1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200 - Still not happy - help wanted

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dUnKle, Jun 28, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    Had the set almost a month now and still not over the moon with the picture

Via DVD it is superb but SKY still suffers from blocking and over enhanced pictures on moving scenes

How can I make it better

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    Forgot to add

Connecting Sky+ box to TV via a QED Scart cable

it can be a great picture - at times as good as the one from DVD but most of the time it suffers from this blocking, enhanced type thing

its hard to desctibe it - kind of like a oil painting or what happens when you play a movie in media player full screen when its not intended to be that big

its annoying to say the least

also - how the heck do I set the contrast

All the test DVDs with the series of squares dont seem to work on a Plasma - there seems to be no difference between lowest and highest settings when running that particular test pattern

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    anyone ?

there must be one owner with perfect settings

4. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    By blocking you mean mosaicing. This is prob down to your sat signal. Get a sat engineer to check it out. Does your terrestrial tv suffer the same?

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi Duncan - i don't have a plasma myself (yet) but i do have a 36" Sony CRT. Even this produces blocking on certain channels on sky. Its just the nature of the beast. I suppose the better the screen is, the easier the artifacts are displayed.

I have read on the forums though that certain image enhancements can be turned of on your screen to reduce the effect. Try a search.

What did you have before the plasma? I remember when i first moved from a standard 24" set years ago to a panny 32" widescreen. I was gutted at the blocks and blur. I soon realised though that this occurred on every set at the time and was related to sky not the screen.

Personally, if i get a good image from my DVDs and consoles - then i can live with the odd dodgy sky channel.

Maybe be thankfull that you don't have dead pixels or clouding! :thumbsup:

6. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan,

The problem is that the image from the sky box is compressed and bitrates vary. Recently with the football, if you looked closely you could see that the BBC football coverage uses a higher bitrate than ITV giving a better picture. Sky obviously give preference to their best premium channels. Football on Sky Sports will always look better! And Sky's movie channels always use a nice high bitrate!!

Anyhoo, with the new Hitachi there is a few settings you can play with to 'improve' it...

I played with these settings on one I had the opportunity to mess with:-

* Picture Enhancement
    * Vertical Filter
    * YNR (Picture Noise Reduction)
    * CNR (Colour Noise Reduction)
    * LTI (Sharpness of the Picture signal)
    * CTI (Sharpness of the Colour signal)
    * Horizontal Clock
    * Clock Phase

After making a few adjustments with all those I managed to get an RGB Sky feed to look a lot better!!

If you are still not happy you could perhaps try something like a JS RGB to Plasma VGA convertor. I admit though that I have not seen one of these in use on a Hitachi but on my Panasonic the Sky image looks great through one!

Also I found a helpful section on this model HERE

Hope some of this helps :thumbsup:

Wazy

7. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had my Hitachi 5200 for a couple of months now, and my picture through Pioneer freeview is generaly very good- it does vary though- Hollyoaks is spot on, Emmerdale is not so good and some of the live feeds broadcast by the News channels are dire.

I've heard that you do get a much better picture with freeview, but I've not tested mine with sky so am not realy in a position to comment!

Generaly I'm well chuffed

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I would also say that if the contrast patterns are not working on your plasma when fed from your DVD player then it may be the issue is with the player not the plasma...do you have a second DVD player to check? Is there a contrast control or picture settings on the DVD player....if so turn it down? Are there auto contrast controls on the plasma that may be affecting the useability of this function?

Gordon

9. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 5200 also and the same problem with the contrast patterns. On my previous CRT (using THX optimizer) if I turned up the contrast the white boxes eventually merged, with the 5200 I can turn it to the max and all shades are clearly visible, so I have to make a judgement call and set it to what I think is not too bright and won't mess up the panel.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Sorry I didn't realise it was that the windows were not disappearing. Thought they weren't there in first place.

Gordon

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460

Just out of interest - you dont remember what they are set at so you ?

I previously had a 32" Crt set - had it about 6 years - closest was I can describe it is as if (on skin at least) the TV is trying to make it look better - doubling the image - but one image is out of line and blocky

Thats exactly the problem for me - DVE has a step pattern which is supposed to be for Plasmas but no idea how it works

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Don't watch SKY :rotfl:

But seriously, the picture problem is down to the standard of the transmitted signal, DTT (Freeview) is exactly the same. They often try to squeeze too much information into the signal and end up having to compress it more resulting in poorer picture quality. Some tv programs have a higher amount of information in the picture than others hence the variability of the compression and the picture quality. Plasma tv's seem to be more critical of poor Mpeg2 signals than CRT tv's.

