hitachi 42pd6600, hitachi 42pd7200 or samsung PS42S5HX

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by The Atheist, Mar 23, 2006.

1. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Just wondered if any of you have any advice on which of these Plasma displays to get. I have seen them all around the £1100 - £1300 price range but the 6600 is being sold on ebay for around £900.

Personally i am inclined to go with the samsung, primarily for the solid brand, but i have seen some very good reviews for the hitachi 42pd7200, but it is a bit more expensive. Would it be worth the extra expense? Is the hitachi 42pd6600 in the same league as the other two? Would the lower price make it worthwhile?

In a nutshell, which offers the best money/performance deal?

Thanks in advance

2. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    :thumbsup: Definitely the 42PD7200 from your given choice :D

You can consider the new Panny 42PX60 but it si a bit more expensive than the 7200

Cheerz :hiya:

3. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Have to agree with Camorra.

I saw all of them in action yesterday and 7200 is definately the best. I was originally going to get a Sagem DLP rear pro until I saw this. I thought the new panny had a very similar picture but looked very cheap compared to the 7200.

Both the 6600 and the Samsung didn't come close to how good the 7200 was. I've seen it going for a round the £1400 mark on the web. The 7200 is worth the extra outlay, a massive improvement over the 6600.

It's made me change my mind over a rear pro.

4. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    Agreed. Although the 7200 is coming to the end of its run, it is still a popular and high performing TV and gives its main opposition (pioneer and panasonic) a good run for their money in terms of performance and value. There are many contributors to this site who extoll the virtues of this TV and If you have a look at recent thread "HITACHI 42PD7200 OR SAMSUNG PS-42P5H" you will see that at least 3 of us bought the 7200 yesterday. :)

5. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Cheers for ur view guys, much appreciated.

For arguments sake though if it were between the hitachi 42pd6600 or the samsung PS42S5HX (forgetting about the 7200 for now) which would be the one to go for? I can get the 6600 quite a bit cheaper than the samsung but will i be compromising performance or r they pretty similar in that respect anyway? Which would be best at non-HD signals?

Thanks again.

6. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    After seeing them yesterday. I reckon the 6600 is better than the Samsung picture wise, both hd and sd. Don't know how it is in terms of reliability though.

7. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    Amar is right. There are a lot of threads concerning the 6600 and many are about a lack of reliability and niggly problems with it. A lot of these people have exchanged or upgraded to the 7200 and report a big difference in build and picture quality between the two.

8. OllyH

OllyH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Experience has taught me to stay well clear of the 6600. Save up a bit more and go for the fantastic 7200:clap:

9. gilford

gilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I had the same problem as yourself just before xmas :)

After 2 weeks of going to Currys everyday and reading stuff on the net I decided on the HD Samsung. It is brilliant :):)

It does get some stick on here but I dont have any of the said problems with mine?

Make sure you go and see them all working, I got a mate of mine who works in Currys to put them all next to eachother just before they were closing and my thoughts, and 5 of the staffs, were that the Sammy was better not only for picture quality, but for looks also :)

Hope this helps!!

10. brettcra

brettcra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a 6600 and although its ok, I feel dark shaded scenes could be much better.(HD and SD) I am now going to order a 7200 and just hope I can sell the 6600(2 months old).

11. crezi

crezi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am going for the 7200.. Anyone know where the best deals are for these ? I want to wall mount this so do not need the swivel stand ? Ideally i want to get a Pm but not sure if JL do them ?

Anyone know ?:rolleyes:

12. brettcra

brettcra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. BAD-ASS

BAD-ASS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Whatever you do dont get the 6600! There is a long long post about it on the forum. Its a horrible panel. The 7200 is the best for the money

14. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    I agree with BadAss. Don't get the 6600. The 7200 is knocking around at about £1400 at the moment so its a no brainer.

15. The Atheist

The Atheist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I've just found out (through Richer Sounds) that hitachi are due to recall all of the 6600s due to reliability issues, even ones that have already been repaired!! So don't be too hastey in replacing yours u might get a cheap upgrade to the 7200.

I'm tempted by the samsung, but i'm gonna wait a couple of weeks and see if prices alter due to iminent new models. Comet are due to get new philips panels in, Richer Sounds are getting new hitachi models.

Cheers for all the help, i'll update the thread with what i eventually go for.

16. crezi

crezi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the 7200 at £1406 - Just trying to get JL to PM, fingers crossed.. anyone know anywhere cheaper ?

17. lui

lui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any luck in getting JL to PM? am looking at getting same TV...

18. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just bought this screen from Richer Sounds....

JL do not sell the 7200, but have 100's of 7500's in stock which they will pm on, providing the retailer has them in physical stock and is not a web store.

RS were advertising the 7500 on their website for £1600 which I tried to get JL to pm, but when they called to check, RS said they had none left and no plans to get any more.... :thumbsdow

19. renibacterium

renibacterium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this recall apply to all Hitachi 6600's regardless of where you might have bought it? Anyone out there confirm this or know anything official about this?

Thanks

Renibacterium