1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5300 in the US

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StevieT, Sep 21, 2005.

1. StevieT

StevieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. I've come across this site and it looks really useful. I've got bit of a problem with my perfect Hitachi 42PD5300 Plasma. Basically I've moved over to the US and I brought it with me. Hitachi Support said it would work and that I needed a new tuner. I had the cable people in trying to connect it to a Comcast tune but to no avail - in that the TV didn't even come on. Now I'm stuck with cable I can't watch and a beatiful ornament..

Any help would be very much appreciated and I'd happily buy anyone a beer when they're in the Boston area...

Many thanks.
    Steve

2. vince31

vince31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I assume your DVD and PC are still working ok, how is your cable TV connected to the screen? dont think you have Scart connectors but maybe I'm wrong.

3. SwissTony

SwissTony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I recall correctly the 5300 has a multi-voltage power supply so I presume no problem there?
    Does it work via DVD player ie is the only problem the cable connection?

4. StevieT

StevieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Voltage wise we're okay - I checked with Hitachi Europe first. There are no scarts on the TV - I stupidly left the tuner at my mums in the UK thinking it will be useless - Do I need it????

One plan is to get a PC monitor cable and hook into the VGA port - test it against a laptop. If this works then I'll shop around for something that can take a PC type interface and a coxial point from the cable box and route through that. Is there anything on the market like that???

In terms of the cable all the TVs here (I've just bought one for the bedroom) have coxial cables points - unfortunately the Hitachi doesn't.

Thanks again.

Steve

5. StevieT

StevieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay - tested today by connecting my laptop up to the plasma. I bought a DVI-RGB connector to test it - taking the original lead supplied and plugging one end into the convertor/connector. I still get the flashing orange light on the plasma...

I'll try and dig out the instruction booklet but if anyone can help in anyway it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Steve

6. StevieT

StevieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if I actually need the Multimedia box that came with the plasma??? I'm thinking now - inspite of what I was told that I do need this for the TV to function properly???

7. Minayr

Minayr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've read elseware on this forum that the DVI input on the 5300 is dedicated to the tuner box and cannot be used as a standard DVI input, where as on the 5200 it can. There maybe another fix but I think you may need to get it shipped over to activate the screen.

8. StevieT

StevieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Minayr... It looks like that is the case... Does anyone else know.. If I bring it over will it actually handle the US PAL system???

9. StevieT

StevieT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All - it works... If you're thinking of bringing over the 42PD5300 be sure to bring the tuner box. You can connect it through the RGB connectors in the back to a receiver box. In my case this was a comcast HDTV ready box. I'm going to see if I can get a convertor from a normal receiver box for the tuner just to be 100% but I now have my beloved TV working in the US!!! :D Happy New Year