1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200 *IS* compatible with Sky HDTV - say Hitachi

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by leedavies, Mar 11, 2005.

1. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just called Hitachi tech support to enquire about the whole 720p/50 debate and whether the xxPD5x00 models will be compatible.

Hitachi say yes.

They say the Sky HDTV box will output *BOTH* 720p and 1080i, allowing the viewer to choose their format. They say it will not be a case of some stuff being in 720p and some in 1080i - everything will be available in both.

Although the xxPD5x00 won't cope with 720p/50, they will cope with 1080i, so we just won't be able to get a progscan signal.

Of course, we won't know for sure until Sky release more info, but fingers crossed Hitachi are right.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Provided you don't mind the locked in overscan this is all as 'correct' as anyone knows at the moment.

3. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    "locked in overscan" ?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hitachis don't scale 1080i, they crop to fit.

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exactly what I've been thinking (out loud :blush: ) for a while, again that should be no surprise really as that's exactly what they get "on the other side of the pond" (as you guys say :) ).

The overscan is 1024/1080 i.e. you "only" see 95% of the picture vertically (the rest is cropped off, this is done so that there is no downscaling required), pretty typical number for good ole CRT's so that's not all that bad. Horizontally the jury's out as to whether it's equally cropped or resampled (which then means a 5% distortion in aspect ratio, hardly visible really).