1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200 model, stock and price issues

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DavidChaps, Aug 8, 2005.

1. DavidChaps

DavidChaps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've ready every post in the Hitachi thread and a few others and have decided to buy a 5200. I don't like the look of the 7200 - or the Sky version of the 5200.

I see the model with a H suffix has caused much confusion over what it adds but it doesn't seem to take anything away from the non H model so if the same price it seems to be the one to go for ?

Best price I found for the 5200H is £1400 including delivery but I would need to wait two weeks for stock.
    Any supplier recommendations for new product ?
    (I'd consider a secondhand one if much cheaper but nothing has popped up on Ebay.)
    Warranty - I'm not a fan normally but still a high cost item so guess I should have some backup in case it decides to play up on day 366. Direct with D&G is £140 for year 2. Worthwhile ? Anyone experience of actual repair costs ?

Thanks,

David C

2. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Richersounds have the hitachi 5200 pro (pro??) for £1500 but three years warranty for £150 which is compulsory but a great deal. Their offer is instore not on the website.
    I was going to buy it but think i'm going for the samsung ps42s5h.

3. DavidChaps

DavidChaps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The PRO is the non H model with the addition of a Gold Scart lead. (Tries hard to contain excitement !) So H or non H, that is the question. as far as I can tell there is no significant difference in price (less than £100) so on that basis I plan to order an H as it's probably worth a few quid for the 50Hz option and I don't loose anything --- unless someone here advises otherwise ?

Still not decided on warranty, have found out the free DVD offer is only available at the smaller independents, but also that same DVD is buy it now on Ebay for £99 so not a huge added value.

David C

(Sorry for the slight cross post, I added some of the above to the end of the monster Hitachi thread but feel the need to add it here as well)

4. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Sound and Vision or RGB Direct. I got mine from Sound and Vision last week, it is the H version with the Prtable DVD Offer which you have to send away for. The turnaround from ordering was 6 days and the screen was delivered with no hassles at all. RGB Direct had them in stock but could only guarantee 7 day turnaround with an additional £30 payment. Both are retailing at £1389. For this price I doubt any other plasma comes close.

5. DavidChaps

DavidChaps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think they have put the price up (although I've just asked Sound and Vision and they denyed it) best I can find today is £1439 ? :(

6. Malvolio

Malvolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to be careful as I ordered a 5200H last week from a prominent internet retailer, good price at £1387 delivered. Unfortunately the actual item I received is a 5200E, i.e. the basic model without the 720p/50Hz input on DVI. After insisting initially that it was actually the "H", they appear to have conceded and are promising to swap it for the correct model. However, so far, this is all verbal over the phone and they haven't replied to my email.

7. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem. Initially I bought the set and was delivered the E model and the retailer tried to argue it was the same as the H. Fortunately thanks to these forums and a quick email to Hitachi themselves to confirm, I was assured the retailer was full of it. The TV went back and the money took some considerable time to be refunded p***ing me off even further. I then bought from Sound and Vision who were excellent. Just checked their price today and it has indeed gone up since I bought from them.

Malvolio I wonder if we encountered the same retailer?

8. DavidChaps

DavidChaps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's interesting, I'll try and get the price down from Sound and Vision but don't hold out much hope.

Can't believe price has actually gone up :eek:

I guess it might have changed because pound is weaker against dollar but I suppose more likely the retailers were confused about the models. Hitachi told me the cost of the H is a little bit more and so if retailer honestly thought that is what they were selling but they had priced it based on the cost of an E...

DC

9. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the prices for PD5200 are gone up in Germany as well by around 150 euro.
    I called few online shops and they said they are all sold out. and we have only E models (no H models here).