1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200 - hidden menus & black levels

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Grand Dizzy, May 15, 2005.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know how to access the hidden functions and menus, such as finding out how many hours the panel has been running for?

Also, I have never been able to get very good black levels on my plasma. Even when I turn brightness and contrast right down (which I don't like doing since the picture looks too dark) – I still get very grey blacks. In the menus, there are some greyed-out controls such as gamma. Does anyone know how to enable these? I'm sure I could get blacker blacks if I could just turn the gamma down.

Help!

2. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, dont know if this helps, but these are my settings for SKY and I feel they are the best I have ever got.

For SKY+ I use the following -

(on the SKY+ menu it is set to RGB and LOW contrast)

on the plasma I use the following -
    Picture Mode - Natural
    Contrast -1
    Brightness -1
    Colour +2
    Sharpness -5
    Colour Temperature Cool
    Contrast Mode Normal
    YNR - Low
    CNR - Low
    Film Mode - on
    LTI - Low
    CTI - Low
    Black enhancement - off
    Colour Temp Adjustments - off
    Colour Management - off
    Colour Decoding red+33
    green+37
    colour+1

maybe worth a try, but be sure to write down your setings prior to using them (not everyones tastes are the same), but I find these very effective

3. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i tried turning the colour down to b/w and then setting the contrast level first, then brightness. This gets you optimum settings. You should be left with around +4 contrast and -3 brightness.

Also, by turning the blue up very slightly and the red down slightly you improve blacks dramatically.

Unless anyone has any other tricks...

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The gamma levels might be disabled with RGB inputs? Just a theory, it should all be right from the source with RGB after all. I doubt you'd make any serious difference to black with adjustments though. It's not a hitachi strong point, bit like NEC and Pioneer in that respect. I'd set up brightness and contrast with the THX optimiser on any THX DVD. Connect the player to the scart where sky normally lives. Not perfect, but it's a start.

5. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not that bothered about picture quality of Sky really. Sky is a fairly poor picture (highly compressed), plastered in logos, and almost everything is 4:3, so I have to distort it, so I'm not too bothered about picture quality.

It's really when I'm watching a DVD that I care about my picture!

Does anyone have an answer to finding out how long the screen has been running for? I'm sure I read it once somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it when I do a search.