1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HITACHI 42PD5300 or 42PD5200 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by finden, Nov 14, 2004.

1. finden

finden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HITACHI 42PD5300 or 42PD5200....which one is the better plasma for using with SKY+ and playing dvd's.
    I have heard the 5200 is Hi def ready but the newer 5300 has a lower generation media box so isnt hi def.As i intend on having this plasma for some time i want it to be future ready.If i went for the 5300 could i just replace the media box at a later date ?
    I have also heard that the picture quality can sometimes be questionable...would this be true using Sky+ too ?

Any ideas would be welcome

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    AFAIK, the 5200 doesn't come with a media box, all connections are made directly to the screen whereas the 5300 (which I own) has the media box so there is only the DVI connection to the screen.

The 5200 can take a hidef signal wheres the 5300, due to the media box, cannot nor is there an upgrade to make it take the hidef signal. The 5300 can take a handle 720p and 1080i if fed from a PC via the VGA port.

As for picture quaility, it's generally pretty good with Sky but, as with all plasmas a lot depends on the bitrate of the channel although it does seem to do a pretty good job with most.

HTH

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you can use the 5300 without the box, to use the DVI in. The box also seems to add a sequential scan facility too. There is a composite input too - I think this may also handle hi-def ? The bottom line is that it's a 1024 x 1024 display, and it ain't gonna get any more hi-def than that :D

4. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Any true HD panels will be "more" hi def than your mentioned panel. That panel is essentially a 1024x512 panel

Alex

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The 5300 needs the media box - as well as the DVI cable, another cable connects the panel and the box and this cable is used for the IR control. Although the IR sensor is on the screen, the media box responds to the IR control - I've just unplugged the lead on mine and it no longer responds to IR control.

John

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    guli,

On reading my post again, I see that it could be read two different ways. What I meant to say was that the 5300 was only 1024 x 1024 after all, and there are better screens around for HDTV.

johndon,

thanks for that info. I had wondered if the 5300 could be used without the AV box - seems it can't :oops:

7. DeanL

DeanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the last batch of mags the Hitachi 5300 & 5200 come out really well.

A lot of people seem to knock the Hitachi and link the reviews to good advertiing revenue from Hitachi but these mag have no more advertising from Hitachi than the other main brand so dont think the mags would stoop this low?

I'm trying to decide between the 5300 and 5200 as these are around 2K now.

I like the thought of keeping the DVI free for direct DVD use or future HD signals but I wondered if the 5300 with the separate media box gives a better PQ for sky use etc?

Just wondered why Hitachi bought the 5300 to market, it must have more enhancements than jut more connection?

Please can someone help with this as money is burning a hole in my pocket at the moment.

Many thanks Dean

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dean, I bought the 5300 over the 5200 for 2 reasons. One being that only one lead went to screen, so neater. 2) JL only dod the 5300 (not 5200) and I wanted the 5yr warranty. the PQ IMO is superb, at least as good as my friends Pio 434.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You need to realise that a lot (not all) of 'home cinema journalists' are fresh out of journalism courses, just getting their career going in the best, most fun job they could find. They are often young, and have no actual qualification or prior experience in AV, their skill is writing, which if they are seriously good they may one day do for a Sunday supplement magazine or some such. The review is only their opinion, and the plasma that's easiest to connect always does well, especially if it can make a reasonable job with composite video, cos that's what it's most likely to be fed. Before blowing your smoking money, go see a dealer with a few screens set up properly, choose the one you like best, and make sure he tells you how to make it look as good in your home.

10. DeanL

DeanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Maw.

I will visit a few AV shops and see how the screens look set up correctly, Her Indoors loved the look of the Hitachi (cosmetically) so made the purchase a little easier.

But I take your point and will check them all out before making a decision.

Does anyone know a good AV shop in Bristol / Gloucester area?

Many Thanks Dean

11. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good point MAW. The flip side is that there are a lot of people out there who just want a good looking telly with good PQ (not necessarily the absolute best) that is easy to hook up. The Hitachi falls into that camp, in general whilst it may not be the absolute best most people wont be dissapointed with the Hitachi as there is no doubting the picture qualtity is good.

12. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hitachi PD5200 looks like great value!
    Can a DVD player with HDMI output be fed into the DVI input in the plasma?
    Anyone tried it? How does it look?
    Failing that, how does a progressive scan DVD output via component look?
    Thanks,
    Dave

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Dave,

Even though the Hitachi is an ALIS panel and, therefore, interlaced, progressive scan via component looks fantastic. How fantastic depends on the DVD player - I went from a Yamaha S540 outputting PAL progressive to an Arcam DV79 outputting the same and the difference was startling.

John

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Digital link up is still hit or miss, you won't know the specifics unless you buy exactly the same player as someone whose setup works.
    Progressive scan, John have you done back to back interlaced and progressive comparisons? Not axe grinding here, as you now have a top DVD player it would be fascinating to know. Cheap prog scan players have processing nowhere near as good as the makers put in half decent plasmas. Whatever screen you have, you are likely to be at least as good, if not better, with interlaced if your player is cheap. If you have a high end player, clearly the other way about.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a 5300 on order, which should be here next week. I have several peripherals which I plan to connect - a "cheap and cheerful" DVD player (Ellion) which will be connected component/progressive scan, an Asus Digimatrix PC which will be connected via the PC input, a Sky+ box which will be connected RGB Scart, a Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-E50) connected via S-Video. I also have a Yamaha RX-V640RDS cinema amp and an elderly (chipped) Toshiba DVD player to connect up somehow too :suicide:

I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    MAW,

I haven't tested the Arcam yet but I did do it with the Yamaha and the results were better with progressive switched on although for some reason, in progressive mode, it lost about half an inch of the image from the top and bottom of the screen.

I'll try and do a test of the Arcam in the next couple of days.

John

17. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well, I tested with the Arcam last night and let my wife decide wether the picture was better with progressive scan switched on or off (she has no idea what progressive scan means and therefore wouldn't know which was supposed to be better and she also has better eyesight than me).

I tested it with a copy of Shrek and Terminator 3 (both region 2) - with both, she thought the picture with progressive scan OFF was better and, to quote, 'had more detail'.

The progressive scan picture still looks fantastic but I guess this backs up the fact that there's little to be gained by running an ALIS panel in progressive (at least with a godd DVD player anyway)

John