1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200E Banding?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neilandkaren, Sep 10, 2005.

1. neilandkaren

neilandkaren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

Newbie here so if this is an obvious one please let me know!

I have got a new HItachi 42PD5200E, and have had it for about 2 weeks. I've noticed that whenever you have tables/menus etc on screen which are dark in colour against light backgrounds, there is a banding effect whereby the image appears to ghost across horizontally.

I really notice it when you go into the sky menu for instance and you move up and down the options, the coloured bar continues across in a 'ghost-like' fashion across the screen (effectively like a paler negative). I thought at first it might be down to poor signal quality from sky but I am running my DVD through component and get the same thing.

I even get it when I have a light background on screen and have the TV's settings menu up.

I have found that it also happens if you have parts of a moving picture that are dark moving against lighter areas, you get this odd horizontal banding effect again. The simpsons is a good example with stark colours and contracts and its driving me potty!

Is it a case of not having the settings correct on the screen or do you think its more of a fundamental fault with the screen?

Thanks for any advice

Neil

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That can be a problem if you're using poor quality video interconnect cables. I have the 5300 version of this screen, and have not seen the problem.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I see it occasionally on my 5300 if I'm using the PC but it's not a problem with Sky.

John

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had the same problem with my Pioneer 433HDE when I had it some time ago with the Sky menu's being a good way of demonstrating the issue...it was also clearly visible on cartoon shows and even on some normal films...and using a PC was just a joke...it was one of the reasons mine went back.

I started a thread at the time as I went around and looked at many plasma screens and they all had the same effect to a certain degree...both my 6 series Panny and my Pio 50MXE1 also showed this effect but to a much lesser extent...I have never seen it present on LCD screens so can only conclude its something to do with the way the screens are driven.

Cheers, Lee

5. neilandkaren

neilandkaren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you guys think its worth getting an engineer out to have a look/see for themselves with a view to getting the screen changed? As I've only had the set a few weeks its an option.

The interconnects I am using are VanDam for the DVD and Vivanco for the sky box. What makes me think its not the interconnects is that it occurs even with the TV's own menu system.

Cheers

Neil