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    Well I have replaced the QED cable with a much cheaper THOR cable to see if there was a difference, and to my suprise there was

Picture certainly is better, and whilst the problem has not gone completly it is now much, much better

I think that due to how the scart goes into the TV (up rather than from the back as on CRT sets) it was not fitting properly, however the THIR cable is a straight on designed and seems to fit a lot more snug

As I said though, the problem is still there (just not as bad) and im guessing its down to those NR settings

Just need to work those out and also how to calibrate contrast correctly

14. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    duncan, when I queried sky and freeview picture quality on my hitachi pm400e plasma on the forum about 3 months ago I had loads of answers but in general terms we all agreed sky digital is pretty crap reception, roll on HDTV that is easy to get, suppose we will still have the same scenario with that, any way, I have 2 thor scart leads connecting sky and freeview via rgb to component converters into the d-sub inputs on my screen, then an arcan dv88 plus via mark grant's hugely thick component cable directly into the plasma component inputs, yes sky does suffer picture anomolies but I gave up trying to improve it as I had already spent a small fortune on cables and converters so I just put up with it now and spend the extra dosh on cheap dvd's off e-bay every day! One marked improvement I did make though Duncan and everyone else was to use a russ andrews yellow power cable for the mains to the plasma, instant improvement for me on picture anomolies cos the way my tv is on it's stand, the mains cable gets very close to the back of the plasma, enjoy.
    k

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    thanks

the Thor cable definatley has made a HUGE difference

now can anyone tell me how to do the contrast

16. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The contrast setting is a sub menu of the 'picture' menu. Keep pressing the right arrow key.

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    Sorry

I should be more clear

I know how to do it - its just how to do it properly as the standard contrast demos on calibration disc do not work

Check the posy above for explanation

18. smurch1

smurch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From sky, is the picture you get same sorta thing as the attached??? As I get a similar affect from Sky on close up skin tones? on my 42PD5300. I haven't had chance yet to play with the settings.
    BTW. no I am not a Lionel Fan, just first pics that came to hand :blush:

Attached Files:

19. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Where do ya get a calibration disc mate?

20. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    Yep - almost exactly that - im convinced its something to do with contrast not being quite right and also an incorrect combination of noise reduction settings

Got various ones - those from THX discs such as the first two Star Wars as well as DVE, Video Essentials and Avia

All the tests work with the exception of Contrast

they use a set of squares which are supposed to bloom - but do not seem to work on plasmas - DVE has a grey steps pattern (or something similar) which is supposed to be the one to use on a plasma but im not sure how to use that

21. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    Think the test I need to use is on the DVE DVD called

but although its there and does seem to be effected by changing the contrast level and brightness level I have no idea actually how to use it to obtain optimum settings

22. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've orderd DVE from amazon yesterday, let ya know how i get on with it.

23. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have calibrated my Hitachi PD5000 using th avia disc. Unfortunately I still get pictures equivalent and similar to that of the lionel picture. However, I dont think this is a problem with the plasma, as I was able to match all the video/filter calibrations apart from the fact it wasnt able to match the red exactly.

So i can you think that the problem may have to do with digital compression and signal strength of video done by dvb and sky( generally better channel depending). My Pioneer DV656 dvd setup is through component is a absulotely stunning, remarkably better performance from NSTC disc and the Pal equivalents. I expect that these panel compress and poor signals will be represented badly, thats why I havent got rid of my old crt that i still use for terestial viewing. And my plasma for pc, dvd and xbox.

24. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    You could have gotten it from pierro in the power buys forum for about 15 quid ,I think

25. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460

let me know if you get instructiosn and if so how that particualr test is supossed to be used

mine had no manual with it :(

26. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    I got no manual with mine , didn't think there was one :confused: .
    It does give instructions on what to do with the various test tho.Its just a chore to sit through them :mad:

27. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'll upload a copy of the instructions to my webspace when I revieve it & post a link to it.

28. TerryK

TerryK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity, why do you claim that contrast is not working with the test discs?
    If you listen to the Video Essentials commentary, they say that the image might bloom or it might not.
    It only has to do with the TV's electronics and phosphors.
    And that should mostly happen with CRTs.
    My Hitachi plasma 32PD3000 doesn't bloom either and neither does my 38" Sony CRT (except slightly at near the 100% mark).
    I have my plasma's contrast at around 40% (no numbers on the bar so it's approximate) and it looks great.
    Just set it until whites look white and you should be OK.

29. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :rtfm: Read my post on the first page of this thread.

30. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Plasma's don;t bloom. CRT TV's will. The blooming is caused by the phosphor being over energised. It starts to glow and energises the phosphor beside it etc....Plasma phosphor is enacapsulated in to little pixels to it can't expand or affect the bit of phospor beside it. Instead all that happens is you blow it's little brains out reducing the lifespan of your display in the process.

The moving bars or different brightness white boxes in these patterns are to show another artefact of setting contrast too high on displays with digital processing. The bars disappear/boxes merge in to one, when the dynamic range of the processing is crushed.

There are devices where this crushing will not take place at any point on the contrast scale neither will it exhibit blooming (for reasons just stated). In these cases accurate setting of contrast is hard and may be only achievable with measurement equiment(that's where I come in.......)

Gordon