HD Res? or is this a way of achieving HD display by this alternative method? :confused: The other screen is the LG 42PX3RV which at the moment is available from Currys.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Did I mention that I got mines yesterday, and its well good.

Looks like he who did not dither got the goods.

:D :D :D :D :D

Thats me all done now

Byeeeeeeeeeee.... :hiya:

Like the cat that got the cream, or did he...................... :D

<smug mode>
I ordered mine at 9:00 onthe first morning having seen it in the shop on the Thursday night before. It arrived at 7:15 on Bank Holiday Monday. From what I gathered on The Thursday there were initially only 49 available, I got the third one, my mate got the second one from the website, as I say mine arrived on the 1st, his comes tomorrow!
...and it cost him more for delivery.

>smug mode<
I then read the book for 2hrs till my neighbour woke up so we could get it on the stand.
I'm happy, you will be too when you get it.
More to the point, lets get a few settings posted, hopefully from people with better eyesight and knowledge than me.

I received the same two emails that plop90 did (message #73). I too live in the Bristol area. I only ordered online at about 9pm on Tuesday evening, just before the 6 day sale ended, so I'd been expecting the "Dear John" email instead. Time will tell if the thing ever actually arrives.

azzy129 said:
The other LG plasma i'm considering is non HD but it has a HDMI connection... High Definition Multimedia Interface. Could someone please tell me what this actually is. My evalutuion is that you can connect high definition gadgets to it like a HD DVD palyer and a sky HD Digital receiver... but what is the point of that if it cannot display in HD Res? or is this a way of achieving HD display by this alternative method? :confused: The other screen is the LG 42PX3RV which at the moment is available from Currys.
Hi azzy Im sorry to hear about your TV, I think it's bad news that Currys just stopped your order dead like that. Yes HDMI is one method of delivering HD pics but the set must be HD ready or it simply wont show HD no matter what the source is pumping out. HDMI like DVI means the digital picture stays that way with no need to convert to analogue such as component (which is also capable of showing HD pics btw) has to. The other big advantage of HDMI is that the one lead is also able to carry full discrete surround sound (if u have an amp with HDMI connection of course) as well as normal sound direct to the tv, which sure cuts down on leads compared to component (which do not carry any sound signals at all). Im sure no technical expert and others on the forum are much better than me but I think thats a fair run down of what the connection does :)

BTW for those who've had the 6600, what is the sound quality like ? it seems to have a virtual surround sound mode, (Matrix) , anyone tried it out yet? I'm not too keen on getting a multi channel surround sound system and would prefer a good stereo sound set up - but if the sound quality on the 6600 is good enough I guess that'll do for me, otherwise Im looking at possibly buying a a good stereo amplifier, a sub and a pair of floorstanders...

Incidentally, i've noticed that a lot of the pics of plasmas posted on here, seem to be hooked up with floor stander speakers, what is the sound quality like on these compared with say a Sony home cinema kit with those smallish speakers.. ?

for what its worth Majid Ive got the Panasonic 42pv500 and its the best sound Ive ever heard from a tv...very deep and powerful, I hope the 6600 is close cos then u wont need the extra set up u are talking about

It seems odd, just looking at the Hitachi web site.. the 5200 and the 7200 both have built in 1 bit digital amp, and speakers with 12x2 watts output.

The 6600 spec doesn't mention any amp, and speakers output 10x2 watts.

But its also wierd that Currys on their website say its 12x2 watts output and had the 6600 ad on their front page, complimenting its "explosive sound".. oh well, then again Currys also said it boasted "picture master" processing :)

Heaven knows what's next - perhaps we'll have Currys promoting the Pioneer 436 , claiming its the first plasma in the world which boasts a built in digital coffee maker and HD-Ready sandwich toaster with two HDMI inputs!! :D

Thanx for your explanation of HDMI Lionheart. I am now in limbo as my currys order has fallen through for the 6600 :rolleyes: . My Mrs is saying it's a blessing in disguise as we could probably wait till Christmas and further HD models would be available at competitive prices... who know's may be the 7200?? there's also the new LG 42PX5D to look out for in the up and coming weeks. It's is HD ready and looks quite impressive on the LG (UK) website and has good spec's.

azzy, if your looking at the LGs.. the LG42PY10x is pretty impressive.. I had a demo of it at Comet a few weeks back and the picture quality was top class.. its also HD-Ready, my only reluctance to go with LG was reports of their screens being quite prone to screen burn / image retention.. or otherwise the 42PY10X was a quality screen - I know superpixel (one of the more knowledgable and well informed posters on this board) rates its very highly, among the best plasmas he's seen with SD sources..

azzy129 said:
Thanx for your explanation of HDMI Lionheart. I am now in limbo as my currys order has fallen through for the 6600 :rolleyes: . My Mrs is saying it's a blessing in disguise as we could probably wait till Christmas and further HD models would be available at competitive prices... who know's may be the 7200?? there's also the new LG 42PX5D to look out for in the up and coming weeks. It's is HD ready and looks quite impressive on the LG (UK) website and has good spec's.

She's probably right - though I must admit once you build yourself up for the purchase, it's difficult to let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom