1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5300 & DVI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Blu Ray, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello there,
    I have been scanning these boards for the past few days, and, apart from a headache, I have decided upon the above plasma but am somewhat confused about the connections.
    I elected the 5300 over the 5200 because of the separate multimedia box. Wife comes out in a rash when she sees cables :mad:
    I see that the set has a DVI socket, which I know is HDMI compatible, and I can get a DVI-HDMI cable, but does the multimedia box plug into this? I have d/loaded the 5300 manual but nowhere does it say where the AV3000E plugs into! Assiming the DVI socket is free, is HDMI play PQ much better than component? There's not many HDMI players about, I know.
    Also, which is the best way to optimize Sky+ on this set, RGB Scart, Scart - component, or Scart - VGA convertor. I'm confuddled on the latter, as the manual says the D-sub is Analogue, and I thought Sky signal was digital. duh :confused:

2. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The multimedia box plugs into the DVI connector. There is no further DVI connector on the nox, just RGB. I'd recommend the 5200 if you want to use DVI (and yes, I know, more cables !!).

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Blu Ray,

Sky Digital broadcast digital signals, but unfortunately there aren't any digiboxes with DVI or HDMI outputs so you will only get an analogue RGB signal. One of the new HD sat receivers does have a DVI output though. I think you will need to go RGB to component as I don't think Hitachis can handle the signal from the VGA converter. Hope this helps.

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I was hoping to stick with the 5300 beacuse of the cable reasons and the fact that JL do it. I wasn't planning to put Sky thru the DVi, preferring to put the DVD thru that (better source quality). If going thru the RGB-component route, guess I'd need a JS RGB to YUV converter (£145 :( ) is it really worth it though?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not really worth it if you have scart sockets. There might be a small gain, but I think not with a Hitachi. The makers recommend RGB connections even for DVD for the panel only versions, get a decent scart cable and use that.