Hitachi 42PD5200 which dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AGroucutt, Jan 1, 2005.

1. AGroucutt

AGroucutt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

First post on this site but have been reading intresting items for several weeks now. I've had an Hitachi 42PD5200 Plasma for almost 6 months now and I am extremely happy with it but it wasn't until now that I realised I wasn't using it to its full potential i.e. DVI Input and also I would like to utilise the Dolby Digital Optical outputs on both my SKY+ box and PS2.

I currently have a Panasonic SCHT80 all-in-one home theatre system which of course does not have any of the above features so after reading reviews I am considering buying a Denon DVD1910 and a Denon AVR1905 which Unbeatable are doing together for £398 which seems a good price. Due to financial restraints I will probably use my existing Pany speakers for a short period until cash allows it at which time are there any speakers which anyone could recommend?. Are the Denon's a good choice? Or is there something else in that price range that would be better.

I am concerned about issue with DVD1900 that Ive read on this site i.e. MB and that chipset. Have these issues been resolved with the latest firmware.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions/comments

Thanks.

2. ritesh

ritesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - Denons via DVI will give green tinge on your Hitachi (the newer firmware fixes it to an extent but it is still there)
    - Further whilst the macroblocking is reduced it is still there

I would suggest to use the DVI input for satellite or HD TV (not sure if it is in UK yet)

And use something like 2900 with component for superior PQ.

I have Hitachi 5000 (previous generation to your 5200 but the guts are the same); and I found the Denon 2900 via Component to be much superior PQ than Denon 2910 via DVI !

The only downside of 2900 is it is a bit picky with some disks, so try as many disks as you can; and if you find it reasonable; would be a much much superior choice than any DVD player with digital outputs (barring a few like the Onkyo 1000 and the Marantz 9500).

If 2900 is above your budget, look for its younger brother 2200 supposedly has the same PQ.

Due to macroblocking with Hitachi, I'd avoid any players with Faroudja, including the Panasonic, and all the Denons.

Regarding your other choice, if you are budget and want decent performance, get a digital AVR (instead of the analog one) like Panasonic XR45; that is next on my shopping list, it sells for very very little; and has the SQ of $10k Amplifiers (a friend is using it with his Logans)....the days of analog AVRs might be behind us.....

Hope it helps,

Ritesh

3. AGroucutt

AGroucutt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant really afford the extra 200-300 squids for the 2900. Hey i cant find a 2200 anywhere you sure thats the model?

I also cant find the xr45 only the xr50 ???

Anyone got anymore suggestions on another dvd player i.e. what about the samsung DVD-HD935? Anyone got this with the 42PD5200?

Maybe I should just get the Denon 1910 and put up with the flaws?