1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gazgits, Nov 16, 2004.

1. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all, I'm very new to this plasma screen world so any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Really confused by vast choice of plasma's but What plasma recomends the above mentioned Hitachi, what concerns me is the following:

1) Only 1 scart socket, surely I will need more than this.
    2) Is it HD ready, with this being available in the uk in just over a year I would like to know if this plasms will take advantage.
    3) Any better recomends for the same price, aprox.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Gaz

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The 5200 is a plasma 'monitor' more than a TV hence the lack of scart sockets. You can get the 5300 which is the same panel but comes with a media box that has 3 scarts, component, vga and svideo connections.

Depending on what you are connecting, the one scart may be enough - for example, you could connect a Sky box via the scart and a DVD player via component.

The 5200 can take a hidef signal but the 5300 (with the media box) can't.

HTH

John

3. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks very much John, still really doesn't convince me though. So it is hd ready. I have read on thesen forums that you can get a video box, what are they? does it let me connect more than one unit. Thx

gaz

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    You can get scart boxes that take multiple inputs and the you have one scart going from the box to the connector on the TV so you could for example, connect Sky, DVD and XBOX/PS2 to the box and then onto the panel. I think Argos sell one.

I'd suggest you might also want to take a look at the Panasonic 7 series which can be had for a very good price at the moment.

John