Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hitachi 42PD5200 Screen Artifacts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Tinhare, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Tinhare

Tinhare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fixed

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    DO us a favour mate and pop that in the Hitachi thread

I have just noticed that on occasion (not always) im getting similar

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    AFAIK, most plasmas will exhibit this close up, it's part of the 'dithering' process the screen uses to make up colours and it depend on how many indovidual colours the screen is capable of displaying. My 5300 does this but it's only noticable if you get very close to the screen, it invisible from the viewing position (around 9ft away).

You'll probably find that changing the brightness setting has an effect on wether you can see the dots or not.

4. Numbskull

Numbskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep i see that - but i see red dots (32PD5200)

John is right - if go into any store that feeds their display plasmas a proper image (ie not finding nemo or monsters inc) you will see that this is a plasma trait if you will

and yes this is only obvious if you are up close to the screen, a few metres away this problem is not visible

i think the dots on the screen is the display trying to show/set apart different shades/shadows of the same colour, ie you can get rid of the dots, but then you will lose shade/shaddow detail - especially in dark scenes where the alot of the image will be complete black instead of showing the detail shadow etc (hope that makes sense) - again at the right settings the dots are not visible at a normal viewing distance.

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The process is known as active dithering. What it does is in areas where there is a shade the display can't render, usually dark shades, it will radomly 'spin' the pixels between two adjacent shades in order to give the illusion of achieving the colour. You can see what it looks like without active dithering on some poorly mastered DVD's and the digital cable/freeview broadcast if you look on a CRT display, and without this trick both plasma and LCD would be totally unwatchable for many people. As far as I know the really cheap plasmas and LCD's don't employ this trick, so they really are a false economy. Personally I can't stand the process and I've seen it to greater or lesser degrees on all plasmas and LCD's I've watched.

6. Tinhare

Tinhare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was asking for a friend thanks

7. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not seen the new Pioneers yet, I am interested in this too. In theory 7 billion colours is more than enough to eliminate the banding problem and thus the need for active dithering to disguise it. However, it's practise that I'm interested in and I'm off hunting for a demo very soon...

As for 68 billion colours, well again the proof of the pudding is in the eating so I'll wait untill I actually see one before I pass judgement.