1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200H owners - Sticker question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samco98, Sep 17, 2005.

1. samco98

samco98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Hitachi 42PD5200H from an online retailer. I specifically chose the 42PD5200H version as opposed to the non-H version as I wanted some level of HD compatibility.

However, upon arrival, I noticed that all the labelling on the back of the screen says it is a 42PD5200 and the only attempt to differentiate it is by a big white sticker with a black "H" on it being slapped on the back.

My question to anyone else who has this screen is whether I should be confident that it is indeed the H version? I would have thought that a company as big as Hitachi could print off some proper labels for the H model rather than resort to adding big H stickers! I suspect everything's legit but just wanted some reassurance really!

2. Dave Sayer

Dave Sayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samco98
    I've just bought a Hitachi 42PD500H. Upon receipt, it just appears to be a 42PD500 with a sticker with a letter "H" on stuck on the back of the screen after the 42PD500 label.

What I'd like to know is: Has Hitachi really not bothered changing its proper labelling and just added an "H" sticker to its HD-compatible plasmas? Or have I been sold a normal 42PD500 and someone's trying to rip me off? I suspect its the former but I wondered if anyone else had a similar screen.

I believe the early 42pd5200 where made with 60hertz but when Sky annouced that they were to broadcast using 50hertz Hitachi changed the later tvs to 50htz. What does the instruction manual say or label stuck to back of tv.
    At the end of the day the H is compatible and not a true hd ready.

3. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The H series was upgraded to allow 720p@50z through the DVI however it is still unable to provide 720p@50hz through component, hence only HD compatible and rules out Xbox360 as this only will ship with component.

When I bought my H series I was also worried about the same thing however yes the only differnet sign is that big H sticker! so if you have that dont worry.

Email Hitachi@domgen.com your serial number and they will put you at ease. :)

4. samco98

samco98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that guys. In practical terms, what does having a 42PD5200H mean in terms of me getting HD pictures? If I get one of the new HD Sky+ boxes next year, will I need extra equipment to see HD pictures on the screen?