1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi 42pd5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by usman24, Aug 3, 2004.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I need help! I recently purchased Hitachi plasma pd5200 after reading positive reviews. My dvd player is tosh sd220 connected using profigold pgv33 component video leads. I have serious problems with greenish pixellation in slighty/very dark scenes on walls/wallpaper and have tried all sorts of things with no success. Does anyone have any advice how to get rid of the problem? I was considering a pioneer 868 avi player with hdmi to get rid of the problem but need advice desperately before a purchase. :lease:

2. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help mate as don't own one, but have just got back from Currys where I took in my League of Gentlemen dvd series 2. The opening of this is very dark with Papa Lazarou strutting his stuff. The pixellation was very apparent in the manner you describe - think this may be a failing of plasmas in general as the Panny 37pe30 next to it had similar problem though not so pronounced....

3. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the panny 37"PE and on dark scenes there is no pixellation, it's just jet black.

4. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On my hitachi 5200 using component looking at a black screen, if I set brightness to +3 or less it is fine - however the moment I go to +4 and beyond it goes green dot crazy. Try playing with the brightness to see if you can find a similar magic number on your panel.

5. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my old LG plasma and a Vivid TB100 scaler with component input (VGA out). I eventually when back to using S-vid into a Pro-V scaler(VGA out ,no component inputs) and the problem was solved.
    No matter how much tweaking I did I couldn't get rid of the problem. The Pro-V got rid of it even if the input was only S-VID
    It may not be a problem with the screen, but the attached tuner bpx

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    Perhaps its time to have a sticky for the more popular models of plasma

Get a test DVD - Avia or DVE - run the colour chart program and use the supplied colour strip

Go to Colour Management and turn that OFF (see my post on subject - this makes a HUGE difference)

Now go to the last colour option and adjust the individual RED and GREEN colours - for me red was lowered by about 10 and green by about 6

With DVD I would also suggest turning off all the NR options except maybe Black Enhancement

Like I said though - check out my colour management thread and see settings I have used - I now have a fantastic picture which is on par with my CRT set that I used to have

7. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have just found a way of reducing the "green" dot problem. Turn on black enhancement to low, turn down colour temperature [green,red-cut off level] to about -20 to -22 and blue to about -17 to -21 and this does reduce the effect a lot. Increase brightness to about +8 to +9, whichever you prefer. But before this it is advisible to purchase DVE [Digital Video Essentials-Play.com for £15] To set colour/contrast etc using pluge pattern and colour filters.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Or you could get it here for £13 inc ;)