1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi 42pd5200 rgb scart to component converter?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by usman24, Jul 6, 2005.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I own a hitachi 42pd5200 and was wondering if I would notice an improvement in picture quality if I purchased an rgb scart to component converter [js tech] [humax freeview box] and would the tv turn it into a progressive signal?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Don't think you'll notice much, if any, improvement as the converter does just that, convertes the signal rather than enhance it.

The Hitachi panels are inherantly interlaced so the signal won't be converted into a progressive one.

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Don't bother - I've fed my Hitachi 5300 with a progressive signal, and it makes no difference at all. As johndon correctly pointed out, the panel is "interlaced".

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    usman24,
    I noticed a considerable difference between scart RGB and component into my 32pd5200. I believe the signal remains interlaced as the convertor I used simply inputs RGBs and outputs component. My mate who is buying a plasma screen as soon as he is in his new home came to see mine and I demonstrated the difference. He commented on the same picture improvements as I had noted. While the above comments are not wrong, I think part of the issue is the PD5200's don't do scart particularly well. They do component a good deal better. My equipment is a Pace Telewest Cable box, the convertor was a Keene Aptus1. You do lose automatic aspect switching but that's cool for me, the improvements make it worthwhile.

5. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I checked out the hitachi website and they claim it is a progressive screen in the spec. I have also compared progressive and interlaced output from my denon 2910 and the progressive setting to my eyes, there is less shimmer and smoother movement with progressive.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's all down to the eyes that are watching, indeed. If you like it, do it. On the component converter front, Cable Monkey has put his finger on it. Stuff the prog/interlaced argument, it's how the screen handles RGB scart, a plug designed by a Frenchman (remember Trafalgar- I think scart is their revenge) and how it handles component. Component looks better on all the Hitachis I've seen too. And if you have an amp like cable monkey, you can route all your video via the amp, then you don't need the Hitachi remote, he can make do with just the 3805 remote in fact. BTW I hate that remote, it feels so cheap, and for such a lovely amp too! But the principle remains, 1 remote, not a sofa arm full, and picture benefits into the bargain. Maybe you need a 'try before you buy' or 'return if not worth it' deal?

7. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to sound dumb, but how is this done in laymans- ie what cables do I need and where do they go into tv etc. I have 1 scart lead running from sky to tv and reconnect(cheapskate) to dvd when needed.The dvd is old but has scart/svideo/digital. I need to connect this thing properly! I think on the remote i use component av4..

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your DVD neeeds to be shown the door, Rudy. Get one with component and/or HDMI. For other RGB devices, you buy a 'black box' converter with a scart plug on one side, and 3 phonos on the other. They are usually powered. so you still need a fully wired scart, and a component video lead too.

9. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Maw

I'm on a tight budget; which black box would you recommend?

I've got to do this AND upgrade the satellite dish!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmm, tight budget. I always recommend the JS ones. They are the most expensive, but without doubt the best in every respect. You can buy a CYP one from Lektropacks, I think some members use them and they are OK.

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It's definately not a progressive screen.

As for progressive looking better than interlaced, like Nick, I've tried progressive scan on my 5300 from an Arcam DV79 DVD player. I did loads of tests with a number of DVDs (both CGI and non CGI). As my wife knows nothing about progressive scan, I asked her to say which picture (progressive or non-progressive) loooked better and, without exception, on every film, she said the non-progressive picture looked better and, having had a good look myself, I had to agree.

John

12. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again Maw

13. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The remote is the most disappointing part of the amp. I do like that style of remote in principle (I have a first generation Kameleon 6 in 1 and it feels sooo much more substantial) but Denons implementation leaves a little to be desired.

John, the media box of the 5300's introduces an extra element over that of the 5200's. Even if you took off the media box and plugged the DVD in direct, you would still be talking about how that particular input treated progressive/interlaced. Not all inputs are equal, and despite having DVI out on my DVD and DVI in on my PD5200, I connect via component because the picture is no worse in my opinion and I am still able to switch aspects manually for my few but well loved 4:3 DVD's.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I am not disappointed by much else on the 3805, apart from Denon's dismal supply, and their awful pricing structure! I can buy them cheaper on the net than from Denon.

15. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Perhaps I should have said 'the only disappointing thing'! Every other aspect of it makes up for a plasticy remote.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A very capable machine, and ideal as an AV hub, with 3 component inputs and upconversion for other sources. We sell a lot of Onkyo these days, but only because they are available and well priced, not because they outperform Denon. Mind you, they do have a THX model for less than the 3805 if you are into letters on your kit. The upshot of this apparent off topic ramble is that this is how we connect everything to 1 component input on the plasma. Just plug your video camera in on the front input of the amp, and that is sent there too. A typical install for us might have 5 or 6 sources, what with music servers and consoles, and this kind of connection is so much simpler, as well as enabling best quality connections for sound and video. When the same is available at reasonable cost for DVI/HDMI too, preferably with upconversion, we will be really HD ready! The Onkyo 5000 has all this, but it's 4.5K, which is a lot of my money.