1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5300 vs Panasonic42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mjbarnard, Oct 23, 2004.

1. mjbarnard

mjbarnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have searched and researched this choice on web, this forum and magazines. Clearly there are different opinions.

Requirements are :
    Replacement for CRT in family living room. Only connections will be Sky+ and Sony DAV DVD. Not worried about other connectivity, or future proofing (HDTV etc) beyond 2 years. Primary concern is Picture Quality. Second concern is PQ with sky digital input (main use). Final concern is reliability and support.

I have seen suggestions that Hitachi PQ is very good - but less good with lower quality inputs. Also potential problems with reliability/faults, and above average level of buzzing.

I am veering towards the Hitachi on the basis of perceived equal quality, better resolution and lower cost. However my questions are :

1) Any views on relative picture quality?

2) Views on relative picture quality with SCART digital tv input?

3) Are Hitachis more prone to faults as suggested by some posters?

4) Is buzzing a problem with everyday family viewing?

Thanks in advance

Matthew

2. smurch1

smurch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in very much the same predicament as yourself. I bought the 42PD5300 in the end but had also shortlisted the Pannasonic pw6.

My honest opinion: Buzzing is not an issue with my panel. Picture Quality is excellent from DVD (component prog scan) and ps2. Sky could be better, some solarization occasionally, but still very watchable. I have had no reliability issues.

In hindsight: I would still go for the Hitachi, but would get the 5200. I believe this has more tweaks with colour settings etc which should give you more control over Sky picture quality. If you already have sky the seperate AV box on the 5300 is not needed, plus its quite a chunky unit.(but it does give more connectivity). I think the styling on the hitachi's is much sexier!!!!.

I know alot of users on this forum sway the panny way and no doubt they have good reasons too. It all comes down to what your eyes see when you compare your choices..............good luck.

Si.

3. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I was in same situation deciding if go for a pana or the hitachi and after reading abit about them and looking i bought the 42pd5200 which is a great tv but watching tv through non digital like ariel isnt much good thats only bad points i can think of on mine.
    Game consoles,sky+ and dvd all look great on it :D

4. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The analog picture on my Hitachi is much improved by using a signal booster.

5. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    That may well be my problem ive got my ariel extended another 10 metre standard lead on it ...and no booster :rolleyes:
    But i just watch through sky+ :laugh:
    Ive never heard any of the buzzing that has been mentioned even if tv is turned really low i hear no buzzing sound.

6. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought a 42PD5200 recently having narrowed down to a PW6 or a PDP43.

For the price, the Hitachi overall package was too good to pass. As everyone says, low quality analogue signal can look pretty poor, as can some heavily compressed Sky channels. But then, these looked pretty poor on all the plasmas I saw, so I believe no plasma handles low quality signals very well.

Very pleased with my Hitachi. 42in Xbox is nice... :thumbsup:

7. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought me 42PD5300 via JL to getthe warranty about 6 months ago, and am very pleased. DVD looks fantastic and even a analouge signal looks good, i have freeview and don't even use it. The reasons why we went for the Hitachi over the Panny was style, reviews and the distance the panny sticks off the wall if you wall mount is excessive.

8. mjbarnard

mjbarnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I understand there are different opinions - and ultimately I am going to have to choose based on eyeballing the displays. It is certainly reassuring to hear the comments from satisfied Hitachi owners.

jpd2 - can I ask where you price matched JL to? A

9. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was my post back in march, which gives all the details, but prices will have gone down now

For info JL did a pricematch on a company in Bradford called Electro Saver 0800 6987 654, they don't seem to be on the net but advertise on a full page spread in What Video & Wide screen TV.

It was not all plain sailing as this company and PRC quoted different prices on my orginal call, but when JL called was slightly dearer. But I am pleased with this deal including the 5 year warranty and Hitachi free portable DVD player. JL price £3295 down to £2699, the cheapest I have been able to find was PRC direct at £2589, but this was only via the net (£50 + del dearer in store) with 1 year warranty.

good luck

10. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PRCDirect.co.uk have the 5300 for £2199 inc delivery. They have a shop in Forest Gate, at least that's where I bought my Sony VW11 from a few years back.

Another place is Sound and Vision, based in Bolton I think. I price matched with JL a few years ago when buying my 32" Wega.

There were a couple of threads about places JL will match with.

I'm off to JL in Oxford Street tomorrow to have a look what's on display. Still going round in circles, not made a decision.... Hitachi, Panasonic or Sony !

11. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I know exactly what you mean, as I have now seen the...

Panasonic 42PWD6, Panasonic TH42PE20, Panasonic TH42PE30, Pioneer 43???, Pioneer 504HDE, Hitachi 42PD5300, Fujitsu P42HHA30, Sony KDEP42XS1, Sony KEP42M1, Philips 42PF9966 + some of the cheapo Techwood's & LG's.

... whew ...

So far I've found the Fujitsu & Philips screens to be the nicest PQ & these have been side by side with the PWD6 (all with direct feed from DVD, not fuzzy distributed signal).

I did like the brightness of the Sony KDEP42 but there seemed to be just a few too many artifacts.

The panel I've seen the most has been the PWD6 - but it just seems to be too grainy when sat next to the Philips & Fujitsu.

12. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,560
    JPD2

Interested in your comments about how far the Panny sticks out from the wall.

I haven't bought yet but had decided on the Panny PW7. The asthetics (sp!) of the wall mounted plasma are important to me - I want a simple 'picture frame' look so its important that my choice doesn't have speakers and is mounted as flat and close to the wall as possible.

If I use low profile, non-tilt mounts how to the Panny and Hitachi compare in terms of how close (flush) they are to the wall ?

I had assumed that they would be about the same.

Cheers,

Nigel

13. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nheather

I don't know about the pw7 but would assume it will resonable flush fitting like the pw6. My comment was aimed at the PE30 that has the curved bit on the bottom and a bracket that sticks off the wall if I remember correctly 90mm.